Avocado Oil fake?

Doc Sandoz

Good olive oil becomes quite solid and opaque white when chilled. I put some "avocado oil" in the fridge to test it. This particular brand, at least, after 24 hours is only slightly thicker than at room temp and still completely clear, you could easily pour it. I suspect it is adulterated with seed oil and thus has a higher PUFA profile than it should (around 10%, about the same as olive oil). Any reason other than added PUFA that "avocado" oil won't solidify when chilled?

jet9

Good olive oil becomes quite solid and opaque white when chilled. I put some "avocado oil" in the fridge to test it. This particular brand, at least, after 24 hours is only slightly thicker than at room temp and still completely clear, you could easily pour it. I suspect it is adulterated with seed oil and thus has a higher PUFA profile than it should (around 10%, about the same as olive oil). Any reason other than added PUFA that "avocado" oil won't solidify when chilled?
I don't think there are any users of avocado oil on this forum :)))

akgrrrl

I don't think there are any users of avocado oil on this forum :)))
Correct. And some discerning olive oil users. Since the craze hit America, few realize that high heat and pressure to extract oil from the seed is the norm. Pale yellow, one capful of good green oil per bottle to make it smell good is also the norm for supermarket shelves. When olives are allowed to drip from pressure of their own weight (with a little help) the oil is green, fragrant, and expensive.