B Vitamins Doubled My Total Testosterone Levels

OP
T

TheBeard

It isn’t. Sorry if I was unclear with that sentence I was saying we need bloodwork for free T and shbg before taking decisions and recommending hormones like vitamin D in high doses.

My low 25 hydroxyvitamin D seems like the only marker that's necessary to judge on supplementation necessity.

MitchMitchell

My low 25 hydroxyvitamin D seems like the only marker that's necessary to judge on supplementation necessity.

...no. PTH is a better marker, and if you consume lots of calcium and both PTH and 25OHD are low you most likely don’t need tons of oral vit.D. Go with symptoms anyway ultimately.

since Low vitamin D is associated with lower sex hormone binding globulin and higher free testosterone levels in men and women, and low vitamin D levels is associated with lower estradiol and higher dehydroepiandrosterone levels in women, looking at your incomplete bloodwork, you should get a better panel before going on with large doses of a debatable supplement.

PTH, free T, shbg.

OP
T

TheBeard

...no. PTH is a better marker, and if you consume lots of calcium and both PTH and 25OHD are low you most likely don’t need tons of oral vit.D. Go with symptoms anyway ultimately.

since Low vitamin D is associated with lower sex hormone binding globulin and higher free testosterone levels in men and women, and low vitamin D levels is associated with lower estradiol and higher dehydroepiandrosterone levels in women, looking at your incomplete bloodwork, you should get a better panel before going on with large doses of a debatable supplement.

PTH, free T, shbg.

I'll just supplement with it and see how it makes me feel.

Going through testing so many proxys doesn't seem all that relevant, as the results could be the sign of other things at play.

Hgreen56

At that time I was off ALL supplements. Not one pill would go through my system.
what was all these time youre diet looks like?
you don't need supplement b-vitamines if you have a proper diet.
Red meat, milk, liver everyday for example.

Explorer

My Total T was 475ng/dl the 1st and only time I measured that when I was 17 years old. Have you noticed any T changes depending on PUFA intake? I have been reducing PUFAs whenever possible for the last months since discovering and reading more information on this forum and wonder if that might change my T or other hormones and biomarkers and statistics. Been thinking about going for a bloodtest of hormones and Thyroid values and VitaminD and C-Reactive Protein but haven't done that yet. It'd be nice seeing more practical before after experiences regarding specific marker changes to build up knowledge about what practically has had an actual measured effect on certain things for others.

OP
T

TheBeard

what was all these time youre diet looks like?
you don't need supplement b-vitamines if you have a proper diet.
Red meat, milk, liver everyday for example.

Raw milk, liver, red meat.
I'm on a carnivore + dairy diet.

My test always came back around 500 on this diet, although it's supposed to give me all the nutrients I need.

That's why there is a difference between theory and real life.

OP
T

TheBeard

My Total T was 475ng/dl the 1st and only time I measured that when I was 17 years old. Have you noticed any T changes depending on PUFA intake? I have been reducing PUFAs whenever possible for the last months since discovering and reading more information on this forum and wonder if that might change my T or other hormones and biomarkers and statistics. Been thinking about going for a bloodtest of hormones and Thyroid values and VitaminD and C-Reactive Protein but haven't done that yet. It'd be nice seeing more practical before after experiences regarding specific marker changes to build up knowledge about what practically has had an actual measured effect on certain things for others.

PUFA or not never made the slightest difference in my test levels.

4 years ago I was on a multivitamin + Clomid, my test levels were 30% above top of the range, while I was having a typical western diet.

Now I have been on a strict carnivore + dairy diet, so virtually 0 PUFA, and my test is only 500 when off supplements.

Explorer

My test always came back around 500 on this diet, although it's supposed to give me all the nutrients I need.

That is what I have thought about too that often when someone presents something for example not as high T levels in many cases they are doing many things that are supposed to increase that but still don't get the changes that they are supposed to get according to the theory so that is why I like practical before and after reports of changes when having experimented with something.

Explorer

PUFA or not never made the slightest difference in my test levels.

4 years ago I was on a multivitamin + Clomid, my test levels were 30% above top of the range, while I was having a typical western diet.

Now I have been on a strict carnivore + dairy diet, so virtually 0 PUFA, and my test is only 500 when off supplements.
Interesting I wonder why exogenous supplementation helps that much is the stuff from foods absorbed and used differently or the vitamin type somehow works better for the body or it has some other effect?

RWilly

I'm thinking that the increased zinc from your carnivore diet may have been what increased T. (Zinc is lost during ejaculation.)

Careful though. I'd watch your iron and would be concerned about a copper deficiency. I'm not convinced liver is a good source of copper with your carnivore diet, as iron and zinc inhibit copper absorption.

Last edited:

milkboi

How are your energy levels on that diet?

Gustav3Y

B2 is listed as a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor. So, in theory, couldn't it raise T levels by inhibiting its conversion to downstream DHT? (Doesn't finasteride do the same?)

I get constant shrinkage from B2, so it probably has some anti-5AR effects, for me far from any benefits in terms of penile function .

Last edited:

Explorer

B2 is listed as a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor. So, in theory, couldn't it raise T levels by inhibiting its conversion to downstream DHT? (Doesn't finasteride do the same?)

I just had this thought because literally a minute before seeing this thread, I wanted to look for single substances that RAISE 5-alpha-reductase (activity). That said, does anyone know if one of the B-vitamins can do this?
Would the increase be almost double though isn't T to DHT conversion by the 5AR enzyme like only 5%?

OP
T

TheBeard

Guys, I have an update.

Second part from the blood test came in today, it was the Free T that they sent to another lab.

It came back at 13,3pg/ml (8.3-40.1)

So basically the same value as when my Test was 500.

So, those B vitamins increased my total T but also my SHBG!

Rather disappointed, but on another side I know we should go by feels and not numbers. And I feel better taking B vitamins.

Next experiments:
1) Vitamin D + vitamin K
2) Scrotal testosterone while on B vitamins, which I never tried.

Gustav3Y

Is there way one could calculate Total Testosterone knowing their Free T value?
Or do you also need to know your SHBG value to calculate Total Testoterone?

OP
T

TheBeard

Is there way one could calculate Total Testosterone knowing their Free T value?
Or do you also need to know your SHBG value to calculate Total Testoterone?

Why not ask the lab to directly measure it, like I did?

Gustav3Y

Why not ask the lab to directly measure it, like I did?
I ask for the simple fact I have some of Free T values from the past and even SHBG at times, but no Total T values.
I thought I might be able to reverse calculate it.