Autism And Stuff Like It

Giraffe

Blinkyrocket said:
Well, what do you mean by antennas?
Antennas is just a picture.

Some people do not filter as good as others. They get tired/stressed faster than other people. = too many antennas

To learn to decipher body language and facial expression comes for most people as natural as learning their mother tongue, for Asperger's however facial expression is like a foreign language. == Asperger's lack antennas.

"Treatment" for Asperger's syndrome (as far as I know) strives to improve the ability to interact with other people.

Blinkyrocket said:
And "Individuals with Asperger syndrome tend to develop an intense interest in a particular subject." This I have, "Often they are able to remember enormous amounts of detail on their subject of interest. They may want to share this large amount of information with others and may resist diversion to other topics."
I do not have Asperger's syndrome, but a lot of the above is true for me too. Only that the interest in a particular subject subsides after a while when other subjects catch my interest.

A child with Asperger's who's special interest is locomotives, would not get distracted easily from it's particular subject (= not switch to other subjects) and with the time it would know nearly everything there is to know about locomotives.

Blinkyrocket said:
And this, "They may also have difficulty tolerating sensory stimuli such as noise or lights." Does panicking when the fireworks go off count for noise? My sister also closes her ears when they shoot the fireworks on the fourth of july and shes got similiar anxiety problems to me and is also very skinny just like me.
Panicking when fireworks go off, panicking in a huge crowd etc. is not "normal", but not that unusual either. Some parents of Asperger's children report that the kid is horrified each time they change the bedclothes and that it is impossible to move the kid go to bed. Search for a good forum to find out more. (Warning: Many English speaking ones I found are full of nasty people. To be nasty is nothing to do with autism.)

Blinkyrocket said:
I hate making eye contact,
This is often reported by Asperger's, but it's not only Asperger's who hate it.

I hate it when people talk to me, but do not look at me. This happens often!

Blinkyrocket said:
"Some of them may even display selective mutism, speaking not at all to most people and excessively to specific people. Some may choose only to talk to people they like." I used to not talk to anyone I didn't feel comfortable around, when I was in preschool, the teachers thought I couldn't speak at all for who knows how long until they heard me talk to my dad when he came to pick me up. I still don't like talking to many people but I force myself to do it.
Sounds like you are introvert, which is neither good nor bad by itself.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Giraffe said:
Blinkyrocket said:
Well, what do you mean by antennas?
Antennas is just a picture.

Some people do not filter as good as others. They get tired/stressed faster than other people. = too many antennas

To learn to decipher body language and facial expression comes for most people as natural as learning their mother tongue, for Asperger's however facial expression is like a foreign language. == Asperger's lack antennas.

"Treatment" for Asperger's syndrome (as far as I know) strives to improve the ability to interact with other people.

Blinkyrocket said:
And "Individuals with Asperger syndrome tend to develop an intense interest in a particular subject." This I have, "Often they are able to remember enormous amounts of detail on their subject of interest. They may want to share this large amount of information with others and may resist diversion to other topics."
I do not have Asperger's syndrome, but a lot of the above is true for me too. Only that the interest in a particular subject subsides after a while when other subjects catch my interest.

A child with Asperger's who's special interest is locomotives, would not get distracted easily from it's particular subject (= not switch to other subjects) and with the time it would know nearly everything there is to know about locomotives.

Blinkyrocket said:
And this, "They may also have difficulty tolerating sensory stimuli such as noise or lights." Does panicking when the fireworks go off count for noise? My sister also closes her ears when they shoot the fireworks on the fourth of july and shes got similiar anxiety problems to me and is also very skinny just like me.
Panicking when fireworks go off, panicking in a huge crowd etc. is not "normal", but not that unusual either. Some parents of Asperger's children report that the kid is horrified each time they change the bedclothes and that it is impossible to move the kid go to bed. Search for a good forum to find out more. (Warning: Many English speaking ones I found are full of nasty people. To be nasty is nothing to do with autism.)

Blinkyrocket said:
I hate making eye contact,
This is often reported by Asperger's, but it's not only Asperger's who hate it.

I hate it when people talk to me, but do not look at me. This happens often!

Blinkyrocket said:
"Some of them may even display selective mutism, speaking not at all to most people and excessively to specific people. Some may choose only to talk to people they like." I used to not talk to anyone I didn't feel comfortable around, when I was in preschool, the teachers thought I couldn't speak at all for who knows how long until they heard me talk to my dad when he came to pick me up. I still don't like talking to many people but I force myself to do it.
Sounds like you are introvert, which is neither good nor bad by itself.
I like to brag that I understand people's emotions better than they do themselves, but I only came to understand the reasons behind why ppl do stuff when I watched tv shows like House. My mother just told me that she hates loud sounds when I asked if she wanted to shoot clay pigeons with us for my birthday and she said that loud noises make her cry and that its uncontrollable.

uuy8778yyi

It's a "modern disease", that was discovered in 1950.

Are people with aspergers time travellers too ?

Giraffe

Blinkyrocket said:
My mother just told me that she hates loud sounds when I asked if she wanted to shoot clay pigeons with us for my birthday and she said that loud noises make her cry and that its uncontrollable.
Maybe she's got very good ears. I always carry earplugs with me when I go somewhere where I expect it to be noisy. I can hear the sound of energy saving lamps, and some sockets make sounds I can hear. Their sounds can be quite nerving.

Here you can test your sensitivity: http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Most adults do not hear 16 kHz frequencies. I do hear them, and they make me feel alarmed. This frequency is big stress for me.

Edit: I hear 16 kHz only at high volume. At lower volume I do not hear anything, but I still get the stress response.

mt_dreams

Giraffe said:
Here you can test your sensitivity: http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Most adults do not hear 16 kHz frequencies. I do hear them, and they make me feel alarmed. This frequency is big stress for me.

Edit: I hear 16 kHz only at high volume. At lower volume I do not hear anything, but I still get the stress response.

Thanks for the link. I look forward to testing where I am on the scale, though I will have to look for my headphones as I rarely use them.

It may be possible that the dislike for loud sounds (in this cause causing one to cry), might be a sign of a messed up nervous system. When I've felt my 2 divisions of the system out of whack, almost like I'm always ready for fight or flight, certain sounds have caused me to spaz out at times. This is not the same as loud music which has no negative effect (unless the music stinks), rather relating only to sharp sounds. Things like smoke detectors, chalk board scratches, steyrofoam friction, certain types of saws, etc. Yet my blender sound which is louder has never had that effect.

Irregardless of my nervous system state, I cannot handle many pulsating frequencies like fluorescent light bulbs with improper ballast setups, or the worse being those mouse preventative plug-ins which at times have forced me down to one knee.

Nina

http://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-Diag ... 0910707677

This book is very useful to know the difference between disorders which share traits.

When is it Asperger's? when is it NOT Asperger's? is it depression or bipolar? At least you know where you stand. A lot of professionals are not well trained, you have to be informed as much as possible.

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Pina said:
http://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-Diagnoses-Gifted-Children-Adults/dp/0910707677

This book is very useful to know the difference between disorders which share traits.

When is it Asperger's? when is it NOT Asperger's? is it depression or bipolar? At least you know where you stand. A lot of professionals are not well trained, you have to be informed as much as possible.
Thanks! Probably have even more chance for misdiagnosis since I'm the one diagnosing.

Nina

It might not be essential to put a name on it, it's a spectrum after all.
What matters the most?
Have you seen improvements since peating?

OP
Blinkyrocket

Blinkyrocket

Pina said:
It might not be essential to put a name on it, it's a spectrum after all.
What matters the most?
Have you seen improvements since peating?
Definitely but not to where I was before the fire, and before I started any diet at all. I can relax like never before but I don't think peating has helped with that but instead the feeling like I'm in control of my mood and the ability to know how it feels to relax is what I think helped with that. But considering I had constant adrenaline, agoraphobia, and horrible insomnia after the fire but before Peat, I'd say yes peating is helping. I just need to cut the fluids cuz I feel them taking their toll, sometimes I can feel them sloshing around in my stomach o_O

Peaterpeater

I believe prenatal stress has a lot to do with it. Prenatal "stress" as in having complications during pregnancy not just emotional type of stress.

montmorency

Blinkyrocket said:
post 90196 Anybody know what good trustworthy info there is on things like Asperger's syndrome? I guess other than "just" serotonin what would the causes be?

Well, it's highly controversial, but presumably you know that some people think that vaccinations at a young age (especially the multi-vaccines) causes, or at least triggers, autism spectrum conditions in some children.

After reading "Dissolving Illusions" by Suzanne Humprhies, I'm now (even) much more skeptical about vaccinations than I was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travis

Perhaps post-vaccination Autism results from a violation of trust? There has a been much theorizing on the topic of autism and abuse/neglect.

Why wouldn't an antisocial syndrome be the result of a terrible society?

When I hate a person I develop an anti-person syndrome against them. When people dominate/manipulate me and I cannot fight back, I avoid eye contact as well. Employers, fathers, and mothers, older brothers, and playground bullies are often in a position to do this.

This is one angle to take on it.

I think vaccines are the devil, but this is a complicated issue. Perhaps Autism is an umbrella diagnosis that encompasses conditions that have different etiologies and should rightly be treated separately. Perhaps most etiological theories are technically correct, in the way that they all lead to the same overly-vague diagnosis.

sugarisgreat

Hi-

I just wanted to lend a sympathetic ear.
As a baby I would go crazy if anyone looked at me (I had a stay at home mom-it is not technology-at least not for me-born 1970.)
I also do not enjoy looking people in the eye, unless I consider them logical (safe).
I have been like this always (that I can remember).
Before I was married, someone told me I must signal a man by looking at him in the eye for 5 seconds to show my interest. NO WAY!
I really only felt comfortable around logical people (stable), especially men, since women tend to be more emotional.
I went along with the "expected program" in HS-Was even captain of the cheerleading squad 3 years and in ASB, but as soon as I went away to college-my natural self returned.
I have two sons now, one is just like me (many of the qualities you listed about yourself/my other son does not have these traits)-they have been quite sheltered by the worlds standards. We have no TV.
That being said-chronic dieting as a young adult (anorexic) really messed up my thyroid.
In retrospect, I see chronic dieting was all about trying to be a part of a world (externals being hyper important), I had no real interest in.
I am a Christian now (did not know truth before) so the way I see things is different and gives me understanding about why I am the way I am.
Why I Believe the Bible - Proof that the Creator God Wrote the Bible

Last edited:

Evgenius

Has anyoune found something that works for aspergers?
Something like a nutrient or supplement, legal or not?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals