B. subtilis and B. licheniformis and milk

Beastmode

Peat has mentioned how he cultured probiotics in the past via milk and I'm wondering if anyone here has experimented with it as well?

"I had a product from the Ukraine that contained them. The vials contained an antioxidant, so I cultured them in milk to make an endless supply of them."

I'm using the megasporebiotic one specifically as it has 2 of the strains (B. subtilis and B. licheniformis) he's mentioned as helpful for some people.

Seems really hard to quantify how much more of these one would get after being cultured in milk for a period of time.

Perry Staltic

You're just making yogurt. I don't know how well the megaspore will do, but it's worth a try. I've done it with b. coagulens, which didn't work too well, and some bfdidobacteria, which worked OK.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

You're just making yogurt. I don't know how well the megaspore will do, but it's worth a try. I've done it with b. coagulens, which didn't work too well, and some bfdidobacteria, which worked OK.
Makes sense; yogurt without the lactic acid.

I mixed a capsule in a cup of milk. Leaving it overnight and I'll start tomorrow with a few oz per day to see if I notice anything.

Perry Staltic

Makes sense; yogurt without the lactic acid.

I mixed a capsule in a cup of milk. Leaving it overnight and I'll start tomorrow with a few oz per day to see if I notice anything.

You could probably do one capsule per quart/liter. Keep it warm.

Perry Staltic

How so if I'm not drinking it all at once?

I left one capsule in a covered cup of milk last night in the refrigerator.

It has to be warm for the bacteria to multiply. The magic won't happen in the fridge. I used a yogurt maker which made a batch in about 8-10 hours. It will take longer if kept at a cooler temp.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

It has to be warm for the bacteria to multiply. The magic won't happen in the fridge. I used a yogurt maker which made a batch in about 8-10 hours. It will take longer if kept at a cooler temp.
So if I warm the milk up a bit and leave it on the counter covered for the day, it should multiply well by that point to where I can put it in the fridge from that point on between drinking it?

Perry Staltic

So if I warm the milk up a bit and leave it on the counter covered for the day, it should multiply well by that point to where I can put it in the fridge from that point on between drinking it?

I haven't done it that way, but apparently it works. It just takes longer. Warm it up to about 110* F (43* C) and mix in well the probiotic. Let sit until it gets firm like yogurt, then refrigerate and consume as desired. You can save a portion and use it to start a new batch. If you can keep it warmer than room temp, that will be better. It most likely won't get as firm as store bought yogurt and will be more watery. But you will be able to tell if it's multiplying.

conrad0602

Would the megasporebiotic strains create a problematic amount of lactic acid in the same way other probiotic strains do?

WonMore

Would the megasporebiotic strains create a problematic amount of lactic acid in the same way other probiotic strains do?
Bump. Does the yogurt come out sour? How long can you keep it in the refrigerator after making?

Jib

I've never tried this, but having made kefir for many, many years:

Mesophilic bacteria reproduce at room temp. Thermophilic need some heat. Yogurt makers or Instant Pots with a Yogurt Maker setting can heat up to around 105-110 and stay there, perfect for bacterial proliferation.

You should be able to keep it in the fridge for at least a couple weeks. I used to keep a 1 gallon jug of kefir going at all times. I'd drink about a quart a day, but sometimes less, and sometimes I wouldn't touch it for a week or two. Always was fine. Notice whatever your culture smells like when it's ready, and after a day of refrigeration, and just use the smell test. I highly doubt it would go "off" anytime soon, but scent is a good way to tell if something's up. That, or texture changes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals