“Augie” the 20 year old golden retriever

Mauritio

Awesome, dogs are great !

DANIEL

Goldens are one of the best breeds

I'm actually planning on getting one next year (as a first time dog-owner)

Mauritio

Yeah they are :)

I had a golden retriever myself so I thought some dog lovers here would enjoy the read.
If I had a dog he would get one hell of peaty diet . All the gelatin in the world ?

mrchibbs

He looks like a good boy!

OP
Alex Jaramillo
Goldens are one of the best breeds

I'm actually planning on getting one next year (as a first time dog-owner)
I agree, very loving and perceptive of human emotion. Good luck with your first dog :)

tankasnowgod

Well, yeah, but remember those 38 year old cats that ate bacon everyday?

Nicole W.

This dog is truly an anomaly. I can’t believe he’s made it to 20, although I did know a Golden who got to be 17. He ate table scraps his whole life, so I always attributed his longevity to his diet. The Hill’s diet Augie is on is complete garbage. It blows my mind he hasn’t developed cancer yet, as most Goldens do. My Golden developed lymphoma at 12, and at that time I decided that I would probably not get another Golden due to their propensity for cancer. He was the nicest person I’ve ever known. They are such wonderful dogs, I would love to have another one...

Regina

This dog is truly an anomaly. I can’t believe he’s made it to 20, although I did know a Golden who got to be 17. He ate table scraps his whole life, so I always attributed his longevity to his diet. The Hill’s diet Augie is on is complete garbage. It blows my mind he hasn’t developed cancer yet, as most Goldens do. My Golden developed lymphoma at 12, and at that time I decided that I would probably not get another Golden due to their propensity for cancer. He was the nicest person I’ve ever known. They are such wonderful dogs, I would love to have another one...
They tend to say that that is their only flaw. In dog circles, the breed is referred to as the golden cancer retriever.
This dog is a marvel.

OP
Alex Jaramillo
Well, yeah, but remember those 38 year old cats that ate bacon everyday?

Imagine cats drinking coffee ?

OP
Alex Jaramillo

@Nicole W. My golden passed when I was a teen and I named him “Chaser” because he literally chased a lady in my neighborhood to pet him. Yes, they are certainly wonderful. I would love to get another. I want to provide a good life, good food and ample land so the dog can frolich around lol

OP
Alex Jaramillo
My golden passed when I was a teen and I named him “Chaser” because he literally chased a lady in my neighborhood to pet him. Yes, they are certainly wonderful. I would love to get another. I want to provide a good life, good food and ample land so the dog can frolich around lol

Scout88at

I love seeing this. My ridgeback/pit mix is going on 14. Has had great health his entire life. Last year he had to have his spleen removed and was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and we were told he probably has 2-4 weeks to live. That was four months ago and all I see when I look at him is a happy, hungry, and energetic dog. We feed him raw liver, heart, and kidney with coconut oil, gelatin and shilajit. He is still spry enough to catch some rabbits in the backyard. I hope to have him around for a few more years.

Nicole W.

They tend to say that that is their only flaw. In dog circles, the breed is referred to as the golden cancer retriever.
This dog is a marvel.
I had a wholistic veterinarian tell me once that the reason Goldens are so prone to cancer is because the breeders were over-selecting for that “ niceness” trait. Somehow there a connection supposedly. The more pleasing and sweet the dog, the more prone to cancer. She told me at the time that researchers started a trial of 4000 Goldens to test this suspicion that many Golden breeders had noted over the years.

Nicole W.

My golden passed when I was a teen and I named him “Chaser” because he literally chased a lady in my neighborhood to pet him. Yes, they are certainly wonderful. I would love to get another. I want to provide a good life, good food and ample land so the dog can frolich around lol
My golden Barker did this too! He loved everyone and everyone loved him. Even our cat loved, who liked no one generally.

We called him Barker not because he barked but because he ate all the bark ground cover in our backyard. He was a little bit of a moron at times. Sometimes I’d catch him eating rocks too. ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Augie looks so sweet! We had a mutt growing up that lived to be 21 & she mostly ate table scraps.

Regina

I had a wholistic veterinarian tell me once that the reason Goldens are so prone to cancer is because the breeders were over-selecting for that “ niceness” trait. Somehow there a connection supposedly. The more pleasing and sweet the dog, the more prone to cancer. She told me at the time that researchers started a trial of 4000 Goldens to test this suspicion that many Golden breeders had noted over the years.
Awww. Their hearts are too soft. :cry: