B12 Deficiency And Hypothyroidism

davvid_1

hi, i have quite high b12 (550 pmol) without any supplementation. I struggle to understand the bio jargon of the studies above, how could this mean I have a functional deficiency?

does anyone know how b12 is associated with red blood cells? I have very high red cell count, along with very low mean corpuscular volume (MCV), and high red cell distribution width (RDW). High RDW and normal MCV show a deficiency in iron or B12, but low MCV shows i have the thalassemia trait, which results in microcytic anemia (supposed to have lower hemoglobin but mine is normal).
This is where my research hits a wall. Im trying to find if theres a connection between the overproduction of red blood cells, or the higher width or smaller volume, and some vitamin deficiency (possibly b12 since mine is elevated). In one of the papers above it cited the high serum cobalamin due to 'Polycythemia vera', which is a blood disorder that also has a very high red blood cell count, making me think of the possible connection. (pathophysiology of elevated vitamin B12 in clinical practice)

Im slightly hypo with cold extremities, slow pulse and severe chronic hair shedding, have fixed my diet etc, my ferritin is normal.

Last edited:

Recoen

hi, i have quite high b12 (550 pmol) without any supplementation. I struggle to understand the bio jargon of the studies above, how could this mean I have a functional deficiency?

does anyone know how b12 is associated with red blood cells? I have very high red cell count, along with very low mean corpuscular volume (MCV), and high red cell distribution width (RDW). High RDW and normal MCV show a deficiency in iron or B12, but low MCV shows i have the thalassemia trait, which results in microcytic anemia (supposed to have lower hemoglobin but mine is normal).
This is where my research hits a wall. Im trying to find if theres a connection between the overproduction of red blood cells, or the higher width or smaller volume, and some vitamin deficiency (possibly b12 since mine is elevated). In one of the papers above it cited the high serum cobalamin due to 'Polycythemia vera', which is a blood disorder that also has a very high red blood cell count, making me think of the possible connection. (pathophysiology of elevated vitamin B12 in clinical practice)

Im slightly hypo with cold extremities, slow pulse and severe chronic hair shedding, have fixed my diet etc, my ferritin is normal.
Have you done an organic acids test? If so, what’s your MMA?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale said that high B12 can be from a B1 deficiency. Basically the body does not have adequate B1 so it cannot utilize the B12.

Recoen

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale said that high B12 can be from a B1 deficiency. Basically the body does not have adequate B1 so it cannot utilize the B12.
B2 is important for B12 use too. And thyroid is important for B2. Old research shows B1 needs to be replete first.

Recoen

I havent! Ill look into it. What am I looking for?

Thanks! will look into it!
A low MMA. If it’s high it could be biotin or not enough adenosylcobalamin. And gives you more indication about why your serum B12 is high. The other markers for things like B1 and B2 will also be helpful.

davvid_1

A low MMA. If it’s high it could be biotin or not enough adenosylcobalamin. And gives you more indication about why your serum B12 is high. The other markers for things like B1 and B2 will also be helpful.

Sedonagal

Can anyone recommend an effective brand of sublingual B12 that is not cyanocobalamin? The brand I used to use is no longer produced and I have found other brands I’ve used to be in effective. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as my mother does have B12 deficiency

Nighteyes

Can anyone recommend an effective brand of sublingual B12 that is not cyanocobalamin? The brand I used to use is no longer produced and I have found other brands I’ve used to be in effective. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as my mother does have B12 deficiency

I currently use This one:

Bioactive Liquid Vitamin B12 Methylcobalamin Plus Adenosylcobalamin (50ml) 2,400 mcg (High Strength)

Just place a few drops under the tongue

invictus

Daily IM B12(cyanocobalamin)(first 1000 mcg, now 2000 mcg) taken at noon has normalized my sleep/wake cycle, significantly reduced my depression/cognitive blunting/OCD/irritability, raised my body temperature(near constant 98 to 98.4). When I ran out of vials, tried sublingual liquid B12, Didn't work. I'm not going to try to figure why. I've lost 17 years of my life to supposedly treatment resistant bipolar. Just turned 71. No more time to waste.

Amazoniac

- The Consequences Of Cheese As A Main Source Of Protein

⬑ [12] Staging vitamin B12 (cobalamin) status in vegetarians

1635380369704.png

um.... i was a b12 injector ( cyan kind ) for years until i finally figured out that I has MTHFR and my doctor switched me to ( methyl ) shots. I used to not eat much meat so I felt I needed them. I really feel that the cyan shots caused damage and the other shots made my levels WAY too high. when i went back to eating meat , i stopped all the shots ( i think they are ALL dangerous ) and now pop a sublingual when I feel I need it. the way you can tell if you b12 is low is by your upper lip thining. once you supplement with a good sublingual your top lip plumps up and then you know you have enough in your system.

ddjd

Thanks. The last link is particularly worrying when it comes to supplementing with B12. But it could also be that B12 rises adaptively in cancer as a protective mechanism. It would be nice if Peat provides a bit more clarity on its safety as a supplement.
Hydroxocobalamin is the only form that should be taken. Hydroxo- converts into Adenosylcobalamin/Methylcobalamin based on genetics, cofactors, circadian rhythm/light environment, etc.

Hydroxocobalamin injections are actually used in the case of cyanide poisoning, interestingly.

RealNeat

Since this book delves into the connection between hypothyroidism and homocysteine Im not surprised by this.

Solved the Riddle of Heart Attacks Paperback - Broda Barnes​

Amazon.com

Also cyanocobalamin may be the preferable form since it doesnt effect methylation and it seems very stable, even though there is some cyanide. Ray has mentioned before that multivitamins with many ingredients can oxidize each other and form analogs and unfavorable byproducts.

This analysis says similar, The Best Type of Vitamin B12: Cyanocobalamin or Methylcobalamin? | NutritionFacts.org

RealNeat

Recently, I have added Lithium Orotate (Swanson's) to my daily regimen--which includes Methyl B12 ---one of the main reasons I have added it is that lithium helps drive B12 and Folate into the cells.

I did not benefit much from regular B12 (cobalamin) or Folic Acid---I have several MTHFR mutations---but I had a terrifically good response to Methylcobalamin (Solgar's Methyl 12) as well as Methylfolate (Solgar's Metafolin).

I had been taking both Methylcobalamin and Methylfolate for about two months with great increase in energy and generally feeling good---then my energy levels leveled off--and I still felt I was not having optimal energery, and increasing dosage did not improve my energy.

So, I did more digging (Amy Yasko's ideas have helped a lot as well as several other MTHFR websites)--and found out that many people are low in lithium---and especially people who need B12.

I want to emphasize that I am NOT talking about the pharmaceutical grade of lithium: Lithium carbonate. And I AM talking about OTC lithum supplements (lithium orotate, lithium aspartate) --the OTC lithium supplements are used in far smaller doses than the pharmaceutical lithium---and with far fewer side-effects--and some very nice benefits.

Something to think about and/or experiment with.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13
Have you read all of Chris Masterjohns material on MTHFR? If not, i highly recommend it. He has some very well researched suggestions on how to balance MTHFR snps.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals