Aware Me On Sodium Bicarbonate? (baking Soda)

RedStaR

Why is this supplemented so much in RP protocols? Is it the alkaline properties, or the increased blood levels of CO2?

And more importantly for me, how does this counteract androgenic hair-loss?

paymanz

Ray says it can increase co2.I don't know the mechanism.

He said it contracts androgenic hair loss?

Xisca

Why is this supplemented so much in RP protocols? Is it the alkaline properties, or the increased blood levels of CO2?
I have personal interest only about this part of the question... ;)
I was thinking too that it could be related to increased level of CO2, but doesn't the body himself ajust the bicarb content of the blood?

What I can say of a good efficient use (short term) of sodium bicarbonate is for persons suffering from multi chemical sensitivities when they are in a shock : they use a drink of lemon juice with a lot of Na bicarb in it.

Mossy

I would try retinol acetate for androgenic hair loss.
I don't mean to derail the thread, but had to ask, would you be referring to topical or oral? This is the first I've heard of this. I would imagine if I search out the topic on this forum, I'll find something. If you have anything else good to offer up on this, please do. Thanks.

Mossy

Ray says it can increase co2.I don't know the mechanism.

He said it contracts androgenic hair loss?

This is the first I've heard of sodium bicarbonate for hair loss. I would be curious to any references as well.

Can anyone share the dose they use, and not just for hair loss? I've tried this once and I didn't feel too hot afterwards. I took 8 grams prior to working out. It seemed to dehydrate me and stuff up my system -- but, I can't definitively say this, as I take other supplements. I wonder the success or failure others have had supplementing this.

paymanz

This is the first I've heard of sodium bicarbonate for hair loss. I would be curious to any references as well.

Can anyone share the dose they use, and not just for hair loss? I've tried this once and I didn't feel too hot afterwards. I took 8 grams prior to working out. It seemed to dehydrate me and stuff up my system -- but, I can't definitively say this, as I take other supplements. I wonder the success or failure others have had supplementing this.
There are studies where they used 20-30g of baking soda to improve athletic performance, and they are effective to some degree.

But for hair loss?! Idk.

Mossy

There are studies where they used 20-30g of baking soda to improve athletic performance, and they are effective to some degree.

But for hair loss?! Idk.
Yeah, I did see those studies, which is what motivated me to try it prior to working out. I thought I would start with 8 grams, versus the much larger 20-30 grams. Off-hand, I forget the potential side effects, but I know there are some -- but, that was my reasoning for starting small.

Amazoniac

Wtf? (kine, 2018)

- Bicarbonate - Wikipedia

"The term "bicarbonate" was coined in 1814 by the English chemist William Hyde Wollaston.[4] The prefix "bi" in "bicarbonate" comes from an outdated naming system and is based on the observation that there is twice as much carbonate (CO3(2−)) per sodium ion in sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) and other bicarbonates than in sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) and other carbonates.[5] The name lives on as a trivial name."

"According to the Wikipedia article IUPAC nomenclature of inorganic chemistry, the prefix bi– is a deprecated way of indicating the presence of a single hydrogen ion. The recommended nomenclature today mandates explicit referencing of the presence of the single hydrogen ion: sodium hydrogen carbonate or sodium hydrogencarbonate. A parallel example is sodium bisulfite (NaHSO3)."​

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5487

Sodium Bicarbonate is a quick fix to metabolic acidosis. It works by increase the PH of the blood and the cells sense this and create more CO2 to counter act that that increases PH.

This can lead to respiratory acidosis as you have too much CO2.

So to counter respiratory acidosis, it works best during excersise as you will exhale this CO2 while buffering lactic acid with the bicarbonate.

Sitting on your but and drinking baking soda is prob not ideal. Increase PH and PRAL would be better used with foods like fruits/vegtables.

OccamzRazer

Sodium Bicarbonate is a quick fix to metabolic acidosis. It works by increase the PH of the blood and the cells sense this and create more CO2 to counter act that that increases PH.

So to counter respiratory acidosis, it works best during excersise as you will exhale this CO2 while buffering lactic acid with the bicarbonate.

Sitting on your but and drinking baking soda is prob not ideal. Increase PH and PRAL would be better used with foods like fruits/vegtables.
Hey man, a little off topic...but are you still juicing and eating lots of pineapple?

Also, what type of exercise works best for you in regards to CO2 levels?

This was helpful info thank you.

D

Deleted member 5487

Hey man, a little off topic...but are you still juicing and eating lots of pineapple?

Also, what type of exercise works best for you in regards to CO2 levels?
Pineapples benefit was attributed to it's Bromelain content. Which was greatly helping me utilize/breakdown protein I was eating. I am finding ALL hypothyroid/ or vast majority of those over 25yo have serious protein defiency, regardless of their protein consumption. This is usually due to enzymes, simple ageing, and the body become much less efficient and not geared towards particularly long lives of modern humans.

Simply Purchasing Essential Amino Acids( i use double wood brand) Can help you test if your Protein deficient. I feel an immediate boost due to precursors of neurotransmitters.

I take bromelain Pills from NOW brand and have doublewoods digestive enxymes coming in today actually. I will continue to test this. As what you eat doesn't matter if your not breaking it down and utilizing it.

-----------
Exercise is individual. CO2 exhale, Lymphatic movement, and bloodflow are all very important and so exercise is very important. If you have trouble working out since you get tired and sore, you can try 1/2 or 1 tsp Of baking soda in water while you workout to buffer lactic acid and PH dysregulation.

I Briskly walk my dog 2-3x a day and lift heavy weights for lower reps in the 3-5 range 3-4x a week.

Exercise is best in 2 forms
1) Very low intensity-Walking/Hiking
2)High Intensity Sprinting, Or low rep heavy weight lifting. To spur a adaptive response.

Avoid steady state cardio like jogging/running/biking as this can quickly lead to chronic stress due to PUFA, and stress amino breakdown of muscle tissue.

OccamzRazer

Pineapples benefit was attributed to it's Bromelain content. Which was greatly helping me utilize/breakdown protein I was eating. I am finding ALL hypothyroid/ or vast majority of those over 25yo have serious protein defiency, regardless of their protein consumption. This is usually due to enzymes, simple ageing, and the body become much less efficient and not geared towards particularly long lives of modern humans.

Simply Purchasing Essential Amino Acids( i use double wood brand) Can help you test if your Protein deficient. I feel an immediate boost due to precursors of neurotransmitters.

I take bromelain Pills from NOW brand and have doublewoods digestive enxymes coming in today actually. I will continue to test this. As what you eat doesn't matter if your not breaking it down and utilizing it.

-----------
Exercise is individual. CO2 exhale, Lymphatic movement, and bloodflow are all very important and so exercise is very important. If you have trouble working out since you get tired and sore, you can try 1/2 or 1 tsp Of baking soda in water while you workout to buffer lactic acid and PH dysregulation.

I Briskly walk my dog 2-3x a day and lift heavy weights for lower reps in the 3-5 range 3-4x a week.

Exercise is best in 2 forms
1) Very low intensity-Walking/Hiking
2)High Intensity Sprinting, Or low rep heavy weight lifting. To spur a adaptive response.

Avoid steady state cardio like jogging/running/biking as this can quickly lead to chronic stress due to PUFA, and stress amino breakdown of muscle tissue.
Thanks for the info, very interesting! Will look into those enzymes at some point.

Regarding exercise, have you tried biking or jogging below a certain level of intensity - breathing thru your nose the whole time? Maybe not ideal from a strictly Peaty perspective, but for me it's very therapeutic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals