B Complex Causing Anxiety

Frankdee20

So after a long hiatus, started using the Pure Encapsulations B complex Plus. It contains all the methylated versions of the Bs. This stuff is strong and causes anxiety well into the night. I’ve used the product before, with no problems. Perhaps it manifested in other ways though and I didn’t notice it. I’m guessing the sudden increase in methyl groups has the brain a bit overwhelmed. Is it the methylfolate ?

I think it takes a while to adjust or maybe I already replenished my B vitamin stores. Would adding Niacinamide eat up methyl groups or just plain niacin ? Honestly I’m fine without this

Last edited:

tara

Are you eating food with it?

Elephanto

B5 potentiates ACTH-induced cortisol secretion. From isolating B vitamins, it is the only one that produces a stressing effect for me when taken in doses over the RDA (30mg for instance).

these results also showed that pantothenic acid supplementation induced adrenal hyperresponsiveness to ACTH stimulation
(at 0.03% panthotenic acid in drinking water)
Effects of pantothenic acid supplementation on adrenal steroid secretion from male rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The increase in methylation could be a cause too.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

B5 potentiates ACTH-induced cortisol secretion. From isolating B vitamins, it is the only one that produces a stressing effect for me when taken in doses over the RDA (30mg for instance).

(at 0.03% panthotenic acid in drinking water)
Effects of pantothenic acid supplementation on adrenal steroid secretion from male rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The increase in methylation could be a cause too.

Yeah I thought about B 5 as well. There’s a hundred milligrams in one pill. That B5 also increases acetylcholine too. It’s tough to say what it really is.

nad

My 2 cents - one Dr. sad that B-s lowering blood sugar, so you need to consume a lot of carbs. before & with it.
I had the issue before knowing it w/ B complex - light head & anxiety.
Interesting also few years ago I was silly to take 500 mg of B-5 for lowering cholesterol, didn't have any notable side effect (maybe hiding in long way), cholest. WAS lowered a little (from 315 to ~300).
What damage should I expect, that I may be not addressed to this?

fradon

So after a long hiatus, started using the Pure Encapsulations B complex Plus. It contains all the methylated versions of the Bs. This stuff is strong and causes anxiety well into the night. I’ve used the product before, with no problems. Perhaps it manifested in other ways though and I didn’t notice it. I’m guessing the sudden increase in methyl groups has the brain a bit overwhelmed. Is it the methylfolate ?

I think it takes a while to adjust or maybe I already replenished my B vitamin stores. Would adding Niacinamide eat up methyl groups or just plain niacin ? Honestly I’m fine without this

i just looked it up on amazon and the amount of B vitamin is off the charts.

can you cut the pill in half or quarters so you don't get such a big hit.

Elephanto

My 2 cents - one Dr. sad that B-s lowering blood sugar, so you need to consume a lot of carbs. before & with it.
I had the issue before knowing it w/ B complex - light head & anxiety.
Interesting also few years ago I was silly to take 500 mg of B-5 for lowering cholesterol, didn't have any notable side effect (maybe hiding in long way), cholest. WAS lowered a little (from 315 to ~300).
What damage should I expect, that I may be not addressed to this?

There have been several testimonies on the internet by women of B5 causing hair loss in doses like you mentioned. They were taking it to combat acne, based on its competition with Biotin (which is somewhat true, Biotin can increase sebum production). I would mainly consider Biotin depletion as a long-term effect.

nad

There have been several testimonies on the internet by women of B5 causing hair loss in doses like you mentioned. They were taking it to combat acne, based on its competition with Biotin (which is somewhat true, Biotin can increase sebum production). I would mainly consider Biotin depletion as a long-term effect.
Ironically didn't noticed that w/b-5, and biotin 1000 mg 3-5 t/week for ~6-7 month now had nothing to help w/ VERY hair loosing (taking it w/ b-1, 2, 6, & niacinamide)

Elephanto

Ironically didn't noticed that w/b-5, and biotin 1000 mg 3-5 t/week for ~6-7 month now had nothing to help w/ VERY hair loosing (taking it w/ b-1, 2, 6, & niacinamide)
Possible, I think Biotin is much more beneficial in small doses close to RDA. It is pretty much impossible to get significantly high doses of Biotin from food. I've tried larger doses and never noticed positive effects regarding hair, and possibly decreased hair quality. Besides increased sebum production, maybe its involvement in fatty acid synthesis also contributes, which for general health should be minimized.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

i just looked it up on amazon and the amount of B vitamin is off the charts.

can you cut the pill in half or quarters so you don't get such a big hit.

I think 2 was overkill and I had like 4 coffees with it lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals