B Complex Vitamins = Fluorescent Urine + Unstoppable Burping!

ivy

What should I make of these symptoms?
This is the exact formula I took - probably a hasty decision cause I got scared with seasonal shedding...

B-Complex "100" Vegetable Capsules Solgar Vitamins, Minerals, and Herbs.

From what I read, the yellow dye results from excess riboflavin being flushed. What exactly could be causing such stomach discomfort? I took one pill for two days in a row and I'm not sure I should keep it up. Any insights would be helpful, thanks!

Frankdee20

Try taking 1 capsule with food. Solgar has lots of excipients though.

sele

B-complex is never a good idea.
Also, this contains toxic silica.

sele

What makes you think that B vitamins help with seasonal shedding?
The real cause for your shedding could be histamines, endotoxin or just red light deficiency.

OP
ivy

ivy

@sele, by late summer, sometimes as early as mid July, my hair falls like crazy and from February on it grows. I've had hair issues since my teens, but only over the past four years have I been able to pinpoint this pattern. I get plenty of sun all year round, so I doubt it's red light deficiency. I've been Peating for four months or so, with no supplements, and I hoped I would shed a little less this year. So to answer your question, nothing made me think of this mix except for panic and convenience (it met my eye in the supermarket).

tara

I'm no expert, but my impression is that unless you have a specific need for extra large amounts of them, that contains more B2 and esp. B6 than would be suitable for most people for regular use. I don't know if that would be expected to have gut effects. I think Peat has said 10mg B6 is a big dose. Long term excess supplementation seems to risk trouble for some people. There are situations where large mounts of B2 might be worth it, but for the average person, I wonder if 10-20mg might be more like it?

There seem to be questions about the value of supplementing B5 and folic acid - I'm not up with them - but personally I wouldn't be sad about reducing the dose.

If you decide to keep using the bottle for convenience since you have it, I'd consider shaking out a little of the contents of a capsule per dose, rather than taking the whole thing.

OP
ivy

ivy

I'm no expert, but my impression is that unless you have a specific need for extra large amounts of them, that contains more B2 and esp. B6 than would be suitable for most people for regular use. I don't know if that would be expected to have gut effects. I think Peat has said 10mg B6 is a big dose. Long term excess supplementation seems to risk trouble for some people. There are situations where large mounts of B2 might be worth it, but for the average person, I wonder if 10-20mg might be more like it?

There seem to be questions about the value of supplementing B5 and folic acid - I'm not up with them - but personally I wouldn't be sad about reducing the dose.

If you decide to keep using the bottle for convenience since you have it, I'd consider shaking out a little of the contents of a capsule per dose, rather than taking the whole thing.

@tara, thank you for the input. I don't want to feel like I've thrown this money out the window, so I might be taking half a capsule every other day or so. I doubt that these reactions are from the excipients, but I had no idea I could be overdosing dangerously with an over-the-counter mix.

Has anyone taken the time to compile Peat's optimal/recommended dosage for each supplement, do you know? A thread with that kind of info would be extremely helpful.

sweetpeat

Regarding the hair shedding, you say you get plenty of light, but I'm wondering if it's the overall duration of light that affects it. I have the same exact pattern as you. The shedding starts about six weeks after summer solstice. Then it stops mid-winter as the hours of daylight start increasing again. But where I live there are distinct seasons. Do you live near the equator?

OP
ivy

ivy

Regarding the hair shedding, you say you get plenty of light, but I'm wondering if it's the overall duration of light that affects it. I have the same exact pattern as you. The shedding starts about six weeks after summer solstice. Then it stops mid-winter as the hours of daylight start increasing again. But where I live there are distinct seasons. Do you live near the equator?

I live in the North of Portugal. It can get rather humid, and that usually doesn't help either, but we have distinct seasons, absolutely. This pattern is what makes Peat's narrative of metabolic winter so logical to me. But I can't seem to turn it around on my own.

tara

Has anyone taken the time to compile Peat's optimal/recommended dosage for each supplement, do you know? A thread with that kind of info would be extremely helpful.
I don't think Peat recommends regular supplementation for most people on an ongoing basis - he tends to favour getting nutrition from food in general. Liver is good for B-vits. Exception for particular conditions and some supplements safer than others. If all his comments on the subject have been gathreed in one place I'm not aware of it.
From memory:
I think he's said niacinamide 50-100 mg a few times a day with meals can help with oxidative metabolism.
B6 he's recommended B6 to people in some cases, and has somewhere said 10 mg is a big dose.
B12 deficiency can interfere with conversion of carotene to usable vit-A.
He's mentioned B2 particularly as being commonly allergenic.

I think Haidut put some effort into figuring out what he thought would be optimal daily doses of some of them for average users, and that guided his formulation of Idealabs energin supplement - you could look up the first page of his thread on that.

OP
ivy

ivy

I don't think Peat recommends regular supplementation for most people on an ongoing basis - he tends to favour getting nutrition from food in general. Liver is good for B-vits. Exception for particular conditions and some supplements safer than others. If all his comments on the subject have been gathreed in one place I'm not aware of it.
From memory:
I think he's said niacinamide 50-100 mg a few times a day with meals can help with oxidative metabolism.
B6 he's recommended B6 to people in some cases, and has somewhere said 10 mg is a big dose.

I think Haidut put some effort into figuring out what he thought would be optimal daily doses of some of them for average users, and that guided his formulation of Idealabs energin supplement - you could look up the first page of his thread on that.

Great help as usual, @tara

I would much rather invest on nutrition than supplements and I think the major changes I've implemented already. I'm mostly eating non starchy fruit, small amounts of cheese and greek yoghurt (goat or sheep if available), some meat, grass-fed beef gelatin, occasional fish/seafood, rice cakes, rice or potatoes. Went from decaf to regular coffee, which clears my mind in the morning and even helps me sleep. Drinking carbonated water with lemon/acv before meals has helped digestion and skin immensely. But somethings I can't eat: oysters are too expensive, liver makes me nauseous and melons cause me acute bowel pain/fluid issues.

I do feel like there are a few months in the year when I could use a boost, will be checking Energin, thanks for the tip.

From memory:

GreekDemiGod

I just took the same B complex (50 Potency, still very high) yesterday and too, experienced fluorescent urine, so probably riboflavin being flushed. Other than that, no side effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals