Autism linked to gut dysfunction

haidut

Forum Supporter
If true, this will be very ironic as the medical establishment condemned HIV discoverer Luc Montagnier for his statements that autism is tied to gut dysfunction and can sometimes be successfully treated with antibiotics. In addition, the study provides some confirmation of Ray's writings that low dopamine, high serotonin and high glutamate are both causes and symptoms of autism, creating a vicious circle resulting in a chronically overexcited brain. Low dopamine and high glutamate are hallmark symptoms of "ADHD/ADD" and gut dysfunction is also implicated.
Btw, a human trial with cyproheptadine found improvement in 40% of children compared to placebo.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 06Y.reddit

"...Children with ASD had significantly lower levels of the metabolites homovanillate and N,N-dimethylglycine. Homovanillate is the breakdown product of dopamine (a major neurotransmitter), indicating an imbalance in dopamine catabolism (the breaking down in living organisms of more complex substances into simpler ones with the release of energy). N,N-dimethylglycine is a building block for proteins and neurotransmitters, and has been used to reduce symptoms of ASD and epileptic seizures.
The glutamine/glutamate ratio was significantly higher in children with ASD. Glutamine and glutamate are further metabolized to gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), an inhibitory neurotransmitter. An imbalance between glutamate and GABA transmission has been associated with ASD-like behaviors such as hyper-excitation."

If someone can find the actual study and post it, I would be very interested to read it and see what specific bacteria dominates the guts of autistic children. I have a suspicion it will be the lactobacillus strains...

Kasper

Have you ever studied the gaps diet? Many people with autism have success with this diet, and they don't need any medication to get those results. It is mainly based on bone broths, kefir, sauerkraut and probiotics.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
When I was initially researching cyproheptadine there was a site I ran across where a rogue doctor was having success treating his 'patients' with autism with this medication among other things. I wish I had saved the link. Perhaps in my spare time I could find it again. :D

Suikerbuik

JUST REALLY WISH SCIENTISTS LEARN TO USE GOOGLE... THIS HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN

Will see if I can get the study for you Haidut.

I have a suspicion it will be the lactobacillus strains...
Yeah that is possible for sure but I am not sure if this will be a useful target (part of an immense complex metagenome, in where single species do not say that much). It is again the result of disfunction in a greater picture, like serotonin, glutamate and dopamine are although these are causes of many symptoms too and metabolties we can modulate.

Really can't wait till we discover the whole picture, although I wouldn't doubt if that's going to take years or decades or centuries, if ever at all. The human body is too complex to fit in lab studies and you only measure what you look for, though it's fun ;).

You knew that some tumors outside the laboratory don't grow? Or that when tumors grow outisde a human body they often lose their mutations (including presumed partly deleted genome mutations) !??

Like the studies you're posting however, gut health can't be emphasised enough! (Peat isn't advising people to not consume fermentable fibers, starches, charcoal etc. for nothing :))

EDIT: there's no study Haidut. Think it's not published in a paper..

4peatssake

I don't think it's published yet either. The research was just presented at an ASM (American Society for Microbiology) conference in Boston on Monday. Impressed with how on top of things you are haidut! :hattip

Here's a link to a video about the presentation.

[BBvideo 560,340:ea45xado]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ2lU6MvVYU&list=PLD2Sv5NskYtyM7qVvXGv1JeyYp7frE3nw[/BBvideo]