Votes: 5 11.4%
  • NSW

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • ACT

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

churchmouth

Hi all,

Simply I have often wondered how many other Australian 'peatarians', and what gems of knowledge they have in regards to sourcing high quality or cost effective products. My shopping bill comes in pretty high thanks to oysters at 20$ a dozen, Nudie Juice at ~$6/2L and A2 skim Milk at $4.7/2L.

Frankly we probably don't have the sort of diversity of products as you see in America, so we might get some good agreement on what is optimal.

Key starting topics (off the top of my head) would be:
- What source of fresh OJ do you use? I use 'Nudie pulp free' but it is quite expensive.
- Does Australian dairy use iodine(iodide?) for udder sterilisation purposes? Is supermarket meat mostly grass fed?
- Any good Coles/ Woolworths/ Aldi products worth a look?
- Fruits that tend to be good choices in Aus.
- What overseas vendors are good, assuming locally isn't availiable? Thyroid, fat soluable vitamins etc.

Cheers!

Herbie

Hi all,

Simply I have often wondered how many other Australian 'peatarians', and what gems of knowledge they have in regards to sourcing high quality or cost effective products. My shopping bill comes in pretty high thanks to oysters at 20$ a dozen, Nudie Juice at ~$6/2L and A2 skim Milk at $4.7/2L.

Frankly we probably don't have the sort of diversity of products as you see in America, so we might get some good agreement on what is optimal.

- What source of fresh OJ do you use? I use 'Nudie pulp free' but it is quite expensive.
- Does Australian dairy use iodine(iodide?) for udder sterilisation purposes? Is supermarket meat mostly grass fed?
- What overseas vendors are good, assuming locally isn't availiable? Thyroid, fat soluable vitamins etc.

Cheers!
I live in NSW

FYI the Coles brand milk and Woolworths brand milk are the expensive brands like diary farmers and devondale etc bottled in the generic branding and a lot cheaper. (search the whirlpool forum for factory workers confirming this) Our milk is already high in a2 I'm not sure if that a2 brand milk is just cleaver marketing. The only difference with aldi for me is that they sell fruit in glass jars. I shop at Coles and Woolworths I think they have some great food.

Oysters can be had for $16 a dozen, try a fish co-op or you could try the canned ones from china but they are a different beast for 90 cents.

-Nudie is sour, I juice my own and buy the oranges from a farmers market (very sweet). In my opinion the oj with preservatives is safer than Nudie some people on whirlpool forum report mould in Nudie juice.

- Historically, dairy foods contained high levels of iodine due to the sanitisers used in dairy processing which contained iodophors. These sanitisation techniques have been phased out of the processes now involved in sterilisation of dairy equipment. As a result, dairy today has reduced levels of iodine and is a less reliable iodine source. Iodine Facts | Nutrition Australia

- With cattle it depends, I live on the east coast and all the dairy farms are in lush green paddocks but once I get over the range I see the grain feedlots and cattle grazing in dryer areas to supplement for lack of grass so its difficult to tell and some cattle are farmed out in the desert and heavily rely on grain. In my opinion we have the best cattle farming and dairy in the world.

- Our fruit is some of the best in the world we are very lucky to have such a great variety of fresh fruit and vegetables available around the year due to the extreme climates of the country and farmers markets to buy from. Eat in season. (be careful of sulphur on fruit) Ray Peat Approved Safe Fruits

- Search Pimpom products on here for NDT shipped from Thailand all legit and good service from experience.

- Idealabs, Legit, no customs issues, excellent service from experience.

-Iherb for geletin and some vitamins but consult toxinless.com for clean sources and brands

Last edited:
OP
C

churchmouth

What do you mean about Aldi in glass jar? Fruit juice in glass?

Are you sure it was Nudie OJ that had mould? I have read some concerns with apple juice but not necessarily the OJ. How much OJ do you juice? I'd be very busy doing .5-1L a day of orange juice!!

Great reply, thanks! Will have more comments this weekend.

Herbie

Yeah Ray Peat says if your going to buy canned fruit try and buy it in glass jars because the bpa and metals concern.

I have a 200-300ml oj in the morning, I drink water and coca cola. What juicer to you use?

With the Nudie and mould, I'm not able to confirm if it was from OJ or AJ.

Either way I think the Nudie OJ is too sour has a negative effect on me and nothing near a fresh squeezed juice.

Last edited:

walker_in_aus

The Hello From Australia was my thread, lots of helpful people in there. I can get Sunzest Organic OJ in local wholefoods stores and IGA that is very fresh, sweet and seems more like real juice! I also agree Idealabs has great service to Australia, but NDT has become expensive. Also agree that Aldi fancy glass jars of preserved peaches and pears are DELICIOUS and affordable. I buy tinned lychees though, do the best you can. Lychees make everything good.

I find the NZ Hoki from Coles when fresh, is always good. I'm in central Vic so fresh oysters and prawns are super expensive. Given I can't put an oyster near my mouth yet, not really a problem for me.

I have dairy farmer friends and even if they are in Gippsland which is always green, they supplement with grain. But it's a pasture dominated diet. I used to work for Cadbury and they would mix all the reject chocolate back into the grain that feeds their Dairy Milk Cows, how cool is that? Cocoa Pops.

Apparantly Peptipro do great gelatin/collagen now, haven't bought it myself.

Jman

Hey there, I never post on here but felt like sharing some aussie tips.

I buy bulk Crown prince oysters in olive oil (drain the olive oil) from Iherb, most of the time I buy express shipping and it still comes in at like 5 or 6 dollars a can. They are way better quality than any of the canned oysters you can buy here, I actually enjoy them, and you save money and time compared to fresh.

Presha fruit apple juice, its expensive but its really good quality clear apple juice with nothing added. It also lasts a really long time if un opened, I always keep one at the back of the fridge.

Nudie tastes sad and harsh compared to home squeezed with non sour oranges. But good oranges are hard to come across about half of the year in my experience.

Haagen dazs ice cream you can get at woolwoorths just incase you didnt know. Costs an arm and leg, but you probably find yourself going back to buy it anyway.

If you use allot of aspirin and want to pay next to nothing, coles sells 20 tabs for $1, you need to use water straight out of the kettle to get it to dissolve well.

Meds from farmacias with colourfull website I have imported no problems, dont buy more then 3 bottles of anything at a time would probably be wise.

Progest-e imported no problems. Actually I dont think theres anything that I have bought that hasnt got through, lol. I think Ive heard of dhea being stopped though.

Health natura products take a long time to arrive in the post.

If I think of anything else I will be sure to post it. Cheers.

A. squamosa

I spend a lot on groceries not only because I try to eat Peat style, but I also try to eat animal-friendly and sustainably too. I don't like to pay more than something is worth, but I also think it's important to disabuse oneself of the idea that food simply ought to be cheap. Often for food to be cheap, especially in Australia (and I imagine America too?) it has to be produced cruelly and unsustainably (animal products) or unsustainably and actively environmentally destructive (animal products, plants, fish, etc).

Supermarket products will be factory farmed unless otherwise specified (all grain fed, cruel conditions). If they say "grass/pasture fed" this is no guarantee of them having been "grass/pasture finished". If they don't specify grass/pasture finished, they have probably been sent to a feedlot to be fattened up with grains etc for the last few months of their lives (i.e. factory farm). If a supermarket says "organic" and nothing else, then it's just organic grains.

Supermarket fruit and veg is pretty much all gonna be monoculture produced - highly unsustainable and bad for the environment. They do have some organic sections I believe.

Sorry to get on my soapbox! Here's a list of places I rely on:

Panetta in Marrickville Metro (NSW, Sydney, Inner West) has an excellent selection of imported cheese for reasonable prices.

Feather and Bone and Ethical Farmers are butcheries that both provide pasture raised + finished animals, based in NSW. Cannot recommend these two butcheries highly enough.

Wholefoods House has amazing seasonal fruit and veg all the time (expensive though). Aust. has amazing papaya and custard apple when they're in season (you know when things are in season because they get cheaper). Stick to in season tropical fruits - we've got so much choice in Australia, we're very lucky that way. If the fruit is unripe, simply grill or bake it :) (or for something like apple or pear, stew it!)

Barambah, Highland Organics, Jannei, Over the Moon, Raw by Cow, Miranda Dale - all good dairy sources (NSW and Victoria regions)

Fromart is a great Australian cheese maker (animal rennet, not vegetable).

I squeeze my own oranges!

Gundooee + Egganic eggs are amazing.

Kohu Road makes some lovely ice cream (not all of their flavours are Peat friendly) - I prefer to make my own ice cream though.

If you want some super nice chocolate power go for Grounded Pleasures - their african red chocolate powder is cocoa and sugar - it is crazy delicious (their vanilla is superb as well).

Cornersmith (Sydney) does pectin free marmalades and jams, I think the brand Whisk and Pin does too. Both are expensive, so if you want to avoid that just make your own, check it: naringenin: inhibiting inflammation with marmalade | The Nutrition Coach

When I want seafood I go to the fish markets, Claudio's is my favourite vendor there (plenty of local, wild caught, small white varieties). Check this out before you go though: Seafood Search · Australia's Sustainable Seafood Guide

That's it. Good luck! Remember, good quality, well produced food is a luxury, not an entitlement.

Hi all,

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
C

churchmouth

So much good information..

Has anyone found any other icecream other than Haagen Daaz that is acceptable? It is so expensive (11$ish a 0.5L).

I'm going to try squeeze my own OJ on the weekends, thought i'd be just as likely to get sour oranges as I am to get a sour batch of nudies.

walker_in_aus

So much good information..

Has anyone found any other icecream other than Haagen Daaz that is acceptable? It is so expensive (11$ish a 0.5L).

I'm going to try squeeze my own OJ on the weekends, thought i'd be just as likely to get sour oranges as I am to get a sour batch of nudies.

Slim Birdy, who is a semi converted Peatist, just put up a recipe to make easy icecream from light condensed milk. I've spend 20 mins in both coles and woolies frozen sections and there aren't any I could find. Even Haagen-Daaz hard started to use soy lecithin now :(

Aside from that, small gelati/icecream shops might? Noosa has some amazing icecream stores if you go there. Massimos and the Gympie Terrace gelati place are incredible.

Untitled1.jpeg

There are some others.

OP
C

churchmouth

My favorite Haagen Daaz is the macadamia brittle one.. that one is pretty clean. A few other flavors contain the soy/ vegetable oils.
May have to look into buying an icecream maker.

Is anyone drinking skim milk? Do all the skim milks contain added "milk solids"?

Herbie

barbie = BBQ
bludger = a lazy person
brekkie = breakfast
budgie smugglers = Speedos (men’s bathing suit)
dunno = ‘I don’t know’
d*ck head = idiot
esky = insulated food and drink container
hard yakka = hard work
hoon = dangerous driver
jumper = sweater/pullover
mate = friend
mishus = Mrs, Wife.
mystery bags = snags, sausages
no worries = it’s no problem
she’ll be right = it will be ok
singo = singlet
have a crack = have a try
tucker = food
ute = utility/pickup truck

stevski

I believe the soft drinks/sodas in Aus are made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. when I read the ingredients on most, I see it says Sucrose. I like that.

Herbie

I believe the soft drinks/sodas in Aus are made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. when I read the ingredients on most, I see it says Sucrose. I like that.

Yes soda (soft drink) in Australia is made from cane sugar including Coca Cola, red bull etc.

The only one I've noticed which isn't is Dr Pepper in super markets.

OP
C

churchmouth

Just found Kohu road at my "farmer jacks" store in WA. Good ingredient list, on the salted caramel. It was a bit intense though, almost too rich.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom