Avocados

Rosiemax14

May I ask why Avocados are so bad in our diet
Is it because it is monounsaturated and a little polyunsaturated ?
I m confused because I thought it also contains Vitamin E
Thanks

Beastmode

"Animal proteins, and fruits, because they contain the lowest levels of toxins, should form the basis of the diet. Not all fruits, of course, are perfectly safe--avocados, for example, contain so much unsaturated fat that they can be carcinogenic and hepatotoxic."

- Ray Peat

Mastemah

The key to foods like avocado is balance. If you track your nutrition you can avoid other pufa foods like eggs on the same day you have avocado. The ratio of monounsaturated fats to saturated is important. A 2:1 sat to unsat ratio is protective. So you can eat avocado on days you have enough saturated fats and you know your pufa amounts. This is a problem for two types of situations: people that wont track data, people losing weight that cant consistently afford the saturated fat cals. For the first, tracking is freedom to do as you wish. For the second, make them a treat not a staple.

J

jb116

May I ask why Avocados are so bad in our diet
Is it because it is monounsaturated and a little polyunsaturated ?
I m confused because I thought it also contains Vitamin E
Thanks
I don't see avocados as the worst thing you could eat. They are pretty packed with nutrients, including vitamin E. They aren't quite the same as having restaurant food or fried fast food. Just don't eat them rancid and don't eat a lot. Occasional bits of guacamole with nixtamalized coconut oil tortillas is delicious. If you are new to these principles, forget about them for now and revisit when you sort certain things out and/or allow your body to rid of some pufa (couple of years) and rev up your metabolism.

lampofred

Avocados have mostly MUFA, not PUFA, so I don't think they would be harmful once in a while. I actually think they have anti-serotonin effects. I never understood Peat's quote against them.

postman

A single 200g avocado has about 3.7 grams of PUFA. It's optimal to stay under 4 grams of pufa per day, that avocado would make that very hard. But using a little bit as a condiment, maybe putting some guacamole on top of your meal shouldn't be very harmful.

schultz

I don't see avocados as the worst thing you could eat. They are pretty packed with nutrients, including vitamin E. They aren't quite the same as having restaurant food or fried fast food. Just don't eat them rancid and don't eat a lot. Occasional bits of guacamole with nixtamalized coconut oil tortillas is delicious. If you are new to these principles, forget about them for now and revisit when you sort certain things out and/or allow your body to rid of some pufa (couple of years) and rev up your metabolism.

A single 200g avocado has about 3.7 grams of PUFA. It's optimal to stay under 4 grams of pufa per day, that avocado would make that very hard. But using a little bit as a condiment, maybe putting some guacamole on top of your meal shouldn't be very harmful.

I agree with both of these sensible comments.

If you have no issues digesting them then I see no problem eating a bit of avocado once in a while. I don't think it would be optimal to consume 1 per day though, but it also wouldn't be the worst thing either (compared to the stuff normal people eat). Although I am probably not as strict as other people on this forum (with diet in general), my PUFA is usually between 1-3g per day, and usually landing around 2g (probably averaging 60g of fat per day). I like to "save" my PUFA for eggs. If I eat 2 eggs in a day my PUFA will still be under 4g, but will be between 3 and 4g. I'd rather eat the eggs than a half of an avocado personally, but guacamole would nice as a condiment with some tostados or something.

I like to enjoy my food. It's important to me. If avocado brings you joy then I think that's an important point to consider.

Runenight201

It’s not a terrible food. Would rather eat the avocado then dried oats, but given the choice of more nutritious foods, the latter wins out. I don’t make it part of my daily diet but if I’m in a situation where it’s on the table and there are no better options I’ll eat it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals