Autism, Charcoal, Endotoxin, My Experience

Travis

The best website for autism information IMO is ageofautism.com. The comments are moderated and thus have a very high signal-to-noise ratio. The editors and commentators are basically autism experts with experience [most have autistic children].

L

lollipop

Thanks! And NO, don't worry about it, for christ sake! We are worried about too many things already. If it works, keep doing it. Enjoy it.

There's a guy who posted the other day about squatting when pooping. I've been trying it and I think it's much better for gut health and bowel movements. It could very well be placebo in my case but since lots of people swear by it, there must be something good about it. Maybe you can give it a try yourself or for your daughter?
@Makrosky squatting is not placebo. It helps and works. I learned that in India. Not only because of positioning and shape change which is beneficial, but in yogic terms, it descends the Apanu Vayu - the wind in the body that helps with intestinal elimination.

To mimic that position without needing to squat, I use a yoga block for my feet when I sit on the toilet. I think you can also find like devices on Amazon for this purpose.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thanks! And NO, don't worry about it, for christ sake! We are worried about too many things already. If it works, keep doing it. Enjoy it.

There's a guy who posted the other day about squatting when pooping. I've been trying it and I think it's much better for gut health and bowel movements. It could very well be placebo in my case but since lots of people swear by it, there must be something good about it. Maybe you can give it a try yourself or for your daughter?

Thank you, Makrosky :) That was my thinking too, there's enough to worry about as is. :) I have heard about squatting on toilet, but I haven't tried it yet, it does make sense. For us homeopathy has been very helpful too. My sis in law is a homeopath. Nux Vomica for constipation/ trapped wind caused by stress and silica for shy stool. (= keeps popping out and back in again) Both in potency 30C. Works wonders for my daughter.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

The best website for autism information IMO is ageofautism.com. The comments are moderated and thus have a very high signal-to-noise ratio. The editors and commentators are basically autism experts with experience [most have autistic children].

Thanks for the link. Fortunately my daughter is not vaccinated. Who knows how much worse she'd have been if she was.

Mittir

You probably already know about antibiotic treating Autism.
There was a news article one or two year ago about a guy
who noticed his child with autism improved dramatically
after taking antibiotic for other health issue. I think he
started a started a research project to work on this theory.

Philomath

I thought I would post an update and some thoughts on charcoal in autism. Maybe it will help someone. My daughter has been on 1mg cypro at bedtime for 3 months now. The biggest difference is in her physical behaviour. Completely eliminated her repetitive hand movements, reduced walking on tiptoes and improved eye contact. We are still dealing with unreasonable inflexible irritable behaviour and moods. I have also been giving her eggshell calcium as she doesn't like milk and has lots of cavities. I was thinking recently how to address the endotoxin because I'm becoming more and more convinced that unless her bowel health is addressed, the cypro can only do so much and will only ever be a plaster. She doesn't like carrots and will not eat them unfortunately. She likes mushrooms but eating them everyday is not an option, she'd soon get sick of them. I have decided to experiment with charcoal after my surprisingly positive experience. I never quite felt any difference from carrot, on its own or even made into a salad. Recently, 2 months or so ago I have been sleeping really soundly and would wake up refreshed every morning, which suggests to me an improved metabolism. I felt at ease during the day, was calm, handling stress well, but a huge difference was made by the fact that my anxiety went away and its accompanying worrying thoughts. Then we went away, ate not so well, pufa, more starch than I'd like, minimum diary, no carrots, coupled with some stress and then started constipation , bloating, diarrhoea and just general uncomfortable feeling in my bowels coupled with teeth grinding. Then as soon as that started to happen I noticed my anxiety and panicky feelings come back, episodes of heart racing and hyperventilation and me being just like my autistic daughter irritable, aggressive, moody, unreasonable, a complete personality change for the worse. I realised how I felt before and now and I was able to identify the gut/brain connection for myself and it helped me to understand what is going on in my daughters bowels all the time rather then on and off as is with me. I have been searching through the posts here and found Haidut's comments regarding him using now (or then) activated charcoal in sufficient amount once per week to help with endotoxin. Here is the link to the post Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria
So I took 15 pills of 320mg charcoal in each and after the first dose I felt a profound relief and very clear headed. All digestive uncomfort went away. I took the same amount after lunch, even though I still felt good, but wanted to take some more to follow what was suggested.
This ,made me think, was the reason I thought charcoal didn't work initially. Simply people don't take enough. I used the whole box in two doses.
I am so impressed I will now include it in my daughters diet. Once per week, 3x a day 5 pills, total of 15 and see what that does. Anyone else experienced a relief with charcoal for mental symptoms?
What about trying vitamin B2?
Vitamin B2 Remarkably Effective Against Endotoxin, Sepsis, And Other Bacterial Infections

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

You probably already know about antibiotic treating Autism.
There was a news article one or two year ago about a guy
who noticed his child with autism improved dramatically
after taking antibiotic for other health issue. I think he
started a started a research project to work on this theory.

Mittir, thanks for that. Yes, I am aware of it, but I just don't have the confidence to give her antibiotics. Too many things could go wrong. If I could be part of a trial, I would love to do that. You hear about kids actually becoming autistic from taking too many courses of antibiotics, so I think there is a very fine balance and most importantly how do you assure that the good bacteria sets in after everything has been killed off? These are all the unanswered questions. I wish there was a step by step guide or a trial that we could follow.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention, Philomath. How do you assure that you don't deplete yourself of other b vitamins and what about the dosing?

Thank you for that! :)

Makrosky

@Makrosky squatting is not placebo. It helps and works. I learned that in India. Not only because of positioning and shape change which is beneficial, but in yogic terms, it descends the Apanu Vayu - the wind in the body that helps with intestinal elimination.

To mimic that position without needing to squat, I use a yoga block for my feet when I sit on the toilet. I think you can also find like devices on Amazon for this purpose.
Veeery interesting, thanks!!!

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

So it has been a few days since I gave my daughter charcoal and I also stopped the cypro at the same time so see what happens. Unfortunately her repetitive hand movements and walking on tiptoes have returned. :( Her moods seem to have been better since charcoal but who knows. I restarted cypro tonight and I am planning to do more charcoal at the weekend.
@haidut can you please help us parents of autistic kids and share some of your wisdom here please? It would be much much appreciated!!
A few questions:
- Why does it seem that cypro mostly affects physical behaviour in my daughter, the repetitive hand movement, walking on tiptoes, some improvement in the eye contact but seems to have minimal effect on her moods and anxiety, rigidity.
- Is cypro only really a plaster since when I stop her autistic physical behaviour returns. Is my understanding correct that since serotonin is being made in the colon, cypro only speeds up its degradation in the brain but as long as the bacteria in colon is not addressed, serotonin is happily made in the colon in the same amounts forever? It can never be a permanent solution, can it? Initially I thought that if you take it long enough, you break the cycle and viola, autism is cured.
- she's been on cypro for 3 months at 1 mg per day, she's 6 years old. How long can we sustain it for?
- Is dose of 1 mg enough?
- if you had an autistic child, what would you do? Any suggestions?
- how to tackle the endotoxin. Options: weekly charcoal? vitamin B2?, enzymes? anything else?
Thanks!!

Mittir

RP has mentioned synthetic B2 being very allergenic.
One of the study that shows anti endotoxin effect used
highly purified b2 injection. I do not know what do
they mean by "highly purified".

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

RP has mentioned synthetic B2 being very allergenic.
One of the study that shows anti endotoxin effect used
highly purified b2 injection. I do not know what do
they mean by "highly purified".
Thank you, Mittir. That doesn't sound too good then.

Mittir

RP has mentioned that safest way to lower serotonin
is to improve thyroid function. He thinks all the anti serotonin
drugs causes problem in the long run and cypro being the
safest. I do not think 1 mg cypro has any significant risk.
Everything goes back to thyroid function. I think Gut friendly
foods with little bit of thyroid from chicken neck soup
or fish head soup is worth experimenting.

Edit: Red light therapy can be very beneficial for
all kind of health issues and metabolism.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

RP has mentioned that safest way to lower serotonin
is to improve thyroid function. He thinks all the anti serotonin
drugs causes problem in the long run and cypro being the
safest. I do not think 1 mg cypro has any significant risk.
Everything goes back to thyroid function. I think Gut friendly
foods with little bit of thyroid from chicken neck soup
or fish head soup is worth experimenting.

Edit: Red light therapy can be very beneficial for
all kind of health issues and metabolism.
Thanks again, Mittir. Greatly appreciated! I am struggling with getting her to eat calcium, so I supplement with egg shells. She doesn't eat enough protein, eats/craves too many starchy products instead, unfortunately, The fact that she doesn't enjoy dairy reduces her daily protein intake by quite a bit. I have been making chicken neck soup on regular basis since last time you mentioned it to me, but the necks are too short so I don't think it contains any thyroid. I'm still making it because I like the taste of it but it does nothing else for me/or my daughter, who doesn't like soups. I also have redman's red light device and she likes staring into it so perhaps I should make it a regular thing for her especially now in the winter. I'm also very much warming up to the idea of using enzymes and magnesium baths or homemade Mg spray for her.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Does anyone have anything from Ray Peat on treating autism on children? I found some general stuff on his website but with kids it's so tricky, dosing, thyroid, refusing diary, etc. I so wish I could pay RP to give me some answers. Everyone else is afraid to touch the topic especially if it concerns kids. I asked Benedcte, she told me that she had no experience treating autism. So what's next then? I feel I could really make a progress with her if I had the right info. So frustrating...

Mittir

Magnesium bath seems like a good idea. My experience with enzyme
was not so good. I used it long time ago. It improves digestion but
also felt stomach ache from that. I believe excess protease causes that.
Some people complained skin irritation from magnesium oil spray.
It is good to pay attention to reaction after applying magnesium oil.

Even if you get consultation from Ray Peat, you will need to
adopt his dietary advice to lower serotonin and improve overall
health. I think milk is problematic for people with weak digestion.
Milk is not essential for improved health. Milk curd or soft cheese
can be helpful. Starch and soluble fiber are the two main source
of gut irritation and serotonin. You can remove starch completely
for a week or two see if there is any improvement. Saturated fat
especially refined coconut oil ( if possible hydrogenated coconut oil)
can improve gut function by killing bacteria and increasing metabolism.
In the beginning when i was milk intolerant i ate a lot of coconut oil
for caloric intake and improved thyroid function. RP has mentioned
one can eat up to 50 percent calories as fat. You can post a detail
description of her diet. Have you sent email to RP asking for his
opinion? He usually replies to people for free.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thank you so much, Mittir! It's interesting what you say about dairy because I considered the option that she may avoid it on purpose because it doesn't agree with her. I cook everything in refined coconut oil and butter but she also goes to preschool and there I have no control unfortunately.:( I give her breakfast and dinner, but she gets her lunch and 2 snacks there and it's pretty much starchy, bready things for the snacks and lunch cooked in pufa although nothing deep fat fried. The problem is that as a child and especially as an autistic child she will not eat something because it's good/bad for her. A good thing normally.:) I have been trying to make her milkshakes in the morning, she refuses to drink it, doesn't like stock, carrots, is rather picky. She wants bread with Nutella. (At least the bread I buy is sourdough). Her teeth have 12 cavities which I find alarming at her age and just shows the state of her digestive system. I give her 1 tsp calcium per day in juice really finally ground but she's now protesting against it as well and refused to drink it tonight. Basically I can't force her to eat what she should. For me ideally I can assure she eats as well as she can and make some minor changes but pretty much work with what is. Good news is she eats liver and egg omelette made into a sweet pancakes. For dinner she'd have something nutritious like cottage pie usually followed by sliced apple with milk chocolate. (apple is uncooked but is ripe) I never asked RP as I don't have his email address. Does he still respond to people now who have access to him?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Adding more info. She doesn't like dairy in general, curd cheese and such, she won't eat. Sometimes she asks for yogurt, not RP recommended though. I can't see how to increase her fat intake so much, she enjoys milk chocolate, but I can't see her eating vast amounts of coconut oil. However it sounds like a great way of raising metabolism. Do you have any suggestions how to increase coconut oil in diet? Do you just add more when cooking with it or any particular recipes?

Mittir

Chocolate and egg white both can be quite allergenic, especially
egg white. RP is fine with strained yogurt, it is the lactic acid
in yogurt that is problematic. Vitamin K2 is very helpful in
dental health with adequate calcium and D3. Sugar is beneficial
in many different ways, one is improving dental health.
I think you might have to add good quality additive free
vitamins to prevent nutritional deficiencies and some
therapeutic effect of higher dose vitamins like K2.
Vitamin D deficiency is quite common now, daily dose of
vitamin D3 has shown wide range of health benefits
in addition to bone health.

You can experiment during weekends and holidays
to see if removing starch and allergenic food
makes any difference. I used to just eat coconut oil by spoon
and add to almost everything i was eating. You can make
ice cream with coconut oil. Pectin in apple and other foods can increase
serotonin even if it is ripe. You can try pectin free apple juice
or apple juice concentrate. It is a lot of work figuring out food
that are gut friendly. In addition to charcoal you can experiment
with other antibacterial fiber like cooked mushroom and cooked
bamboo shoots. I have found small amount of cooked bamboo
shoots to be very helpful. Raw carrot salad is bit tricky,
it's effect depends on a lot of things including quality,
size of shredding, timing of the intake, right amount of
chewing etc. You can also look into other safe herbal antiobiotics.