Avoiding Brown Spots From Sunbathing

Bogdar

It's been a year that everytime I get exposed to the sun, I get some normal brown spots and lots of tiny brown spots, about half a millimeter in diameter mainly on arms.

It feels bad because it isn't aesthetic and seems irreversible. Yesterday I sunbathed a little bit and now I have lots of these little spots on my chest... I have a light color skin, and I don't eat that much pufas.

Anyway, is there any miracle products to prevent that happening? I'm upping my carotene consomption (tomatoes) to protect the skin. What else could I do, and is there any ways to make these spots disappear?

InChristAlone

Vitamin E helps.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

How much does it help tho? Will it prevent enough? Will it reverse?

YourUniverse

Look into lipofuscin, theres some information about it on the forum. It's caused by the oxidative damage from PUFA + iron. Ray said it can be slowly reversed once it stops forming, and I remember vitamin E and notably alcohol (like vodka) being helpful.

I was interested in lipofuscin because the spots are on ALL cells of your body, not just the ones you see on your skin. The pigment itself interferes with cell oxygenation or something to that effect. I imagine my brain using less oxygen and I start drinking :rotatinglight:

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Look into lipofuscin, theres some information about it on the forum. It's caused by the oxidative damage from PUFA + iron. Ray said it can be slowly reversed once it stops forming, and I remember vitamin E and notably alcohol (like vodka) being helpful.

I was interested in lipofuscin because the spots are on ALL cells of your body, not just the ones you see on your skin. The pigment itself interferes with cell oxygenation or something to that effect. I imagine my brain using less oxygen and I start drinking :rotatinglight:
I never know how to recognize classic melanine spots from lipofuscin tho. I know my ferritine was very low (I tested it at the time spots started to appear)

Haha I have vodka. Don't have vitamin E tho. Are you sure it's not more about topical application than binge drinking? :lol:

YourUniverse

I never know how to recognize classic melanine spots from lipofuscin tho. I know my ferritine was very low (I tested it at the time spots started to appear)

Haha I have vodka. Don't have vitamin E tho. Are you sure it's not more about topical application than binge drinking? :lol:
The spots on the skin can be dealt with topically

Aspirin with niacinamide makes an effective sunscreen btw

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Damn everytime I am exposed to the sun I get new brown spots. I don't know how it is called in English tho, it's just brown pigments in a circle, sometimes less than 1mm, totally flat.

I've always been predisposed to sunburn etc but now I get those spots.

What changed? What predispose you to get these spots?

redsun

Damn everytime I am exposed to the sun I get new brown spots. I don't know how it is called in English tho, it's just brown pigments in a circle, sometimes less than 1mm, totally flat.

I've always been predisposed to sunburn etc but now I get those spots.

What changed? What predispose you to get these spots?

It can be certain drugs or supplements destroying your skin's ability to protect itself or just worse antioxidant cycle because depletion or lacking of certain nutrients. In my opinion its due to poor glutathione status mainly. Glutathione recycle vitamin C and vitamin C is supposed to recycle vitamin E. I know I have gotten the same increase in brown spots as you describe when I took a certain drug.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

It can be certain drugs or supplements destroying your skin's ability to protect itself or just worse antioxidant cycle because depletion or lacking of certain nutrients. In my opinion its due to poor glutathione status mainly. Glutathione recycle vitamin C and vitamin C is supposed to recycle vitamin E. I know I have gotten the same increase in brown spots as you describe when I took a certain drug.
It came right after a carnivore diet, in wintertime, I also intoxicated myself or something. Few weeks after when spring and sun exposure came I started to notice lots of brown skin dots appearing, which never happened to me before. We are one year later and this condition is still there.

No drugs involved, I take some supp (collagene, aspirin 75mg) but they're not the same as I was taking way back so I'm pretty sure they're not involved.

Well maybe that diet and stress caused a deficiency... I feel like I'm going to buy vit E and C and I'm going to dysregulate something else.
That and sunscreen...

redsun

It came right after a carnivore diet, in wintertime, I also intoxicated myself or something. Few weeks after I started to notice lots of brown skin dots appearing, which never happened to me before. We are one year later and this condition is still there.

No drugs involved, I take some supp (collagene, aspirin 75mg) but they're not the same as I was taking way back so I'm pretty sure they're not involved.

Well maybe that diet and stress caused a deficiency... I feel like I'm going to buy vit E and C and I'm going to dysregulate something else.
That and sunscreen...

Carnivore diet as in tons of copper and iron? If copper intake is especially high it can be oxidative. Also copper is needed to make melanin so it can make it more likely that way to appear. Depends on how you do carnivore. Also I assume zinc intake on carnivore was high? It tends to lack vitamin C and E though.

Usually since carnivore diet is very high in glutathione cofactors because its high protein (glycine, glutamate, and cysteine) it should provide more antioxidant protection. And should provide more vitamins necessary for glutathione reactions which I believe is B2, B3 primarily as well as other things.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Carnivore diet as in tons of copper and iron? If copper intake is especially high it can be oxidative. Also copper is needed to make melanin so it can make it more likely that way to appear.
Lasted 4 months and been at least a year since I stopped it.

Usually since carnivore diet is very high in glutathione cofactors becausr its high protein (glycine, glutamate, and cysteine) it should provide more antioxidant protection. And should provide more vitamins necessary for glutathione reactions which I believe is B2, B3 primarily as well as other things.
Yes, ton of copper and iron, for about 4 months though. Only ferritin was checked and stayed in the low range.

Yes I thought that too, I was actually doing pretty well until the intoxication and things like digestion, sleep went downhill, and then I saw my skin getting "older" as I was deteriorating, and then I noticed these brown spots.
It's still a little mystery for me what happened that made me go downhill so fast so rough.

redsun

Yes, ton of copper and iron, for about 4 months though. Only ferritin was checked and stayed in the low range.

Yes I thought that too, I was actually doing pretty well until the intoxication and things like digestion, sleep went downhill, and then I saw my skin getting "older" as I was deteriorating, and then I noticed these brown spots.
It's still a little mystery for me what happened that made me go downhill so fast so rough.

Well its likely excessive copper and iron intake at least played a part of it. Iron, copper, zinc are necessary for antioxidant protection which are abundant on a carnivore diet but so is C, E, and manganese which can lack on a carnivore diet.

And of course iron and copper are needed for antioxidant protection but excessive iron and copper do the opposite.

mrchibbs

It's no wonder, I experienced this myself in the summer of 2018. I had gotten pretty ill by that point, and thought the sun would do me good, and it did, but within just a few days, it aged my skin, gave me wrinkles (new experience for me since I had baby skin and was in my mid20s), and several spots on the skin, and especially my thighs, whereas I didn't have any spots there before, within a little while I had several, and it's continued to accumulate since over the year since then.

Frankly I was paying much attention to lipid peroxidation, vitamin E and all of that. I've changed this, so hopefully I'll be better protected. I remember as a teenager I would get spots as well, but they would disappear over the winter. (they're probably still visible with a UV light though). I think with better health, all these spots can fade. A few people on this forum commented that they were able to get rid of them with vitamin A topically, but best to try it out for yourself.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Well its likely excessive copper and iron intake at least played a part of it. Iron, copper, zinc are necessary for antioxidant protection which are abundant on a carnivore diet but so is C, E, and manganese which can lack on a carnivore diet.

And of course iron and copper are needed for antioxidant protection but excessive iron and copper do the opposite.
Can these excess/lack be seen on bloodtests?

redsun

Can these excess/lack be seen on bloodtests?
I honestly have no earthly idea about testing for excess iron and copper as the liver can just to store them and wouldnt necessarily be seen on blood tests but I am sure there are tests to check for deficiencies of C, E, manganese I just don't know any specifics about it.

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

It's no wonder, I experienced this myself in the summer of 2018. I had gotten pretty ill by that point, and thought the sun would do me good, and it did, but within just a few days, it aged my skin, gave me wrinkles (new experience for me since I had baby skin and was in my mid20s), and several spots on the skin, and especially my thighs, whereas I didn't have any spots there before, within a little while I had several, and it's continued to accumulate since over the year since then.

Frankly I was paying much attention to lipid peroxidation, vitamin E and all of that. I've changed this, so hopefully I'll be better protected. I remember as a teenager I would get spots as well, but they would disappear over the winter. (they're probably still visible with a UV light though). I think with better health, all these spots can fade. A few people on this forum commented that they were able to get rid of them with vitamin A topically, but best to try it out for yourself.
Exact same! But I'm a bit stubborn and it took me time to see the sun was the culprit, and I'm also in my 20's. Some spawned on my face and it's disturbing. I fear for the incoming summer because in early spring it's already doing damages.
I was paying attention to lipid peroxydation, and even on carnivore diet I had limited amount of pufas, only lipid sources being beef fat, grass fed milk and grass fed butter. I had at most 5g of pufa a day, and like 100g of saturated (can't remember exactly) so the ratio felt pretty solid.

You don't know yet if your sun resistance improved though? Do you take E supplement?

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

I honestly have no earthly idea about testing for excess iron and copper as the liver can just to store them and wouldnt necessarily be seen on blood tests but I am sure there are tests to check for deficiencies of C, E, manganese I just don't know any specifics about it.
Okay, thanks a lot for your insights!

OP
Bogdar

Bogdar

Well I ordered tocovit and vitamin C and will have fun to play...

Beastmode

It's been a year that everytime I get exposed to the sun, I get some normal brown spots and lots of tiny brown spots, about half a millimeter in diameter mainly on arms.

It feels bad because it isn't aesthetic and seems irreversible. Yesterday I sunbathed a little bit and now I have lots of these little spots on my chest... I have a light color skin, and I don't eat that much pufas.

Anyway, is there any miracle products to prevent that happening? I'm upping my carotene consomption (tomatoes) to protect the skin. What else could I do, and is there any ways to make these spots disappear?

Vitamin E has helped me in the past.

Carotene in excess can block thyroid production. I've heard Peat mention that even a little extra carotene in the diet can be enough to block it.

You might be strategizing in the wrong direction as blocking thyroid production may perpetuate the issue.

Hey Bogdar.

Did you fixed the problem?
Here is my post from just the other day: More lipofuscin after being LOW PUFA for 2 years

Last edited: