vanessad

Hi- From what I’ve read on here I’m in need of B1. I’m looking for suggestions for a good thiamine B1. I have hypothyroidism, pituitary growth (99) and thalassemia minor. Started HRT 3 weeks ago. Currently on Cabergoline & Armor. Started Dr. Peat protocols 2 weeks ago. Can’t get my temperature above 97.7 in my right ear but it’ll be 98.2 in my left?!? I avg them. Getting major flushing on my face around 6 pm nightly! With all that said…. Please Lmk anything you think that would improve my health not just make me feel better. Ty!

aniciete

Hi- From what I’ve read on here I’m in need of B1. I’m looking for suggestions for a good thiamine B1. I have hypothyroidism, pituitary growth (99) and thalassemia minor. Started HRT 3 weeks ago. Currently on Cabergoline & Armor. Started Dr. Peat protocols 2 weeks ago. Can’t get my temperature above 97.7 in my right ear but it’ll be 98.2 in my left?!? I avg them. Getting major flushing on my face around 6 pm nightly! With all that said…. Please Lmk anything you think that would improve my health not just make me feel better. Ty!
Flushing could indicate a serotonin increase. Before you start any new supplements, you should do what you can to figure out if any foods/supplements you are already taking are irritating your gut.

OP
V

vanessad

Flushing could indicate a serotonin increase. Before you start any new supplements, you should do what you can to figure out if any foods/supplements you are already taking are irritating your gut.
I was thinking the same thing. I get blood work done in 2 weeks. I’m wondering if this HRT has further messed me up. Thx for your input.

aniciete

I think progest-e would be a good supplement for you to try and stopping HRT. Hopefully some others can chime in too.

mostlylurking

Thiamine hcl is considered a safe supplement. Allithiamine requires glutathione to work; if you are low glutathione, side effects are more likely with allithiamine. Thiamine hcl does not have this drawback.

HRT; what hormones are you taking? Any estrogen? If yes, you might want to research that further.

Cabergoline (prescribed to lower prolactin) has a very long list of negative side effects, including kidney damage. If your HRT includes estrogen, it would exacerbate the prolactin issue. Progesterone is supposed to reduce prolactin.

Ray Peat: "Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest effects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers in birds), and on the gills of fish. Its involvement with milk production suggests that it might mobilize calcium from bones, and inf fact it does contribute to osteoporosis. This was foreseen by G. Bourne, in his book on the metabolism of hard tissues, when he suggested that estrogen, acting through the pituitary, might be expected to promote osteoporosis." link: Blocking Tissue Destruction

Please note the connection above between high prolactin and the mobilization of calcium from bones. Thiamine deficiency can cause this same issue via increased lactic acid and lowered carbon dioxide. The body tries to normalize the acidity by buffering with calcium drawn out of the bones. A thiamine deficiency can also cause the calcium to become trapped inside the cells via low carbon dioxide formation. Supplementing with some thiamine hcl could be helpful.

Although I relied on Armour thyroid for many years, it stopped working for me spring of 2014 when the company changed hands and reformulated the product. I switched to NP thyroid made by Acella, which works very well. My endocrinologist says it works just like the old Armour used to. Home - NP Thyroid

It is possible the 6pm flushing is caused by a rise in adrenaline, caused by a drop in blood sugar? You could try drinking a glass of orange juice with a little pinch of salt a little before the time the event usually happens.

KCM

Not to hijack the thread but I had a b1 question as well and I don't want to make another thread so close to this but did anyone experience muscle twitching from thiamine supplementation? did you do anything to get it to stop?

OP
V

vanessad

Thiamine hcl is considered a safe supplement. Allithiamine requires glutathione to work; if you are low glutathione, side effects are more likely with allithiamine. Thiamine hcl does not have this drawback.

HRT; what hormones are you taking? Any estrogen? If yes, you might want to research that further.

Cabergoline (prescribed to lower prolactin) has a very long list of negative side effects, including kidney damage. If your HRT includes estrogen, it would exacerbate the prolactin issue. Progesterone is supposed to reduce prolactin.

Ray Peat: "Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest effects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers in birds), and on the gills of fish. Its involvement with milk production suggests that it might mobilize calcium from bones, and inf fact it does contribute to osteoporosis. This was foreseen by G. Bourne, in his book on the metabolism of hard tissues, when he suggested that estrogen, acting through the pituitary, might be expected to promote osteoporosis." link: Blocking Tissue Destruction

Please note the connection above between high prolactin and the mobilization of calcium from bones. Thiamine deficiency can cause this same issue via increased lactic acid and lowered carbon dioxide. The body tries to normalize the acidity by buffering with calcium drawn out of the bones. A thiamine deficiency can also cause the calcium to become trapped inside the cells via low carbon dioxide formation. Supplementing with some thiamine hcl could be helpful.

Although I relied on Armour thyroid for many years, it stopped working for me spring of 2014 when the company changed hands and reformulated the product. I switched to NP thyroid made by Acella, which works very well. My endocrinologist says it works just like the old Armour used to. Home - NP Thyroid

It is possible the 6pm flushing is caused by a rise in adrenaline, caused by a drop in blood sugar? You could try drinking a glass of orange juice with a little pinch of salt a little before the time the event usually happens.
Wow- I cannot thank you enough for the thoughtful response. Re: the HRT it’s custom & they know I have high estrogen & low progesterone. Hopefully the flushing is the excess estrogen leaving? Idk. I try to keep my sugar balanced as soon as I feel it starting I drink milk w sugar or Oj & salt. Hopefully the blood work will tell me why! Thx again!!

mostlylurking

Wow- I cannot thank you enough for the thoughtful response. Re: the HRT it’s custom & they know I have high estrogen & low progesterone. Hopefully the flushing is the excess estrogen leaving? Idk. I try to keep my sugar balanced as soon as I feel it starting I drink milk w sugar or Oj & salt. Hopefully the blood work will tell me why! Thx again!!
Glad to try to help.

I had the unfortunate experience of being severely estrogen dominant and getting prescribed HRT that was made with an estrogenic soy base. It made me a lot worse even though it did not have specific estrogen hormone added to it. The soy base itself was the source for the estrogen. You probably should investigate your prescription product to learn what exactly it contains, including the "inactive" ingredients.

I've managed to keep my estrogen low with over the counter progesterone dissolved in high quality vitamin E oil (which is made from soy but doesn't cause a problem).

OP
V

vanessad

Glad to try to help.

I had the unfortunate experience of being severely estrogen dominant and getting prescribed HRT that was made with an estrogenic soy base. It made me a lot worse even though it did not have specific estrogen hormone added to it. The soy base itself was the source for the estrogen. You probably should investigate your prescription product to learn what exactly it contains, including the "inactive" ingredients.

I've managed to keep my estrogen low with over the counter progesterone dissolved in high quality vitamin E oil (which is made from soy but doesn't cause a problem).
I never thought of the soy in it! I’ll definitely ask! I used progesterone cream before this and felt good. Oddly enough I also used estradiol cream and that helped. That’s why I’m so confused!

mostlylurking

I never thought of the soy in it! I’ll definitely ask! I used progesterone cream before this and felt good. Oddly enough I also used estradiol cream and that helped. That’s why I’m so confused!
Spend some time learning about estrogen via Ray Peat's articles and interviews. Here are a couple of links:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the search cell on the left to search Ray's articles.
Bioenergetic Search use to search the audio interviews.

Here's one to start with:

View: https://youtu.be/eBaBZGcPyAE?t=14

In addition, here are links to three excellent interviews about estrogen and progesterone with Ray Peat; these are well worth the time:

OP
V

vanessad

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I’ll look into your suggestions.

mostlylurking

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I’ll look into your suggestions.
You're welcome. You might consider evaluating your diet to see if there is any exposure to polyunsaturated fats (PUFA). These are estrogenic and cause lots of problems. A popular food item now is avocado, which is high in PUFA and therefore estrogenic. Dr. Peat has said that PUFA takes quite a while (years) to leave the body, so avoidance is really important. There are multiple articles by Ray about PUFA, just search for "fats" using the search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless and you'll find them.

Here's a Ray Peat quote: "When a dose of PUFA is administered to a lizard, which isn't a hibernator, the lizard's body temperature is lowered by several degrees. There are probably many ways in which the PUFA produce that effect, besides increasing serotonin and decreasing thyroid. The PUFA are increased by estrogen, and they increase estrogen, and have some directly estrogen-like effects. Estrogen itself tends to lower body temperature and shift metabolism away from oxidative energy production. Aging, like estrogen, increases the body's content of the PUFA: Linoleic, linolenic, dihomo-gamma-linolenic, docosahexaenoic and docosapentaenoic acids are increased by age, and the longer chain acids increase more rapidly in women than in men (Bolton-Smith, et al., 1997). (Women are apparently relatively protected by progesterone, which inhibits lipolysis and prostaglandin formation, and protects the brain, thymus, and other tissues from lipid peroxidation and other effects of the PUFA.)" link: Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

Niacinamide can be extremely helpful in multiple ways, including dealing with stored PUFA. Use the search engine above to learn more about it. Here is a good one to start with: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) About a month ago, I changed the way I was taking my niacinamide (was 180mg 2Xday) to taking a smaller dose of 90mg 4Xday. I've lost 6 pounds just from doing that small change and my energy level has improved. I think the niacinamide is lowering my free fatty acids more efficiently via this smaller more frequent dosing.

Not to hijack the thread but I had a b1 question as well and I don't want to make another thread so close to this but did anyone experience muscle twitching from thiamine supplementation? did you do anything to get it to stop?
The muscle twitching might be related to magnesium deficiency? Thiamine uses magnesium so if you are low in magnesium you might experience stronger symptoms of magnesium deficiency when taking thiamine. It is recommended to supplement with some magnesium when supplementing with thiamine.

OP
V

vanessad

You're welcome. You might consider evaluating your diet to see if there is any exposure to polyunsaturated fats (PUFA). These are estrogenic and cause lots of problems. A popular food item now is avocado, which is high in PUFA and therefore estrogenic. Dr. Peat has said that PUFA takes quite a while (years) to leave the body, so avoidance is really important. There are multiple articles by Ray about PUFA, just search for "fats" using the search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless and you'll find them.

Here's a Ray Peat quote: "When a dose of PUFA is administered to a lizard, which isn't a hibernator, the lizard's body temperature is lowered by several degrees. There are probably many ways in which the PUFA produce that effect, besides increasing serotonin and decreasing thyroid. The PUFA are increased by estrogen, and they increase estrogen, and have some directly estrogen-like effects. Estrogen itself tends to lower body temperature and shift metabolism away from oxidative energy production. Aging, like estrogen, increases the body's content of the PUFA: Linoleic, linolenic, dihomo-gamma-linolenic, docosahexaenoic and docosapentaenoic acids are increased by age, and the longer chain acids increase more rapidly in women than in men (Bolton-Smith, et al., 1997). (Women are apparently relatively protected by progesterone, which inhibits lipolysis and prostaglandin formation, and protects the brain, thymus, and other tissues from lipid peroxidation and other effects of the PUFA.)" link: Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

Niacinamide can be extremely helpful in multiple ways, including dealing with stored PUFA. Use the search engine above to learn more about it. Here is a good one to start with: Ray Peat, PhD Quotes on Therapeutic Effects of Niacinamide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) About a month ago, I changed the way I was taking my niacinamide (was 180mg 2Xday) to taking a smaller dose of 90mg 4Xday. I've lost 6 pounds just from doing that small change and my energy level has improved. I think the niacinamide is lowering my free fatty acids more efficiently via this smaller more frequent dosing.

The muscle twitching might be related to magnesium deficiency? Thiamine uses magnesium so if you are low in magnesium you might experience stronger symptoms of magnesium deficiency when taking thiamine. It is recommended to supplement with some magnesium when supplementing with thiamine.

It really is mind blowing how much there is to learn. Thank you for sharing this info! What Niacinamide are you using. Are You using other B vitamins? And 6 lbs! That's terrific!

mostlylurking

It really is mind blowing how much there is to learn. Thank you for sharing this info! What Niacinamide are you using. Are You using other B vitamins? And 6 lbs! That's terrific!
I'm using pure niacinamide powder from Bulk Supplements. I packed on 25 pounds in about 6 weeks when the antibiotic Bactrim (prescribed for a uti) blocked my thiamine function (summer 2020). Although I did get the thiamine issue resolved via taking high dose thiamine (B1), the 25 pounds stayed packed in storage. I also developed high triglycerides so I finally tried tweaking my niacinamide and yippee it helped! I think niacinamide only stays in the body about 2 hours because it's water soluble so taking less of it more frequently helped me.

Here's a Ray Peat article that pointed me in the right direction: Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer. Getting my thiamine function blocked by the Bactrim put me into the cancer metabolism (definition at the beginning of that article). Here's a quote from the article:
"The features of the stress metabolism include increases of stress hormones, lactate, ammonia, free fatty acids, and fat synthesis, and a decrease in carbon dioxide. Factors that lower the stress hormones, increase carbon dioxide, and help to lower the circulating free fatty acids, lactate, and ammonia, include vitamin B1 (to increase CO2 and reduce lactate), niacinamide (to reduce free fatty acids), sugar (to reduce cortisol, adrenaline, and free fatty acids), salt (to lower adrenaline), thyroid hormone (to increase CO2). Vitamins D, K, B6 and biotin are also closely involved with carbon dioxide metabolism. Biotin deficiency can cause aerobic glycolysis with increased fat synthesis (Marshall, et al., 1976)."

Fat creation is a symptom of inflammation. I have been focused on lowering the inflammation; the weight loss is a happy side benefit. Realizing I was trapped in the "cancer metabolism" scared the crap out of me and proved to be a terrific incentive to learn how to correct my problem.

This same article discusses Fatty Acid Synthase (FAS). Here are a collection of the quotes about it:
"The enzyme, fatty acid synthase (FAS), normally active in the liver and fat cells and in the estrogen-stimulated uterus, is highly active in cancers, and its activity is an inverse indicator of prognosis. Inhibiting it can cause cancer cells to die, so the pharmaceutical industry is looking for drugs that can safely inhibit it. This enzyme is closely associated with the rate of cell proliferation, and its activity is increased by both cortisol and estrogen."

"A protein deficiency, possibly by increasing cortisol, is likely to contribute to increased FAS and fat synthesis (Bannister, et al., 1983), but the dietary protein shouldn't provide an excess of tryptophan, because of tryptophan's role as serotonin precursor--serotonin increases inflammation and glycolysis (Koren-Schwartzer, et al., 1994)."

"Aspirin protects cells in many ways, interrupting excitotoxic processes by blocking nitric oxide and prostaglandins, and consequently it inhibits cell proliferation, and in some cases inhibits glycolysis, but the fact that it can inhibit FAS (Beynen, et al., 1982) is very important in understanding its role in cancer."

P

Peatness

@mostlylurking your posts alerted me to the fact the my historical anitbiotics use, including one I took in 2020, may have derailed my thiamine function. Thank you. I'm taking thiamine and niacinamide too. Please are you able to share how you dose niacinamide?

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking your posts alerted me to the fact the my historical anitbiotics use, including one I took in 2020, may have derailed my thiamine function. Thank you. I'm taking thiamine and niacinamide too. Please are you able to share how you dose niacinamide?
I'm taking 4 doses of niacinamide daily; each dose is 90mg. I'm also taking the same amount of riboflavin 4Xday. I also take all the other items mentioned in the article I posted above plus progesterone and pregnenolone. I had eased off the aspirin but now I'm having problems with inflamed fascia (triggered by a very minor shoulder injury) so I'm probably going to go back to taking 1 gram aspirin 3Xday for a while. Think I'll go have some now.

P

Peatness

I'm taking 4 doses of niacinamide daily; each dose is 90mg. I'm also taking the same amount of riboflavin 4Xday. I also take all the other items mentioned in the article I posted above plus progesterone and pregnenolone. I had eased off the aspirin but now I'm having problems with inflamed fascia (triggered by a very minor shoulder injury) so I'm probably going to go back to taking 1 gram aspirin 3Xday for a while. Think I'll go have some now.
Thank you, I hope your shoulder gets better soon

OP
V

vanessad

I'm using pure niacinamide powder from Bulk Supplements. I packed on 25 pounds in about 6 weeks when the antibiotic Bactrim (prescribed for a uti) blocked my thiamine function (summer 2020). Although I did get the thiamine issue resolved via taking high dose thiamine (B1), the 25 pounds stayed packed in storage. I also developed high triglycerides so I finally tried tweaking my niacinamide and yippee it helped! I think niacinamide only stays in the body about 2 hours because it's water soluble so taking less of it more frequently helped me.

Here's a Ray Peat article that pointed me in the right direction: Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer. Getting my thiamine function blocked by the Bactrim put me into the cancer metabolism (definition at the beginning of that article). Here's a quote from the article:
"The features of the stress metabolism include increases of stress hormones, lactate, ammonia, free fatty acids, and fat synthesis, and a decrease in carbon dioxide. Factors that lower the stress hormones, increase carbon dioxide, and help to lower the circulating free fatty acids, lactate, and ammonia, include vitamin B1 (to increase CO2 and reduce lactate), niacinamide (to reduce free fatty acids), sugar (to reduce cortisol, adrenaline, and free fatty acids), salt (to lower adrenaline), thyroid hormone (to increase CO2). Vitamins D, K, B6 and biotin are also closely involved with carbon dioxide metabolism. Biotin deficiency can cause aerobic glycolysis with increased fat synthesis (Marshall, et al., 1976)."

Fat creation is a symptom of inflammation. I have been focused on lowering the inflammation; the weight loss is a happy side benefit. Realizing I was trapped in the "cancer metabolism" scared the crap out of me and proved to be a terrific incentive to learn how to correct my problem.

This same article discusses Fatty Acid Synthase (FAS). Here are a collection of the quotes about it:
"The enzyme, fatty acid synthase (FAS), normally active in the liver and fat cells and in the estrogen-stimulated uterus, is highly active in cancers, and its activity is an inverse indicator of prognosis. Inhibiting it can cause cancer cells to die, so the pharmaceutical industry is looking for drugs that can safely inhibit it. This enzyme is closely associated with the rate of cell proliferation, and its activity is increased by both cortisol and estrogen."

"A protein deficiency, possibly by increasing cortisol, is likely to contribute to increased FAS and fat synthesis (Bannister, et al., 1983), but the dietary protein shouldn't provide an excess of tryptophan, because of tryptophan's role as serotonin precursor--serotonin increases inflammation and glycolysis (Koren-Schwartzer, et al., 1994)."

"Aspirin protects cells in many ways, interrupting excitotoxic processes by blocking nitric oxide and prostaglandins, and consequently it inhibits cell proliferation, and in some cases inhibits glycolysis, but the fact that it can inhibit FAS (Beynen, et al., 1982) is very important in understanding its role in cancer."
Wow! Such good info! Ty! I just bought B vitamins in powder form to break into smaller doses. What dosages did you use to get that weight off? I’m so happy for you excess weight is beyond frustrating! Also, what’s your thoughts on aspirin? I’m taking 325 in the am. Do you know how much you can safely take. I’ve looked but cannot find an answer. Again- ty so so much!

mostlylurking

Wow! Such good info! Ty! I just bought B vitamins in powder form to break into smaller doses. What dosages did you use to get that weight off? I’m so happy for you excess weight is beyond frustrating! Also, what’s your thoughts on aspirin? I’m taking 325 in the am. Do you know how much you can safely take. I’ve looked but cannot find an answer. Again- ty so so much!
You're welcome. Ray Peat articles are a treasure trove of good information. He always includes a paragraph or two with helpful hints on what to do to help the problem. Here are two search engines that I use to find what I'm looking for:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the cell on the left to search Peat's articles exclusively.
Bioenergetic Search Use to search Peat oriented audio shows.

Here's an article on aspirin I found via the Peat article search engine: Aspirin, brain, and cancer Some of the articles have lost their formatting. I solve this by copying/pasting into a Word document; I like to make it two columns per page which I find easier to read. I print them so I can write notes in the margins. I find it helpful if I read Peat's articles multiple times; the first time through can be a little confusing. I found this aspirin article especially helpful because I take aspirin on a regular basis to keep pain/inflammation in check. Since taking thiamine I find that I need aspirin less frequently because my lactic acid is now under control.

Aspirin comes up a lot on the audio shows so searching for "aspirin" on the second search engine will result in multiple helpful discussions about it.

I've taken a lot of aspirin over the past 7 years; I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis with joint degeneration in 2014. I always dissolve my aspirin in boiling water, then I add ice cubes. If using aspirin tablets, the aspirin will dissolve and the extra junk they add to the tablets sinks to the bottom; just don't swallow that part, leave the dregs in the cup.

I had been taking about 180mg niacinamide and 180mg riboflavin 2Xday for about 6 years. About 6 weeks ago, I remembered that Ray Peat had suggested taking 90mg of these. So I got the scale out and weighed the dosages and accurately lowered my dose of both and started taking 90mg 4Xday instead. I lost 6 pounds. The other change that I made is that I am trying to not sit for long periods of time. I'm trying to keep moving. I find that easier to do outside so I've been more active in my garden. This is not calisthenics; I'm just moving around more.

Last edited:
OP
V

vanessad

Again- wow & Ty for sharing such good info! Glad the arthritis is getting better!! I’m trying to find powder aspirin. I’m trying to do mild exercises too- went from HIIT to walking was an adjustment. My muscle tone is looking bad lol but idc I just want to feel healthy. Btw- I started Methylene Blue. Wow another wonder product!!

Back
Top Bottom