haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
This caught my attention:

Vilter et al. ('53) demonstrated that pyridoxine when applied topically in an ointment was effective in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis of the sicca type, whereas oral or parenteral treatment was ineffective.

Source: ABSORPTION OF TOPICALLY APPLIED VITAMINS

Just wanted to add that the link you provided has some very good reports about topical application of several water soluble vitamins from the B group. It shows that all of those vitamins are well absorbed when applied dermally. This should come in handy for those people with stomach issues who have trouble absorbing nutrients. The report even says that this is the recommended method for people with colitis, enteritis, IBS, etc.
Good find, thanks!

Filip1993

Is the solution they used necessary for absorption or would the vitamin dissolved in water work as well?

Kasper

When do you release your vitamin B complex shampoo haidut ?
just kidding :P

haidut

Forum Supporter
Filip1993 said:
Is the solution they used necessary for absorption or would the vitamin dissolved in water work as well?

They compared different solutions and for some vitamins the water based solution was ineffective in achieving dermal absorption. But the alcohol solution was very effective for all vitamins. For some vitamins it achieved better absorption than oral for the same dosage.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Kasper said:

Believe it or not, I am already working on it. It probably won't be a shampoo, but similar to the other two products I have in a small bottle. Still working on the formula but it will combine a number of Peatarian ideas.

Filip1993

haidut said:
Kasper said:

Believe it or not, I am already working on it. It probably won't be a shampoo, but similar to the other two products I have in a small bottle. Still working on the formula but it will combine a number of Peatarian ideas.

Very exciting! I'm definitely interested. Also, since I have trouble digesting fats, can I take estroban topically?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Filip1993 said:
haidut said:
Kasper said:

Very exciting! I'm definitely interested. Also, since I have trouble digesting fats, can I take estroban topically?

You sure can, and that's what the study "j." posted had in mind - topical application for people who do not absorb well orally. I think for the fat soluble vitamins they found equal absorption to oral. At least for vitamin D they did, but I have also seen data for E and K2.

Kray

haidut said:
Filip1993 said:
haidut said:
Kasper said:

You sure can, and that's what the study "j." posted had in mind - topical application for people who do not absorb well orally. I think for the fat soluble vitamins they found equal absorption to oral. At least for vitamin D they did, but I have also seen data for E and K2.

Haidut,

How about vitamin A topically-- do you know if topical absorption is equal to oral? I'm having to supplement vitamin A for some skin issues. It would be nice to know if topical could be a viable option. Only down side to that might be skin photosensitivity to UV light? I don't know if the form of A can make a difference there. :?

haidut

Forum Supporter
classicallady said:
haidut said:
Filip1993 said:
haidut said:
Kasper said:

Haidut,

How about vitamin A topically-- do you know if topical absorption is equal to oral? I'm having to supplement vitamin A for some skin issues. It would be nice to know if topical could be a viable option. Only down side to that might be skin photosensitivity to UV light? I don't know if the form of A can make a difference there. :?

The studies I have seen showed either equal absorption or slightly lower for dermal application as compared to oral. Also, dermal has the advantage that for some people allergic reactios tend to start in the gut and with dermal application this issue is avoided. Try it out, if it works you should get an energy rush and improved vision clarity usually within an hour of application.

LucyL

Are there any general recommendations for preparing vitamins for topical application? Would it be better to dissolve the tablet/capsule/gel cap in water, oil (like coconut) or alcohol? If alcohol, what type would be best - like a 70% isopropyl, or a 100 proof?

Any practical tips for topical application of vitamins would be greatly appreciated! :)

haidut

Forum Supporter
LucyL said:
Are there any general recommendations for preparing vitamins for topical application? Would it be better to dissolve the tablet/capsule/gel cap in water, oil (like coconut) or alcohol? If alcohol, what type would be best - like a 70% isopropyl, or a 100 proof?

Any practical tips for topical application of vitamins would be greatly appreciated! :)

I am afraid the answer is it really depends. For fat soluble vitamins, coconut oil and/or olive oil should work just fine. Also, I think some of the fat-soluble vitamins are soluble in alcohol as well but I don't know to what degree. The water soluble vitamins have varying degrees of solubility in water and alcohol and it depends on their chemical structure. You can find more by searching for things like "vitamin B6 solubility water" or "vitamin B6 solubility ethanol", and so on. That will give you some info. Each vitamin is different, and I don't have the information collected for all of them.
The study at the start of the thread discusses the solubility of some B vitamins and the different solutions they used. For some they used 20% alcohol solution, for others they used water, and for others the used isopropyl. Each solvent gave different absorption performance.

OP
J

j.

What happens if you put fat soluble vitamins on your skin without any solvent? Just pure vitamin A or vitamin E. Is it absorbed?

Kray

haidut said:
classicallady said:
haidut said:
Filip1993 said:
haidut said:
Kasper said:

Haidut,

The studies I have seen showed either equal absorption or slightly lower for dermal application as compared to oral. Also, dermal has the advantage that for some people allergic reactios tend to start in the gut and with dermal application this issue is avoided. Try it out, if it works you should get an energy rush and improved vision clarity usually within an hour of application.

Thanks-- by the way, can you point me to the link for supplements you sell to forum members? :)

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
What happens if you put fat soluble vitamins on your skin without any solvent? Just pure vitamin A or vitamin E. Is it absorbed?

Ray wrote that vitamin E does not get well absorbed in its pure form to the skin but adding a little olive oil makes the absorption "almost immediate". Vitamin E on its turn enhances absorption of progesterone. So, that's why Ray's product Progest-E has both vitamin E and oil. Oil for the vitamin E, and vitamin E for the progesterone.
I think vitamin A is better absorbed than vitamin E (when applied purely) b/c it is actually an alcohol and Ray referred to it as being "unsaturated", so probably has fat-like qualities. However, pure retinol is extremely unstable and oxidizes almost immediately, which is why it is usually in a solvent and with vitamin E as protector.

haidut

Forum Supporter
classicallady said:
haidut said:
classicallady said:
haidut said:
Filip1993 said:
haidut said:
Kasper said:

Haidut,

Thanks-- by the way, can you point me to the link for supplements you sell to forum members? :)

The link is in my signature shown on all my post:):
https://squareup.com/market/idealabs-llc
Also, for international orders you can use this link:
http://haidut.dyndns.org/estroban.html

OP
J

j.

haidut said:
Ray wrote that vitamin E does not get well absorbed in its pure form to the skin but adding a little olive oil makes the absorption "almost immediate".

That is very interesting, considering that I've been putting pure vitamin E on my skin, about 700 mg, and feeling progesterone-lite like effects.

I wonder what would happen if I add a little olive oil to it. I might need to apply it less often.

haidut

Forum Supporter
j. said:
haidut said:
j. said:

Ray wrote that vitamin E does not get well absorbed in its pure form to the skin but adding a little olive oil makes the absorption "almost immediate".

That is very interesting, considering that I've been putting pure vitamin E on my skin, about 700 mg, and feeling progesterone-lite like effects.

I wonder what would happen if I add a little olive oil to it. I might need to apply it less often.

If you add olive oil you can probably get away with much lower doses of vitamin E since most of it will be directly absorbed and not get a first pass through the liver.

Kray

haidut said:
j. said:

Ray wrote that vitamin E does not get well absorbed in its pure form to the skin but adding a little olive oil makes the absorption "almost immediate". Vitamin E on its turn enhances absorption of progesterone. So, that's why Ray's product Progest-E has both vitamin E and oil. Oil for the vitamin E, and vitamin E for the progesterone.
I think vitamin A is better absorbed than vitamin E (when applied purely) b/c it is actually an alcohol and Ray referred to it as being "unsaturated", so probably has fat-like qualities. However, pure retinol is extremely unstable and oxidizes almost immediately, which is why it is usually in a solvent and with vitamin E as protector.

Thanks for your link, Haidut. From your comment above about vitamin A instability, what form would be best and safest from oxidation standpoint?

I want something higher dose to treat a skin condition. If not retinol, would retinyl palmitate be a better choice?

Are they all pretty much absorbed the same? In the safer forms, is there a distinct advantage to topical application vs. oral?

Thanks again!

haidut

Forum Supporter
classicallady said:
haidut said:
j. said:

Thanks for your link, Haidut. From your comment above about vitamin A instability, what form would be best and safest from oxidation standpoint?

I want something higher dose to treat a skin condition. If not retinol, would retinyl palmitate be a better choice?

Are they all pretty much absorbed the same? In the safer forms, is there a distinct advantage to topical application vs. oral?

Thanks again!

The different forms of vitamin A are not absorbed the same. Some of them are made water soluble like that product from Nutrisorb, some of them are fat-soluble. Retinyl palmitate is a good option, retinyl acetate is probably even better but much harder to find retail.
I would not say there is an advantage of one form vs. the other unless the person has stomach issues and thus not absorbing well orally. Just do whatever gives you the best subjective effect unless you do blood tests to confirm which way is better for you.