Autism caused by low allopregnenolone , chinese herb can treat

Mauritio

This study shows that the chinese herbal formula Kami-shoyo-san, also known as Jia Wei Xiao Yao Pian, can treat autism / reverse autistic behaviors in mice .

First they show that autistic behaviour was caused by a decrease in allopregnenolone. Then they gave mice the herbal formula and saw that it decreased autistic symptoms.
They say the mechanism of action was mainly an activation of D1 and GABA receptors and they didn't find an increase in allopregnenolone.

"Dysfunctions in the GABAergic system are associated with the pathogenesis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). However, the mechanisms by which GABAergic system dysfunctions induce the pathophysiology of ASD remain unclear. We previously demonstrated that a selective type I 5α-reductase inhibitor SKF105111 (SKF) induced ASD-like behaviors, such as impaired sociability-related performance and repetitive grooming behaviors, in male mice. Moreover, the effects of SKF were caused by a decrease in the endogenous levels of allopregnanolone (ALLO), a positive allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor. In this study, we used SKF-treated male mice as a putative animal model of ASD and examined the effects of Kami-shoyo-san (KSS) as an experimental therapeutic strategy for ASD. KSS is a traditional Kampo formula consisting of 10 different crude drugs and has been used for the treatment of neuropsychiatric symptoms. KSS dose-dependently attenuated sociability deficits and suppressed an increase in grooming behaviors in SKF-treated mice without affecting ALLO content in the prefrontal cortex. The systemic administration of the dopamine D1 receptor antagonist SCH23390 reversed the ameliorative effects of KSS. On the other hand, the dopamine D2 receptor antagonist sulpiride and GABAA receptor antagonist bicuculline only attenuated the ameliorative effect of KSS on repetitive self-grooming behaviors. The present results indicate that KSS improves SKF-induced ASD-like behaviors by facilitating dopamine receptor-mediated mechanisms and partly by neurosteroid-independent GABAA receptor-mediated neurotransmission. Therefore, KSS is a potential candidate for the treatment of ASD."

I found another study that showed an increase in neurosteroid production with Kami-shoyo-san. The most potent neurosteroid is pregenolone or allopregnenolone so it did probably increase one of those.

"These findings suggest that TJ-24 shows the anxiolytic effect through the neurosteroid synthesis followed by GABA(A)/BDZ receptor stimulations."

I have never heard of this herbal formula . But the increase in allopregnenolone/pregnenolone, GABA and dopamin in the brain is very interesting.

Its components:
1613836062488.png

@Hans @Lokzo

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Kami-shoyo-san has also been traditionally used to treat parkinsons . This study shows that theres an anti-tremor effect from it ,which suggests that it has anti-serotonin action, as well .

Explorer

I do remember being more sociable and less socially anxious and overall more in the flow and the moment when I was on this SSRI for 1 year to switch from antiepileptics to a medicine-free state according to my doctor's recommendation and apparently they not only change Serotonin and it's receptors but Allopregnanolone as well

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I do remember being more sociable and less socially anxious and overall more in the flow and the moment when I was on this SSRI for 1 year to switch from antiepileptics to a medicine-free state according to my doctor's recommendation and apparently they not only change Serotonin and it's receptors but Allopregnanolone as well
Yeah I think haidut often mentioned that SSRI's mostly work by up regulating allopregnenolone.
But I haven't heard of the autism allopregnenolone connection...

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Effective for depression and anxiety (more than ssri)

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Effective against dyspepsia

"The results showed that the JWXYS decoction could not only improve the symptoms, but also adjust the abnormal gastric motility and gastric myoelectrical activity of patients with functional dyspepsia."

golder

Seems like a miracle herb, why aren't we all trying this. Anyone found it useful?

Miso

I've used Jia Wei Xiao Yao and its parent formula Xiao Yao for many years prescribed by TCM doctor; it's used to treat TCM pattern of Liver QI stagnation, and one of the most widely prescribed TCM formulas for modern living stress. The Jia Wei Xiao Yao contains additional cooling herbs to help clear heat if present. I use it for stress management, acting basically as an extremely mild SSRI. I've had gallbladder issues and the classic Liver QI stagnation symptoms, so it's well suited formula for me. I wouldn't be taking it without being prescribed to me, as a lot of herbal concoctions can have diminishing returns if used improperly.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

sugarisgreat

Yeah I think haidut often mentioned that SSRI's mostly work by up regulating allopregnenolone.
But I haven't heard of the autism allopregnenolone connection...
This is a pretty interesting autism blog. He just did a post on allopregnenolone:

Also, spectrumawakening.com has a new product-pregnenologne calm, which is basically pregnenolone for autism.

golder

This is a pretty interesting autism blog. He just did a post on allopregnenolone:

Also, spectrumawakening.com has a new product-pregnenologne calm, which is basically pregnenolone for autism.

?

Attachments

• 5D9E62FF-E5EB-4CD8-BE2B-B108AB2800FF.png
    5D9E62FF-E5EB-4CD8-BE2B-B108AB2800FF.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I have tried all the herbs mentioned in this mix... Bupleurum was definitely a powerful herb to induce a state of "light-heartedness" and general giggly feelings. It's used to offset Liver heat. Can also release stored emotions too.
Thanks. I'll try the formula. Sounds like it could be something that really helps with sleep.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Here you can see that finasteride potently blocks Jia Wei Xiao Yaos effect on time spend socializing. Since finasteride inhibits 5a reductase its safe to say that this effect was a caused by DHT or allopregnanolone. In this case its much more likely that its allo since its role in loneliness and sociability is well established .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-183519_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-183519_Drive.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 23

golder

Best supplements to raise allopregnanolone?

progesterone, pregnenolone, 5aDHP, anything else?

Back
Top Bottom