Autophagy Ray Peat?

Discussion in 'Articles & Newsletters Discussion' started by Soren, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Soren

Soren Member

Does anyone know of any articles or newsletters where Peat talks about autophagy at any length? I'm seeing a lot of talk about the benefits of autophagy on lots of "health" sites but I am unsure as to its benefits.

It is often discussed in the context of fasting, i.e. elevated HGH, cortisol, prolactin and other stress hormones, so my instinct is that it is not good. However, the idea of the body mopping up and recycling dead cells doesn't sound like the worst thing to me.

My thoughts are that it is probably better to have a situation where there is minimal cell breakdown and stress so there is no need for lots of autophagy, but I do not know enough about it so would love to hear Ray's thoughts on it as well as others.

2. tyler

tyler Member

Ari Whitten, a nutritionist/health guru who seems to follow some of the guides of Ray Peat ( he quotes him frequently) just released a video series in an attempt to sell his program. But the series had some interesting information. (its free) He discussed enhancing autography as a way to increase energy/metabolism.
    One of the ways to do that was fasting 12-16 hours per day. Also drinking a lot of water during the fast. Reason being, the water suppusodaly dilutes the blood and hence the lucine in it, and this increases/starts autography.
    I didn't check any of his studies. But here is a link to his video discussing it, and also a PDF with a breakdown of the video.

The Energy Blueprint — The Energy Blueprint

Other interesting ideas he presented were cycling caffeine- but I won't go off topic. That can be seen in the first video.

3. OP
    Soren

Soren Member

Haha. Funny you say that. I just purchased the Energy Blueprint program. Which is why I am asking the question. I was very reluctant at first given how he talks about fasting which I have had a terrible experience with and there is lots of evidence that it is a chronic stressor that leads to metabolic issues. However, like you said he does follow some of the guides of Ray Peat, he is very pro carb over fat, talks a lot about cycadian rhythms, red light minimizing stress etc. Given he has a one year money back guarantee I decided to take the plunge. I've read a few of his previous books and they were pretty good. So far the first module is on the cycadian rhythms and how important light is for health and how having excess blue light at night and not enough light during the day is bad. So pretty reassuring so far.

4. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

So did it help you?

5. OP
    Soren

Soren Member

Yes but there are lots of things i disagree with in the program and you should do all your own research if you decide to purchase it.

True method of knowledge is experiment.

6. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

Thanks, good advice.
    What did it help you with?

7. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

Thanks, good advice.
    What did it help you with?