• SA

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • NSW

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • ACT

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

thomas00

Was in Woolies and noticed that the cheapo Woolworths branded butter is imported from NZ. Which means is fully-or if not mostly-pastured, compared to the more expensive Aussie stuff which is only partially pastured.

It's definitely more yellow than the Aussie stuff. And a fair bit cheaper.

bluewren

Was in Woolies and noticed that the cheapo Woolworths branded butter is imported from NZ. Which means is fully-or if not mostly-pastured, compared to the more expensive Aussie stuff which is only partially pastured.

Thanks!

Herbie

Which brands of butter do you find are only partly pasteurized?

thomas00

*pastured

I think all of the Australian made ones are only partly pastured, apart from the few uber expensive ones that claim to be grass fed

Herbie

*pastured

I think all of the Australian made ones are only partly pastured, apart from the few uber expensive ones that claim to be grass fed

Oh I am so focused on finding raw dairy I misunderstood.

Particularly now with the drought, the cows will be supplmented with grain.

thomas00

was in Aldi today and notice they have a cream cheese with no gums added to it, a rarity for Oz supermarkets. Imported from Germany though for what it's worth.

Herbie

Thanks @thomas00

The bega country style cheese uses animal rennet and black and gold is the same from independents.

Most use the vegetarian rennet and Ray has warned about them and it says non animal rennet on them.

Jman

Thanks @thomas00

The bega country style cheese uses animal rennet and black and gold is the same from independents.

Most use the vegetarian rennet and Ray has warned about them and it says non animal rennet on them.

Are you sure about the bega? because even if they just say "Enzyme (rennet)" on the packet they are still most likely using the non-animal rennet. You pretty much have to email them and ask. Ive emailed several brands over the years and its always been non-animal rennet.

Herbie

@Jman

Maybe I am wrong.

The countey light one says rennet only, all the other bega cheese says non animal rennet so I figured it was animal because they didn’t specify that is wasn’t animal.

olive

Australia has great juices. You can get 100% cold pressed pomegranate, cranberry, beetroot, etc at $3-5/L at independent/middle eastern grocers.
Tomato paste is extremely cheap and a great source of micronutrients. 500g homebrand jar is only $1-$1.5.
Tons of cheap mango on the shelves right now. And blueberries.
Coles just started selling frozen pomegranate perils at a reasonable price.
Coconut water can be had for the cheap if you look out for sales. Avoid the Woolworths home brand, seems to be watered down - especially if you look at the potassium content Vs other brands.
Whole ocean trout is a tasty, less trendy source of o3 than salmon and hence is much cheaper.
Sweet potato is cheap as chips year round.
Woolworths does a cheap homebrand canned oyster in spring water.
Woolworths macro has a reasonably priced cocoa nib pouch. No nasty stuff like in the lindt/Cadbury chocolate blocks on the shelves.
Pea protein pasta is reasonably affordable and a high protein, gluten free alternative to durum wheat.
Kangeroo mince can sub for red meat in any tomato based recipe as the tomato flavour covers up any of the game-y-ness. It’s also a fair bit cheaper, leaner and has a better micronutrient profile than beef/lamb.

Last edited:

olive

who needs any source of 03 :policeofficer:
PUFA gets preferentially burned. If not intentionally gaining weight I don’t think a little trout once a week is a big deal, I quietly re-introduced small qty’s of o3 to my diet a few months ago and have been thoroughly tracking changes both good and bad. Personally I’ve noticed much better skin, less bloat and thicker hair. To each their own though.

My insulin sensitivity and fasting glucose have also improved dramatically since lowering SFA intake.

aussiebaldguy

Australia has great juices. You can get 100% cold pressed pomegranate, cranberry, beetroot, etc at $3-5/L at independent/middle eastern grocers.
Tomato paste is extremely cheap and a great source of micronutrients. 500g homebrand jar is only $1-$1.5.
Tons of cheap mango on the shelves right now. And blueberries.
Coles just started selling frozen pomegranate perils at a reasonable price.
Coconut water can be had for the cheap if you look out for sales. Avoid the Woolworths home brand, seems to be watered down - especially if you look at the potassium content Vs other brands.
Whole ocean trout is a tasty, less trendy source of o3 than salmon and hence is much cheaper.
Sweet potato is cheap as chips year round.
Woolworths does a cheap homebrand canned oyster in spring water.
Woolworths macro has a reasonably priced cocoa nib pouch. No nasty stuff like in the lindt/Cadbury chocolate blocks on the shelves.
Pea protein pasta is reasonably affordable and a high protein, gluten free alternative to durum wheat.
Kangeroo mince can sub for red meat in any tomato based recipe as the tomato flavour covers up any of the game-y-ness. It’s also a fair bit cheaper, leaner and has a better micronutrient profile than beef/lamb.
Hi thx re oysters, are they smoked or ???

aussiebaldguy

Meat Emporium Alexandria has good organ meat selection
A and S meats mascot - very reasonable $ grass fed meat, way less than coles

Monica Judd

I don't really know how I would determine the quality of any store bought OJ. Any commercial OJ is not as ideal as fresh squeezed, but if it is making sticking to RP more affordable and convenient, then it works for me and my husband. It's a personal decision. I have been on the health journey forever and have, in the past, gone to extreme lengths to get the best quality of everything. In the end I spent thousands of dollars without really feeling any better. There is a middle road and I find it works for me and I am now saving money. Also keeps stress levels down, which is far more important, for me, than anything.

hei

But is the quality good?
I think it tastes good but it's a bit variable and tends to be a bit tarter than Nudie or Original Black Label. The Woolworths OJ is the same price as the coles OJ and isn't as tart but I didn't really like it for whatever reason.
Recently tried East Coast orange juice and thought it was very nice and sweet, not tart at all. Likewise for Community Co from IGA, but it only seems to be available with pulp which some people try to avoid.

I don't buy juice at WW anymore as a couple of times I bought 4 bottles (one time WW brand and another Nudie) and they all had tasted like they had started to ferment. Figured it was likely to be a handling problem and, indeed, a while later I went there to get something else and saw a whole pallet of fresh juice and stuff just sitting in the aisle with nobody putting it away. I guess if it were common there would be more complaints about it but I don't bother anymore.

A. squamosa

even in pulp-free there should be a separated layer in the juice - if the juice is fully integrated it means some sort of enzyme has been added, that's how you can tell freshness, i believe.

Back
Top Bottom