Awake until 3am

Cmarie

I am new to Peat, only a couple of weeks. Started with adding oj to breakfast to help with eggs, and I was hooked on this way of eating. I am adding in the dairy, the creamy coffee and making little changes at a time while my body adjusts.

I am hypo and being treated with WP thyroid since November, also on DIM for estrogen excess and an andrenal capsule through my doctor (timed at early morning and then at 3 p.m.). On my own, I do use supplements to support myself. My issue is with sleep and I am in a cycle now that I can seem to break through. I come home from work, eat a light meal and fall asleep around 7ish while watching tv and will wake up around 9 -- it is a very deep and restful sleep as I go right away into REM. At that time, I will get up and have my snack (learning Peat snacks like cottage cheese with fruit or ice cream with coffee and pinch of salt). I feel sleepy but don't fall asleep for the night until 3 or so. Then I am up without the alarm around 5:30 to get to work.

I lie awake watching tv until I pass out. Usually by that time, I can wake up shut off the tv and go back to sleep. I've had sleep issues for a long time, but this new late night stuff has begun with my new protocols and I need help.
I've been taking sunflower lecithin and mag glycinate since November and that helped me a lot but now it is not working, and I am at a loss. Some night I will get up and make a cup of instant creamy coffee and sometimes after that I will pass out.

Looking for some answers - I need to get exercise after working at a desk all day, but my afternoon energy is all about just getting home. Thank you!

Nicky

That two hour nap before bed has got to go, instead of turning on the television do something different, a walk maybe?

NK

Beastmode

The nap before bed is probably not helping. The easiest place to start, pun intended, is your start to the day. Get up at the same time consistently and as close to the sunrise as possible (not through a window, yet outside for 20 min or more.) It'll suck for a few days, or week, but your system will start to regulate itself. Make it your priority before anything else, minus the restroom if needed.

How you start will really help dictate how you finish the day. Most ignore this as it seems to simple to work, but it'll clear a lot of stuff up at night.

Peat has mentioned that if you eat eggs first thing, oj might not be enough to help with insulin. A glass of milk prior to this could be helpful. I start with cafe con leche ( a lot of milk and a shot of strong coffee with sugar) first thing before I eat any foods like eggs. It makes a difference.

OP
C

Cmarie

Thanks. I do wake up at the same time everyday on my own around 5:45 - 6. I usually start with either filtered water or lemon juice water. Then have a coffee with cream, collagen and bit of mexican sugar. I struggle mornings when it is a work day because I am on a schedule to get out the door. I make time for breakfast too. Tomorrow I will add the glass of milk and skip the water or lemon water. I have just enough time to get to work, but I will not compromise on breakfast. I bring my lunch in a bento box using peat recommended foods.

I really drag my butt home after work. I help with dinner and try to move around cleaning, and also do a little workout of yoga and bridges to support my back and hips after a day of desk work. Last night I did some total gym upper body. I am like a zombie in the evenings, no matter what I attempt to do. Sometimes when I feel the nap coming on, I will get on the treadmill for a light walk. It seems like whatever I attempt to do isn't bringing a different outcome. If I don't allow the natural nap to happen, then I am so energized. In the end the insomnia result is the same.

I was hoping this change in diet and lifestyle will offer me a good night's sleep.

I started to work with the cronometer ap to see how my days looks with food choices. Thank you all.

David90

- Buy Blue Blight Blocking Glasses (with Yellow Lenses).

-Nap Before Bed has to go (like the Others have said).

-Turn off the TV and/or Mobile Phones 1 to 2 Hours before Bed.

-Turn off your Wi-Fi Router 1 to 2 Hours before Bed (if you have one)

-Try KSM-66 Ashwagandha.

-Try taking a drink of Gelatin, with Honey, Milk and Salt before bed OR Cottage Cheese with Raw Egg(s), Honey and Salt.

-Try eating 1-2 Kiwifruits before Bed.

-Don't drink Coffee after 2 PM for a while.

-Watch your Coffee Intake in General. Maybe lower it a little.

I

i_nomad

The late night coffee needs to go. Limit after 2ish, as mentioned. Contrary to popular belief, the caffeine doesn’t boost energy, it actually masks the signals being sent by your circadian rhythm to tell your body it is tired and needs to sleep. This is likely a good start for you. Will take some adjusting, but considering caffeine can take many hours to even reduce by half...

OP
C

Cmarie

Thanks everyone. With the weekend here I can try the suggestions you all graciously offered. :)

Nicky

If you have not read Broda Barnes book on thyroid I highly recommend it.
Make sure thyroid meds are at the right dose for you.