Azithromycin (zithromax/z-pack)

Ashoka

Are you guys familiar with this antibiotic? I think it’s commonly prescribed for mild/moderate pneumonia and also cfs and lyme disease. Just wondering what you think about its use in a rat with walking pneumonia-type issues. The vet prescribed it.

There was also a study a while back linking it to increase risk of developing heart arrhythmia and cardiac issues, which is what I’m wondering about. But apparently this is something common to many antibiotics, including even amoxicillin?

This article paints a seemingly in depth and different picture of it: Myth-busting: Azithromycin does not cause torsade de pointes or increase mortality

And this describes a large recent study which says it isn’t any more dangerous than amoxicillin:

Link between azithromycin and arrhythmia because of confounding by indication, say researchers

This is a more conventional article:
What is the Heart Risk With Azithromycin (Zithromax Z-Pack)?

Just wanted to know if you had an opinion on it, had come across it, or had personal experiences with it

rawmeat

this is what they regularly prescribe to patients with chlamydia--4 tablets at once.

I think it’s okay.

I use it when I have a bacterial infection and it works well. I know people who use it occasionally.

People sometimes use it for months or years, and it seems okay. I haven’t done in depth research on it.

Dr. Peat seems to prefer penicillin and tetracycline type drugs, which include minocycline, doxycycline, amoxycillin...and those are what I use more often. But if I’m very sick I won’t hesitate to use aziithromycin.

rawmeat

I think it’s okay.

I use it when I have a bacterial infection and it works well. I know people who use it occasionally.

People sometimes use it for months or years, and it seems okay. I haven’t done in depth research on it.

Dr. Peat seems to prefer penicillin and tetracycline type drugs, which include minocycline, doxycycline, amoxycillin...and those are what I use more often. But if I’m very sick I won’t hesitate to use aziithromycin.

what do you recon is a good dose/time period to take doxy to clear up endotoxin?

LuMonty

Z-pack works really well, definitely the strongest stuff I've used. Unfortunately I'm allergic to it. To compare it to my favorite amoxicillin, it seems to act more quickly. My family members said the same: too harsh at once. I don't know anything about its safety. So if you don't specifically need it, doxy and a form of penicillin seems to do just as well, just takes longer. That said, this would be one of the times I listen to the doctor prescribing the medication.

I would use doxy or amoxy for general endotoxin work...I'd reserve arithromycin for a real bug...

OP
Ashoka

Ashoka

It seems like a decent antibiotic for short term use, but it was the understanding that it wasn’t good for people with cardiac issues that put me off. Personally I don’t know if cardiac issues are present, but the rat has been under stress for a terribly long time. It often can’t get to sleep due to insomnia from lyme disease presumably. Recently this problem has become worse.

But these newer papers seem to be suggesting that risk was never more pronounced than what one could expect with amoxicillin, which is not pharmacologically considered to increase cardiac issues.

Last edited:

jack_zen

I used it together with Amoxicillin, because I had a lot of fatigue and the Dr. suspected Lime.
The fatigue did not get better too much, but my skin problems (mainly acne) improved a lot. Side effect was diarrhea while taking it.
Acne came back after a few months and my digestion was worse then before.

At the moment I am doing a second course of the two antibiotics too get my good skin back. My plan is too use some probiotics (L. Reuteri bacteria)afterwards to keep my gut stable.

I also used Minocyclin which did not help me with the acne.

Lolinaa

I used it together with Amoxicillin, because I had a lot of fatigue and the Dr. suspected Lime.
The fatigue did not get better too much, but my skin problems (mainly acne) improved a lot. Side effect was diarrhea while taking it.
Acne came back after a few months and my digestion was worse then before.

At the moment I am doing a second course of the two antibiotics too get my good skin back. My plan is too use some probiotics (L. Reuteri bacteria)afterwards to keep my gut stable.

I also used Minocyclin which did not help me with the acne.

Did you find a solution for your acne?

jack_zen

Did you find a solution for your acne?

not really. With a good diet it is mild. But the spots on the body never disappear fully.
As I said before the antibiotics help to have very good skin for some months. But then the problem comes back.
Thats why I am trying to use some "good" probiotic bacteria after this course of antibiotics, even it is not so peaty. I hope it will help to keep away the bad bacteria/candida.
I also take Vitamin A with some E which helps also to some degree I think.

I think it is all connected to good gut health/digestion. And digestion can be bad if hypothyroid due to low stomach acid etc.
I am also taking T3 only (tyronene) atm. While it improves my energy it makes my skin worse. Possibly because the T3 demands more nutrients which my gut maybe fails to deliver.

Lolinaa

not really. With a good diet it is mild. But the spots on the body never disappear fully.
As I said before the antibiotics help to have very good skin for some months. But then the problem comes back.
Thats why I am trying to use some "good" probiotic bacteria after this course of antibiotics, even it is not so peaty. I hope it will help to keep away the bad bacteria/candida.
I also take Vitamin A with some E which helps also to some degree I think.

I think it is all connected to good gut health/digestion. And digestion can be bad if hypothyroid due to low stomach acid etc.
I am also taking T3 only (tyronene) atm. While it improves my energy it makes my skin worse. Possibly because the T3 demands more nutrients which my gut maybe fails to deliver.

Hi, I am seeing good results with vitamin a at night, d during the day when no sun exposure and red light twice per week.

I fade the marks with niacinamide. They have not completely disappeared but I look healthy and my skin looks great.

T

TheBeard

I think it’s okay.

How often do you use antibiotics?

Have you not noticed a candida flare up after frequent usage?

KitKat

Hi. I am new. I have Lyme disease. Bit 2 years ago but did not get bulls eye. Not aware of Lyme at that time. Got hormone issues, thyroid problems, insomnia, severe joint pain and walking pneumonia. Occasionally, shooting leg pain and tingling in hands. No help from medical in diagnosing symptoms. 2 months ago went to Naturopath tested and diagnosed. Have Mycoplasma, EBV, and Candida. Naturopath put me on 2 months of Doxy. He told me doxy is the only medication that kills Lyme. I have seen the lyme video and how antibiotics needs to be agressive. Now he is taking me off of Doxy and wants me on Biocidin. I don't really want to be on herbal preparations. In the past my thyroid has gotten worse with herbal preparations. I would rather stay on antibiotics. I have seen several stacking of antibiotics. Where should I start?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals