"Authoritarian"

bobbybobbob

I can't get over what a stupid and lazy slur "authoritarian" is. It gets thrown around all the time around here. Please define exactly what it means.

The term is directly from Wilehlm Reich's writings, which were pretty explicitly a reaction to Nazism. Reich himself has a lot of interesting stuff to say but was also obviously an extremely weird dude with a mess of very bizarre sexual hang-ups. I dare you to read more about him without getting weird-ed out.

I hear Danny Roddy and Haidut throw this term "authoritarian" around without explication and my brain just shuts down because it's so dumb in the contexts they try to use it.

Why can't reference simply be made to specific erroneous ideas? "Authoritarian" is a lazy smear on the level of "commie" "fascist" "hick" "pseudo-intellectual" "racist" and nothing more.

"Extremely weird" on the other hand is very non-lazy thing to say :shifty:

OP
B

bobbybobbob

I'd like to get a definition as well, just to levelset everyone.

Based on some of Danny Roddy's posts, I'm assuming they're referring to this book (I haven't read it)- The Authoritarians: Amazon.com: Books

I read some of the Reich stuff but not this one. In both cases it's all seems mostly like thinly veiled anti-christianity more than anything else. They deeply dislike traditional christianity and reject it, and then declare any ardent defenders of it mentally ill, rather than be upfront about their motivations. It's pretty transparent once you get it.

goodandevil

I can't get over what a stupid and lazy slur "authoritarian" is. It gets thrown around all the time around here. Please define exactly what it means.

The term is directly from Wilehlm Reich's writings, which were pretty explicitly a reaction to Nazism. Reich himself has a lot of interesting stuff to say but was also obviously an extremely weird dude with a mess of very bizarre sexual hang-ups. I dare you to read more about him without getting weird-ed out.

I hear Danny Roddy and Haidut throw this term "authoritarian" around without explication and my brain just shuts down because it's so dumb in the contexts they try to use it.

Why can't reference simply be made to specific erroneous ideas? "Authoritarian" is a lazy smear on the level of "commie" "fascist" "hick" "pseudo-intellectual" "racist" and nothing more.
Different strokes for different folks.

DaveFoster

All those people are authoritarian with the exception of the hick and racist, and even those easily degenerate.

Founding Fathers - Libertarian Right (social and economic freedom)
Fascists, Aristocrats, and Monarchists - Authoritarian Right (social and economic control)
Progressives and Communists - Authoritarian Left (everything goes to ***t and people die en masse) see here.
Hippies and Anarcho-syndicalists - Libertarian Left (only works in tribal contexts)

Here's a graphic to represent the American political climate drawn by yours truly in handy Microsoft paint. Notice the elastic snap-band into the authoritarian right.
Murica.png

Last edited:

goodandevil

"The healthy individual has a natural, rather than a compulsive, morality. The former leads to health and order, the latter to neuroses, criminality, perversion, and chaos." Couldn't agree more.

Greg says

I was really into BMX as a kid and was touched today by the suicide of Dave Mirra. A 41 year old man with a wife and two kids and what seemed like a comfortable life with lots of friends. Of course you have to ask why?

Life is not terrible to warrant shooting yourself. It is beyond amazing and should be full of potential. But the way we live, the way we are caged is awful. As my health has improved by raising my metabolism I still feel a heavy feeling of...what can I now do with this great health? Being healthy inside a cage is still being inside a cage.

I just watched this BBC documentary. Willhelm Reich is mentioned. We really have met the stage in life Orwell and Huxley wrote about. Our manufactured environment is creating our lack of energy/low metabolic rate/ underlying depression. We are like lab rats. I feel that our options to move around in the maze are getting slimmer and slimmer. And our treats fewer and fewer. This is all manufacturer by the narcissistic parental abuser which is the powers that be. They do not care about your happiness. They just want you to go back to work and shut up. We are clearly trying to be made more stupid, dependant, sicker and easy to sell to. No matter how high my temps are this still makes me very depressed.

The Century of the Self - Part 1 of 4 - Happiness Machine - 480p - Video Dailymotion

I posted this here are I can't figure out how to make a new topic. :banghead:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 115

Kasper

What I don't understand about this authoritarian thing, is that people are saying that it is caused by serotonin.

But on the other hand, serotonin is supposed to cause helplessness:

> In this state, animals that would normally swim for hours will stop swimming after a few minutes and allow themselves to drown.

That doesn't sound like an authoritarian to me.

James_001

What I don't understand about this authoritarian thing, is that people are saying that it is caused by serotonin.

But on the other hand, serotonin is supposed to cause helplessness:

> In this state, animals that would normally swim for hours will stop swimming after a few minutes and allow themselves to drown.

That doesn't sound like an authoritarian to me.

http://members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf

Sounds like you are confusing authoritarianism with dominance

Makrosky

" New Psychiatry is overwhelmingly BS. Anybody who is selling a book or program needs to be shouted down. People are anxious and neurotic because their lives suck. Period." bobbybobbob, Today at 2:35 AM

This is a perfect example of being an "authoritarian" :D

Kasper

Can you clarify your point @James_001? I'm not going to read a 261 page pdf to understand what you are trying to say.

But yes, I think of autoritarian as dominating, or at least trying to dominate. No?

Makrosky

As my health has improved by raising my metabolism I still feel a heavy feeling of...what can I now do with this great health?
I highly suspect when you find this, your metabolism goes up without needing any supplement or putting gelatin in your coffee or salt in your orange juice.

Hugh Johnson

All those people are authoritarian with the exception of the hick and racist, and even those easily degenerate.

Founding Fathers - Libertarian Right (social and economic freedom)
You have no idea what you are talking about. One of the primary concerns of the founding fathers' was limiting the power of private wealth and to use state directed industrial and protectionist trade policy to develop the country. That is why the US is no longer a resource colony.

Greg says

I highly suspect when you find this, your metabolism goes up without needing any supplement or putting gelatin in your coffee or salt in your orange juice.

I agree. Doing a job you love, or at least having some level of excitement to get out of bed in the morning is the foundation of optimal health.

I'll add, during the summer time I always feel much better than I do in winter. In the summer I don't spend much time on this forum and neither do I take any supplements.

Tarmander

You can definite it broadly in any number of ways, but to define it in your own life is pretty easy. Authoritarian is just someone else who try's to influence your behavior. Really simple.

dfspcc20

I seem to remember someone, not sure who, apply the term (either directly or implicitly) both to people preaching their authority, and also those accepting the authority.

narouz

I've disagreed with you in other threads on things Trumpian, bob.
But I happen to agree with you on this one.
Oft times on this forum if one tries to be careful, faithful, exacting in interpreting Peat,
one opens oneself to charges of "authoritarianism."
There are some unstated agendas active around these parts--
like "inclusivity" (which I'm for...just run a bit amok in this context).
Long time ago I tried to explore what an optimal Peat diet would be.
"Diet" as in "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats."
Was amazed at the backlash simply to that word--"diet."
Its use was decried as "authoritarian."

Incidentally, much has been written about Trump's authoritarian impulses:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

"In fact, I’ve found a single statistically significant variable predicts whether a voter supports Trump—and it’s not race, income or education levels: It’s authoritarianism."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-weiler/demystifying-the-trump-co_b_8089380.html

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428208/trump-anti-constitutional-authoritarian

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom