Autoimmune Disease, Hypothyroidism, And Food Allergies: Different Approaches?

Ashoka

A few months ago I was having plenty of crazy symptoms I wrote on here about that seemed to come out of nowhere. They included headaches (sometimes burning), terrible anxiety and feeling 'unsafe', bodily pain, sudden extreme fatigue, and a feeling that my digestion just totally halted.

I've been seeing a functional medicine doctor for about a month, so I have some labs that confirm hypothyroidism and low cholesterol, among other things. He also suspects possible autoimmune condition and/or infections.

I'm having trouble understanding how to approach the ideas of autoimmune disease and food allergies from a Peat perspective. The common approach is an elimination diet exemplified by Whole30, AIP, and the GAPS diet. In the past, it was easy to adopt a syncretic approach and take the points I liked from Peat and other writers. But in the case of these autoimmune conditions, it seems you have to follows these elimination diets to the letter. Of course, I have come to be highly skeptical of flat out taking these approaches.

I want to read more of Peat's writings generally, but my ability to do such is often at the mercy of the randomness of my symptoms. Often you guys have better ideas, and there also doesn't seem to be a thread about this. Now there is here.

How does Peat's perspective on this topic compare? Do you have any thoughts?

MommaBear

Blood test showed most foods were a problem for me. NAET showed even more. So I ate very little. None of the elimination diets worked because of all my 'allergies'. As well as made my low thyroid worse. It is a terrible cycle.

Since reading Peat and Youreatopia, I have found that from years of not eating enough food caused me stress and then food became an 'allergy'.

I have been starting to not restrict and my symptoms I was trying to treat by supposed food allergies are going away. I'm still in the re-feeding weight gain stage but my life is healing. Even my joint pain is decreasing. .. which I finally figured my fractured bones during boot camp was from the prior year of stress and not eating which caused my body to break down, therefore causing me 20 years of spiraling 'autoimmune' problems. Which led to more restrictive eating stress and more problems.

Amyway... that's my story and interpretation of how it happened for me.

Ashoka

Amyway... that's my story and interpretation of how it happened for me.

That's definitely the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm glad you're seeing improvements!

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Kanna For Worrying, Pessimistic Attitude And Autoimmune Disease? Mental Issues 0
Mito A Daily Dose Of Baking Soda Can Treat Autoimmune Disease, Study Finds Articles & Scientific Studies 1
J Reversing Autoimmune Disease With Vegan Diet Diet 29
Amazigh Gut Bacteria & Autoimmune Disease Articles & Scientific Studies 1
bodacious Reversing Bacteria-induced Vitamin D Receptor Dysfunction Is Key To Autoimmune Disease Scientific Studies 9
J Vitamin D May Exacerbate Autoimmune Disease Articles & Scientific Studies 3
F can you develop Hashimoto/or other autoimmune from having secondary hypothyroidism? Ask For Help or Advice 0
F Can thyroid glandulars cause autoimmune response? Ask For Help or Advice 2
R A Comprehensive Guide To Mastering Autism, Autoimmune And Other Neurological Disorders Health 4
haidut Stress (cortisol) Can Cause ANY Autoimmune Condition By Disrupting Gut Barrier Scientific Studies 0
H Autoimmune Encephalitis Mental Issues 1
E PDE4 Inhibitor Makes My Autoimmune Issues Bearable Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
Porridge Anti-Peat Depletion Of Microbiome May Be Associated With Increased Allergies, Autoimmune, GI Diseases, Obesity Debate - Anti-Peat 1
B Can Autoimmune Hypothyroid Be Fixed Via Diet And Supplementation? Ask For Help or Advice 29
Peatogenic Antibiotics Increase Autoimmune Symptoms? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
Peatogenic Natural Antibiotic/Antiviral Regimen (autoimmune Condition Prevention) Ask For Help or Advice 9
Mito New Findings Link Estrogen And T Cell Immune Response To Autoimmune Inflammation Scientific Studies 3
L Dealing With Autoimmune Plus Other Issues Through Diet? Diet 10
haidut Gut Bacteria May Cause ALL Autoimmune Conditions; Antibiotics Can Cure Scientific Studies 249
W Mechanisms Behind Ketogenic Diet's Anti-autoimmune Properties? Diet 15
kayumochi Stressful Environment Triggers Inflammatory Cells Linked To Autoimmune Diseases Like MS, Study Shows Articles & Scientific Studies 1
A Oxalate And Autoimmune - Is It Legit? Diet 5
nikkmm Eye Problems After Starting NDT. Is This An Autoimmune Response? Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 1
W Parasites To Cause Or Treat Autoimmune? Ask For Help or Advice 1
veritas Pregnenolone For Autoimmune Thyroid, High Adrenaline? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 16
barbparadise Autoimmune Hepatitis Health 0
K Knockin' On Doors Till They Open.. Story of the Autoimmune Meet & Greet 6
haidut PUFA deficiency prevents diabetes, other autoimmune conditions Scientific Studies 0
loess Politics & Science: Autoimmune Diseases And Movement Disorders (2012) Audio Interview Transcripts 3
burtlancast Project 2 ( FULL): AUTOIMMUNE AND MOVEMENT DISORDERS Finished Projects 41
dd99 Hello Peating, goodbye autoimmune issues and belly fat Meet & Greet 26
J Vitamin D and Autoimmune thyroid diseases (AITD) Articles & Scientific Studies 4
Isadora Smoking and Autoimmune Diseases Articles & Scientific Studies 0
J Hashimoto's (Autoimmune Diseases) And Peat Protocol Miscellaneous Health Discussions 96
Isadora Autoimmune in Strasbourg Meet & Greet 10
charlie Ray Peat Interview Politics & Science: Autoimmune And Movement Disorders 2012 Politics and Science Radio Show 4
bzmazu Is COVID19 a New Type of Bio-Energetic Disease State? We May Find Out the Hard Way March 2021. Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 6
Mito The efficacy of vitamin E in reducing non-alcoholic fatty liver disease E 0
md_a ACE/ACE2 Ratio: A Key Also in 2019 Coronavirus Disease (Covid-19)? Scientific Studies 1
Q What causes atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease? Diet 4
haidut Glaucoma likely a metabolic disease, treatable by pyruvate and/or niacinamide Scientific Studies 0
H Link Between Alzheimer's Disease And Gut Microbiota Is Confirmed Alzheimer's 1
P Aducanumab For Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) Seems To Get FDA Approval Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
haidut Red Light Therapy For Parkinson Disease (PD) Begins Human Trials Scientific Studies 0
bzmazu Is Infectious Disease Just A Shell Game? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 1
A. squamosa Graves Disease And Hyperthyroidism Thyroid and Hormones 7
Korven German Doctor Treats MS With Low PUFA Diet (Stops Disease In 84% Of Patients) Cancer, Degenerative Diseases 25
MaxVerstappen Bacteria And Viruses Don't Cause Disease Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 3
TheSir Saturated Fat Causes Heart Disease. If You Are Hypothyroid Fats 24
J Toilet Bowl Urine - Hydration Theory - Absolute BS! Vitamin D Deficiency - Kidney Disease? Health 8