Australian Mob Trying To Put PUFA Into Lamb

lvysaur

Let them try, it won't work.

Even pigs fed on a specially formulated PUFA diet will only store about 25% of their fat as PUFA. Pigs fed a normal diet have much lower amounts, and this is very apparent to anyone who's ever had pasture raised pork. It has much higher amounts of saturated fat, particularly in the belly area.

People buy lamb and beef because they want lamb and beef. Once the PUFA content reaches a certain level, the product will no longer taste like what people are looking for, and it will lose popularity. Unsaturated things taste bad.

meatbag

"animal science researchers from the University of Tasmania and the CSIRO have come up with a winning formula of feed pellets infused with omega-3-rich oils, including rice bran oil, safflower oil and canola oil"

Last edited:

milk_lover

Please stop this madness, Australians. We buy your imported sheep. Not cool.

Peata

Ugh.

And I think most of the eggs from the store in the US are from soy and flax-fed chickens.

schultz

I read papers on livestock from time to time and see a lot of papers on scientists trying to up the level of PUFA in ruminant animals. From what I remember, they usually have to feed them in such a way that the oil bypasses the initial digestion (and therefore bio-hydrogenation). So they come up with different strategies and think they are doing some kind of amazing thing. Leave ruminant animals alone!

They are pretty amazing creatures. Milk and low PUFA meat! Imagine having a few goats a couple thousand years ago? You'd have an animal that eats grass and foliage, and drinks pond water, and turns it into protein, carbohydrates and fat, along with "filtered" water, vitamins and minerals. It's like the greatest thing ever! Not to mention they enrich the soil.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
University of Tasmania. Tasmania is our San Francisco. Ultra-left greenies and organic gluten-free crusaders as far as the eye can see.

"animal science researchers from the University of Tasmania and the CSIRO have come up with a winning formula of feed pellets infused with omega-3-rich oils, including rice bran oil, safflower oil and canola oil"

lol you can't make this ***t up

Oh Lord...

yerrag

Dammit. If you look at the amino acid profile of lamb, they are much lower in methionine, cysteine, and tryptophan, as compared to our regular sources of meat.

Nice meat, and then they want to put PUFA in them. I don't know if it's true, but goat simply refuse to eat grains. Is the same true for sheep? And these guys want to force PUFA on them? And make them healthier?

I think they want to just exhaust our sources of good meat. Something real fishy going on, as usual. The rulers just can't be satisfied until they've gotten all of us turned into zombies.

OP
Herbie

Herbie

The article said that they will sell the omega 3 enriched lamb for a premium which will be labeled as such.

A. squamosa

I'm a 'greenie' and into organics, I also try to avoid grains, and you could probably describe my political leanings as left. I don't think they should be altering animal products in that way either.

University of Tasmania. Tasmania is our San Francisco. Ultra-left greenies and organic gluten-free crusaders as far as the eye can see.

Oh Lord...

yerrag

Oh Lord...
Hard to make a connection. Is the Tasmanian Devil their mascot? I hope not. ;)

AretnaP

"scientists are using omega-3 to change animal fat from being the way it was molded by evolution to be, to being the way they thought it should be"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals