Avodart For Hair Loss?

redlight

My doctor prescribed me avodart (
Dutasteride)
for hair loss... He told me its much better than propecia and has far less side effects....

What are your thoughts on this drug for hair loss?
Dutasteride vs. Finasteride
thanks

Dante

Dutasteride)
for hair loss... He told me its much better than propecia and has far less side effects....

thanks
I thought DUT blocks all 5-ar types enzymes , I,II and III. It will be more potent than finasteride which blocks only 5AR II and has a shorter half-life. I don't know how your doc can say that it has less side effects. Add to that your are already on TRT, so where will the extra testosterone go now if all known pathways to DHT are blocked. ( My guess is estrogen and some other metabolites which are considered impotent like epitestosterone). Personally, if you have to bite the bullet , why not FIN ?. Ask you doc this question - how can dut have less side effects when it blocks all three 5-AR enzymes.( Dut will block the hair loss that's for sure from what i have read it's more potent than fin on hair loss forums)

Your doc is an idiot. Stay away from these quack pill pusher. He has clearly told you what he is with this assertion. Find someone else.

Dhair

Ecstatichamster is correct. Dutasteride is not FDA approved for hair loss at this point precisely because it has potentially MORE known side effects than fin.
Your doctor could not be more wrong.

OP
R

redlight

I don't think he will give me propecia because it said a few of his patients got really bad side effects from it.

What other options do I have ?

Last edited by a moderator:

tankasnowgod

Here's a couple quotes from Drugs.com about Avodart-

"Avodart should never be taken by a woman or a child. Dutasteride can be absorbed through the skin, and women or children should not be permitted to handle the capsules. Although Avodart is not for use by women, this medication can cause birth defects if a woman is exposed to it during pregnancy. Avodart capsules should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant."

"Using Avodart may increase your risk of developing prostate cancer. Your doctor will perform tests to make sure you do not have other conditions that would prevent you from safely using Avodart."

Hmmmmm. Maybe, just maybe, these androgen things are actually beneficial for the prostate?

allblues

The dutasteride molecule is pretty disgusting. Look at all those fluorines.
duta.gif

AdrianPo

But isn't peppermint "anti-adrogenic"?

"After treatment with the spearmint tea, the patients had significant decreases in free testosterone with increases in luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, and estradiol (9)."

An Update on Plant Derived Anti-Androgens

AdrianPo

I know it refers to spearmint, but peppermint is a hybrid mint, a cross between water mint and spearmint, but here's something about peppermint:

"It was investigated that peppermint has antioxidant, antitumor, antiallergenic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal activity. It has also anti-androgenic properties that reduce the level of free testosterone in the blood (Guimaraes et al., 2011; Grant and Ramasamy, 2012).M. spicata contains about0.21–2.1% volatile oil, 29–74% carvone, 4–24% limoneneand 3–18% cireole. Carvone is the most important constituents of M. spicata (Akdogan et al., 2004). Furthermore, effect of M. piperita and M. spicata herbal teas on testicular function were investigated in an experimental rat model and found that testosterone levels were decreased. Some studies have been shown that peppermint tea has anti-androgenic properties in both animals and women (Guney et al., 2006; Akdogan et al., 2007)."

Potential effects of Mentha piperita (peppermint) on Letrozole- induced polycystic ovarian syndrome in female albino rat

That being said, I would probably give it a shot if the Danny Roddy/Ray Peat approach doesn't show much progress after a few months.

AdrianPo

Ras

Magic Bullet thinking will retard our progress with this issue.

Kyle Bigman

Dutasteride)

thanks

Overall, 41% incidences of PFS symptoms were reported with finasteride alone and none with dutasteride alone. Use of a FAERS database demonstrated that there were no persistent sexual side effects reported over a 3.5 year period associated with the use of dutasteride alone. Although the FAERS has limitations such as self-reported data, our findings suggest that dutasteride is not associated with PFS.

This is strange. I wonder why there is no such thing as "post-dutasteride syndrome", or at least why it's not as common.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals