Autism and gut connection + insight on how people treat autistic people

BearWithMe

When I eat something I can't properly digest, I always become autistic in the next 48-72 hours.

I'm normally quite outgoing and enjoy human interactions. But when my digestion isn't optimal, I become shy, anxious, depressive, and my body language and movements change, in weird way.

I'm 100% aware of these things the whole time, I just can't control them by will in the moment.

But when I go to the bathroom and expel the triggering food, my autism goes away literally in a hour and I'm back to my outgoing, sociable, charismatic self.

It works every single time.

It is shocking to see how people treat me completelly different depending on what I have eaten.

When my digestion is good, people are super compliant to my requests, eager to hang out with me, super friendly, listening to my every word like I'm celebrity or something.

But when my gut is f**d up, the same people are either super avoidant to me, or super harsh and doing super evil things to me for fun.

I think it is 100% subconscious. They are completely unaware they are doing it. When I feel good, it is like they forget they hated me yesterday. It's bizzare experience.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Have experimented with activated charcoal as a cure to this but it was super inconsistent.

Sometimes it helps, but in the long run I think it makes things worse, as it increases transit time.

Ditto antibiotics. Feels great at first, makes things worse in the long run.

Only thing that works reliably is to get everything out of the system as quickly as possible

Motif

So what does the diet look like that you tolerate?

Do you have histamine issues ?

Why do you think you can’t tolerate a lot ?

mostlylurking

Have experimented with activated charcoal as a cure to this but it was super inconsistent.

Sometimes it helps, but in the long run I think it makes things worse, as it increases transit time.

Ditto antibiotics. Feels great at first, makes things worse in the long run.

Only thing that works reliably is to get everything out of the system as quickly as possible
I can relate to your story. I've had many gut issues over the years along with multiple food sensitivities. I know what you mean about how it affects your personality. I'd like to suggest that you do a couple of things. First, start writing down everything you eat and when you notice a negative reaction. Sometimes an offending food might take a day or even two before you notice there's a problem so this can be a little tricky but after you have a few weeks recorded you will probably be able to notice patterns and be able to discern which foods cause the issue; then you can eliminate them from your diet.

I'm also suggesting that you consider the possibility that the problem has more to do with leaky gut than with bacterial overgrowth. I've been through this problem myself. Leaky gut means that partially digested food molecules are getting through the gut wall and into the blood stream. My issue got so bad that pretty much everything was an offending food; I was almost "universally reactive" which was officially determined by an ALCAT food sensitivity test. Identify Food Sensitivities with the Best Food Sensitivity Test - Get Results! | Cell Science Systems This is considered the "gold standard" of food sensitivity tests and is an expensive test. They just tell you to avoid the offending foods.

Two things that help heal the gut are thiamine and magnesium. Ray Peat advised me to eat well cooked mushrooms everyday, which helped too. However, for me, it was high dose thiamine hcl (plus some magnesium) that has cured the problem.

Thiamine deficiency causes the blood brain barrier to become compromised which lets things into the brain that are normally kept out. I think that this enters into how a food sensitivity (and leaky gut) affects one's mental status.

links:
Blood-brain barrier abnormalities in vulnerable brain regions during thiamine deficiency - PubMed Please note that many things other than alcohol can cause thiamine deficiency. For me, it was heavy metal poisoning via mercury amalgams that started my problems when I was a kid. This problem was exacerbated by the use of Bactrim antibiotic; many pharmaceutical drugs block thiamine function.

You can also use this forum's search engine to find more information about thiamine.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

So what does the diet look like that you tolerate?
Low fiber fruit, milk, occasional meat.

It is not just about diet, though. For example, when I'm very stressed, I can eat absolutely perfect diet, but I won't digest it anyways and become autistic.

Or some supplement might irritate my digestive tract (most of them do, to some extent) and I become autistic.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I can relate to your story. I've had many gut issues over the years along with multiple food sensitivities. I know what you mean about how it affects your personality. I'd like to suggest that you do a couple of things. First, start writing down everything you eat and when you notice a negative reaction. Sometimes an offending food might take a day or even two before you notice there's a problem so this can be a little tricky but after you have a few weeks recorded you will probably be able to notice patterns and be able to discern which foods cause the issue; then you can eliminate them from your diet.

I'm also suggesting that you consider the possibility that the problem has more to do with leaky gut than with bacterial overgrowth. I've been through this problem myself. Leaky gut means that partially digested food molecules are getting through the gut wall and into the blood stream. My issue got so bad that pretty much everything was an offending food; I was almost "universally reactive" which was officially determined by an ALCAT food sensitivity test. Identify Food Sensitivities with the Best Food Sensitivity Test - Get Results! | Cell Science Systems This is considered the "gold standard" of food sensitivity tests and is an expensive test. They just tell you to avoid the offending foods.

Two things that help heal the gut are thiamine and magnesium. Ray Peat advised me to eat well cooked mushrooms everyday, which helped too. However, for me, it was high dose thiamine hcl (plus some magnesium) that has cured the problem.

Thiamine deficiency causes the blood brain barrier to become compromised which lets things into the brain that are normally kept out. I think that this enters into how a food sensitivity (and leaky gut) affects one's mental status.

links:
Blood-brain barrier abnormalities in vulnerable brain regions during thiamine deficiency - PubMed Please note that many things other than alcohol can cause thiamine deficiency. For me, it was heavy metal poisoning via mercury amalgams that started my problems when I was a kid.

You can also use this forum's search engine to find more information about thiamine.
The thing is, I can't tolerate thiamine and magnesium supplements. Like at all. They are the worst trigger for my digestive issues, together with glycine.

Ray Peat is against magnesium supplementation because it causes intestinal irritation, inflammation, rise in histamine and nitric oxide

According to my experience, he is 100% correct on that.

In fact, I'd say that supplement use is probably one of the reasons why my digestion is f**d up

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

Low fiber fruit, milk, occasional meat.

It is not just about diet, though. For example, when I'm very stressed, I can eat absolutely perfect diet, but I won't digest it anyways and become autistic.

Or some supplement might irritate my digestive tract (most of them do, to some extent) and I become autistic.

Have you looked into D-lactate free probiotics? They apparently help some autistic people.

LUH 3417

The thing is, I can't tolerate thiamine and magnesium supplements. Like at all. They are the worst trigger for my digestive issues, together with glycine.

Ray Peat is against magnesium supplementation because it causes intestinal irritation, inflammation, rise in histamine and nitric oxide

I can’t tolerate magnesium supplements either, they have been horrible for my gut in numerous forms that I’ve tried. I can relate to your experiences and symptoms.
For me as time goes on I feel like my digestive issues have a lot to do with a compromised liver and gallbladder. Sometimes even just stretching my upper arms and chest will help my digestion because I feel like it’s making more space.
Do you eat the carrot salad?

LUH 3417

Have you had it checked on ultrasounds?
What about it's shape, sand or stones?
Nope, I can tell from my symptoms and the fact that it’s exacerbated by the 2nd half of my cycle when estrogen dominance prevails

Perry Staltic

I have tried pretty much every kind of probiotics there is

"Pretty much" doesn't necessarily exclude histamine producing probiotics, or what doses you used, which apparently are pretty high when treating autism. Here's an example of one that says it's histamine-free, but really its species don't produce histamines or D-lactate. I haven't seen or done the math on this one so I can't say if it's a good deal or not. Just an example

Amazon product ASIN B08PQ1RTXVView: https://www.amazon.com/Histamine-Lactate-Probiotics-Billion-Digestive/dp/B08PQ1RTXV

Gustav3Y

@raysputin
I have done mine and the doctor says it is not exactly great looking as a shape, I cannot recall exactly, I think it is a bit twisted or something like that. Supposedly that is genetic they said. As far as I recall at least.
Now on the other hand I had some very fine sand in it at some point and on my last check they said nothing of that sort can be seen.

mostlylurking

It is a complicated issue. If you are thiamine deficient, your ability to tolerate magnesium is not good. If you supplement with thiamine, the problem with magnesium intolerance goes away.

Here are some Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: Ray Peat On Vitamin B1 - Thiamine

Here is a Ray Peat interview that mentions magnesium:

View: https://youtu.be/vOvO_kH7lwQ?t=1089

Here is a link to a search engine where you can search Ray Peat audio interviews. Just type Magnesium into the cell: Bioenergetic Search

This article by Ray mentions magnesium multiple times: Epilepsy and Progesterone He talks about how hypothyroidism will cause problems with the body's ability to hold onto magnesium.

You can use this search engine to find what Ray has to say about magnesium:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the search cell on the left.

Here is an Elliot Overton video about thiamine deficiency and magnesium tolerance:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxWivhBdpA

LUH 3417

@raysputin
I have done mine and the doctor says it is not exactly great looking as a shape, I cannot recall exactly, I think it is a bit twisted or something like that. Supposedly that is genetic they said. As far as I recall at least.
Now on the other hand I had some very fine sand in it at some point and on my last check they said nothing of that sort can be seen.
I have mild scoliosis. When I put my hand on my chest, the right side of my sternum protrudes a bit more than my left, so I image there is something structural going on for me and explains why stretching or postural corrections help.

LUH 3417

It is a complicated issue. If you are thiamine deficient, your ability to tolerate magnesium is not good. If you supplement with thiamine, the problem with magnesium intolerance goes away.

Here are some Ray Peat quotes about thiamine: Ray Peat On Vitamin B1 - Thiamine

Here is a Ray Peat interview that mentions magnesium:

View: https://youtu.be/vOvO_kH7lwQ?t=1089

Here is a link to a search engine where you can search Ray Peat audio interviews. Just type Magnesium into the cell: Bioenergetic Search

This article by Ray mentions magnesium multiple times: Epilepsy and Progesterone He talks about how hypothyroidism will cause problems with the body's ability to hold onto magnesium.

You can use this search engine to find what Ray has to say about magnesium:
PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the search cell on the left.

Here is an Elliot Overton video about thiamine deficiency and magnesium tolerance:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxWivhBdpA

Right, he also mentioned how a doctor was giving IV magnesium, and how his hypothyroid patients were not retaining the magnesium until they were getting supplemental thyroid as well, at which point the doctor lost all his patients because they were basically cured. I can’t say I’ve heard him recommend an oral supplement of magnesium, he seems to always refer to food sources and in this one rare instance, IV magnesium.

Gustav3Y

Interestingly enough around here I keep hearing people talking about how they get nausea or other issues after eating and weirdly enough I even see a sort of acceptance of a un-fixable issue when that matter is expressed, while the base of the issue is supposedly gallbladder.

Oh my gallbladder is acting up, of I suffer with the gallbladder, etc.

I have not seen much on this forum about the gallbladder.
Ironically the same people say that when you have you gallbladder removed you get rid of being sick after you eat (like nausea, headache, etc)
Of course I am talking about regular people with no interest in anything relating to anything talked about on this forum.

Have you guys ever heard of anything like this in a matter of scientific fact?

mostlylurking

Right, he also mentioned how a doctor was giving IV magnesium, and how his hypothyroid patients were not retaining the magnesium until they were getting supplemental thyroid as well, at which point the doctor lost all his patients because they were basically cured. I can’t say I’ve heard him recommend an oral supplement of magnesium, he seems to always refer to food sources and in this one rare instance, IV magnesium.
Yes, I think you're right, I think he recommends food sources. He also focuses on how the body can't hold onto magnesium if you are hypothyroid. Peat is not anti magnesium. He mentions the problem of not being able to hold onto magnesium many times, in relation to hypothyroidism. I'm wondering if it is hypothyroidism itself or is it the failure of metabolic energy caused by hypothyroidism that causes the inability to hold onto magnesium. The reason I think this is important is that metabolic energy can also be blocked by thiamine deficiency. I've had both problems, hypothyroidism AND thiamine deficiency.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

"Pretty much" doesn't necessarily exclude histamine producing probiotics, or what doses you used, which apparently are pretty high when treating autism. Here's an example of one that says it's histamine-free, but really its species don't produce histamines or D-lactate. I haven't seen or done the math on this one so I can't say if it's a good deal or not. Just an example

Amazon product ASIN B08PQ1RTXVView: https://www.amazon.com/Histamine-Lactate-Probiotics-Billion-Digestive/dp/B08PQ1RTXV
After certain point I was very particular to buy only probiotics that doesn't produce histamines or D-lactate.

Have tried maybe dozens of such products.

It doesn't work, sorry.

It can't work.

Probiotics aim to mask the symptom instead of fixing the underlying cause.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I can’t tolerate magnesium supplements either, they have been horrible for my gut in numerous forms that I’ve tried. I can relate to your experiences and symptoms.
For me as time goes on I feel like my digestive issues have a lot to do with a compromised liver and gallbladder. Sometimes even just stretching my upper arms and chest will help my digestion because I feel like it’s making more space.
Do you eat the carrot salad?
I have come exactly to the same conclusion.

Sadly, I can't tolerate carrot salad either. Did it helped your liver?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals