Attempting instinctive eating

ironfist

Over the last week or so, I haven't had my morning protein shake because I finished my protein and never ordered more.

I noticed I wasn't craving them. I thought I wanted them, but I wasn't craving them. This made me think of a discussion I read a long time ago on instinctive eating. Basically, you eat what you think you need.

The first thing I thought of was, well, everyone is just going to eat cookies/ice cream all day. Don't people crave sugar? This sounds horrible.

So I think I'm going try it for a week and see what happens.

The reason is I think I am not getting enough protein. My diet is mostly clean. I eat protein shakes, fish, beef, and salad. I drink water. Sweet potatoes/rice. A few nights ago, I ran out of salad and I following getting some more, I realized I wasn't craving it. Totally, before I go on, let me explain that I eat a big salad every night and I love it. I'm not one of the people who hates salad and forces myself to eat it. I love it. But I wasn't craving it, and when I got more salad, I thought I had to eat it rather than I wanted to eat it. So I thought maybe I am not now lacking whatever is in salad.

So I'm going to eat instinctively for a week and see what happens. Sometimes I just want to eat a shitload of whatever, and I'm going to. Still going to do what I can to eat healthy, though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Over the last week or so, I haven't had my morning protein shake because I finished my protein and never ordered more.

I noticed I wasn't craving them. I thought I wanted them, but I wasn't craving them. This made me think of a discussion I read a long time ago on instinctive eating. Basically, you eat what you think you need.

The first thing I thought of was, well, everyone is just going to eat cookies/ice cream all day. Don't people crave sugar? This sounds horrible.

So I think I'm going try it for a week and see what happens.

The reason is I think I am not getting enough protein. My diet is mostly clean. I eat protein shakes, fish, beef, and salad. I drink water. Sweet potatoes/rice. A few nights ago, I ran out of salad and I following getting some more, I realized I wasn't craving it. Totally, before I go on, let me explain that I eat a big salad every night and I love it. I'm not one of the people who hates salad and forces myself to eat it. I love it. But I wasn't craving it, and when I got more salad, I thought I had to eat it rather than I wanted to eat it. So I thought maybe I am not now lacking whatever is in salad.

So I'm going to eat instinctively for a week and see what happens. Sometimes I just want to eat a shitload of whatever, and I'm going to. Still going to do what I can to eat healthy, though.
That sounds like a great experiment. I'm excited to hear how it goes!

OP
I

ironfist

Hence far, I haven't really done anything different. It's a hard question, "how should I eat now?" There's some conditioning in what you should eat vs what you want.

I wanted to make popcorn with a lot of butter and salt. But I know from past experiences how eating like this affects my cholesterol. My question becomes how do I know what I want vs what I may be deficient in?

I prepared a big salad last night, the type I love, and I ate it, but I wasn't enjoying it.

I have a theory. I recently made this addition to my diet: I started eating pho. It's DELICIOUS AND I CRAVE IT. I wonder if this is messing with my taste and sense of hunger.

I normally, after I get home I make a bowl of rice ramen. There's no msg or any of that stuff, and it's miso flavored. I have loved this for a long time. I recently swapped it out with pho, and it seems my tastes have changed. I don't even crave the ramen anymore -- I want the pho.

OP
I

ironfist

Alright, a few days ago I bought an entire fried chicken and had the majority of it the next day. I've been craving popcorn with butter and salt, coconut water, and that's really it. I never crave sugar. Seriously, I'm worried about the sugar in some of the stuff when consumed. I checked the soup mentioned and it has no MSG. After the big meal I just described, I ate a huge salad. Huge. An entire bag of salad in a giant bowl. I wasn't really craving it however felt I should eat something healthy after all the meat. To be fair, I took most of the fried part off of the chicken. Moreover, I had a pizza on Saturday, but I wasn't even really coveting pizza, I was just hungry and we had a frozen pizza, so I ate the whole thing. It was cheese, and I put hot sauce on it. Actually, I don't know if I really changed my food a lot in this experiment.