ATP Inhibits Bacterial Growth In The Gut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lately I have been findings studies that are actually anti-Peatarian but contain in themselves arguments that strongly supoprt Peat's views. This study is about bacterial growth in the intestines and the effect of various compounds on the gut flora. It found that ATP directly inhibits intestinal bacterial growth further supporting Peat's recommendations that gut issues such a SIBO can be fixed by improving metabolism (i.e. increasing ATP). That would also explain some of the direct effects of cascara, since the anthraquinones in cascara have a very potent boosting effect on intestinal ATP synthesis, and ATP has laxative and anti-edematous effects.

http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/ear ... 00357.2013

"...We observed that compared to wild-type mice, IAP-knockout mice have more ATP in their luminal contents, and exogenous IAP can reverse the ATP-mediated inhibition of bacterial growth in the isolated intestinal loop. In conclusion, IAP appears to promote the growth of intestinal commensal bacteria by inhibiting the concentration of luminal nucleotide triphosphates."

Finally, for people not tolerant to cascara, direct supplementation with thyroid (T3) or ATP may be helpful. ATP supplements are available online but I have not tried them so I would not vouch for any of them as of now. Fructose is another substance that directly increases rate of intestinal ATP synthesis. Some thyroid surrogates like caffeine, aspirin, magnesium, etc may be helpful as well.

Mittir

I remember RP talked about calcium blocking phosphorolysis in gut.
I wonder if it is the same mechanism mentioned in this study.

jyb

haidut said:
hat would also explain some of the direct effects of cascara, since the anthraquinones in cascara have a very potent boosting effect on intestinal ATP synthesis, and ATP has laxative and anti-edematous effects.

I was curious to know how cascara worked, because I had surprisingly benefited from it (despite not much constipation issues). The main mechanism seems to be reduction in NO production. I don't know if its only local in the gut or elsewhere too in the body, but if its in the gut then it means that somehow:

low thyroid --> slower transit / more bacteria --> more irritation and NO which is poison --> cascara has a noticeable effect.

lexis

haidut said:
post 45973 Lately I have been findings studies that are actually anti-Peatarian but contain in themselves arguments that strongly supoprt Peat's views. This study is about bacterial growth in the intestines and the effect of various compounds on the gut flora. It found that ATP directly inhibits intestinal bacterial growth further supporting Peat's recommendations that gut issues such a SIBO can be fixed by improving metabolism (i.e. increasing ATP). That would also explain some of the direct effects of cascara, since the anthraquinones in cascara have a very potent boosting effect on intestinal ATP synthesis, and ATP has laxative and anti-edematous effects.

"...We observed that compared to wild-type mice, IAP-knockout mice have more ATP in their luminal contents, and exogenous IAP can reverse the ATP-mediated inhibition of bacterial growth in the isolated intestinal loop. In conclusion, IAP appears to promote the growth of intestinal commensal bacteria by inhibiting the concentration of luminal nucleotide triphosphates."

Finally, for people not tolerant to cascara, direct supplementation with thyroid (T3) or ATP may be helpful. ATP supplements are available online but I have not tried them so I would not vouch for any of them as of now. Fructose is another substance that directly increases rate of intestinal ATP synthesis. Some thyroid surrogates like caffeine, aspirin, magnesium, etc may be helpful as well.

Does creatinine increase ATP?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
lexis said:
post 108559
haidut said:
post 45973 Lately I have been findings studies that are actually anti-Peatarian but contain in themselves arguments that strongly supoprt Peat's views. This study is about bacterial growth in the intestines and the effect of various compounds on the gut flora. It found that ATP directly inhibits intestinal bacterial growth further supporting Peat's recommendations that gut issues such a SIBO can be fixed by improving metabolism (i.e. increasing ATP). That would also explain some of the direct effects of cascara, since the anthraquinones in cascara have a very potent boosting effect on intestinal ATP synthesis, and ATP has laxative and anti-edematous effects.

Does creatinine increase ATP?

I think you meant creatine. Creatine acts like a buffer for ATP since creatine is used for conversion into phosphocreatine and that is used as an emergency ATP source. So, in people with compromised energy production creatine can be quite helpful. It is in fact being tested for diseases like ALS and Alzheimer. Also, it is one of the few supplements shown to raise IQ by several points.

paymanz

haidut said:
post 45973 Finally, for people not tolerant to cascara, direct supplementation with thyroid (T3) or ATP may be helpful. ATP supplements are available online but I have not tried them so I would not vouch for any of them as of now. Fructose is another substance that directly increases rate of intestinal ATP synthesis. Some thyroid surrogates like caffeine, aspirin, magnesium, etc may be helpful as well.
isnt that true that mitochondria uncouplers(aspirin , caffeine , t3) reduce ATP production?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
paymanz said:
post 109128
haidut said:
post 45973 Finally, for people not tolerant to cascara, direct supplementation with thyroid (T3) or ATP may be helpful. ATP supplements are available online but I have not tried them so I would not vouch for any of them as of now. Fructose is another substance that directly increases rate of intestinal ATP synthesis. Some thyroid surrogates like caffeine, aspirin, magnesium, etc may be helpful as well.
isnt that true that mitochondria uncouplers(aspirin , caffeine , t3) reduce ATP production?

Yes, and there is definitely an optimal amount of ATP beyond which it becomes detrimental. For instance, ATP is an inhibitor of the enzyme PDH, so high levels of ATP can result in excessive glycolysis and excessive production of lactate. Google it, it's even on Wikipedia.
Vitamin B6 (P5P) is actually an ATP "receptor" antagonist, so going against ATP can be beneficial in some cases:):

TubZy

CoQ10 boosts ATP

Ubiquinol supplementation enhances peak power production in trained athletes: a double-blind, placebo controlled study
Coenzyme Q10 and Statin-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction

"Coenzyme Q10 is an important component of mitochondrial biochemistry, allowing for the production of ATP. HMA Co-A reductase inhibitors or statins inhibit one of the key steps in coenzyme Q10 synthesis. These drugs have been associated with a reduction in serum and muscle tissue coenzyme Q10 levels and may play a role in statin-induced myopathy. Given the low risk of toxicity and the potential benefit in treating statin-induced myopathy, a trial of 200 mg of coenzyme Q10 daily should be considered for these patients."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
CoQ10 boosts ATP

Ubiquinol supplementation enhances peak power production in trained athletes: a double-blind, placebo controlled study
Coenzyme Q10 and Statin-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction

"Coenzyme Q10 is an important component of mitochondrial biochemistry, allowing for the production of ATP. HMA Co-A reductase inhibitors or statins inhibit one of the key steps in coenzyme Q10 synthesis. These drugs have been associated with a reduction in serum and muscle tissue coenzyme Q10 levels and may play a role in statin-induced myopathy. Given the low risk of toxicity and the potential benefit in treating statin-induced myopathy, a trial of 200 mg of coenzyme Q10 daily should be considered for these patients."

Any quinone can usually boost ATP, but ATP levels are almost perfectly correlated with and depend on NAD. So, the most effective and possible safest way to boost ATP would be by taking niacinamide, riboflavin, and maybe even some thiamine to keep PDH running.

ddjd

I was curious to know how cascara worked, because I had surprisingly benefited from it (despite not much constipation issues). The main mechanism seems to be reduction in NO production. I don't know if its only local in the gut or elsewhere too in the body, but if its in the gut then it means that somehow:

low thyroid --> slower transit / more bacteria --> more irritation and NO which is poison --> cascara has a noticeable effect.

cs3000

Lately I have been findings studies that are actually anti-Peatarian but contain in themselves arguments that strongly supoprt Peat's views. This study is about bacterial growth in the intestines and the effect of various compounds on the gut flora. It found that ATP directly inhibits intestinal bacterial growth further supporting Peat's recommendations that gut issues such a SIBO can be fixed by improving metabolism (i.e. increasing ATP). That would also explain some of the direct effects of cascara, since the anthraquinones in cascara have a very potent boosting effect on intestinal ATP synthesis, and ATP has laxative and anti-edematous effects.

nice. Cascara is absorbed in the colon but would it still have impact on clearing small intestinal bacteria? will it increase intestinal ATP in general or just the colon?
-
at first it looks like there's a bioavailability problem with orally taking ATP ,
needs to bypass the stomach & dissolve in the duodenum otherwise quickly metabolised into adenosine Health and ergogenic potential of oral adenosine-5′-triphosphate (ATP) supplementation
but these papers mention actually it gives an indirect ability for greater ATP synthesis after its metabolized regardless of increased ATP not showing up in plasma, just increased uric acid https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/07315724.2016.1246989
"We speculate that though orally administered ATP is rapidly metabolized, it increases the capacity to synthesize ATP in red blood cell pools [20,21] and could potentially prevent drops of ATP levels during times of increased energy expenditure, thereby explaining the previously described performance benefits. In this work, we tested the hypothesis that short-term ATP supplementation prevents drops in postworkout ATP and ATP metabolite levels and changes in power output and mental performance during and following a repeated sprint bout.
Our findings suggest that ATP increased muscular excitability in early bouts and prevented the decline in later bouts."

So while taking ATP orally doesn't increase ATP levels directly , it helps sustain ATP levels at least
some studies do show efficacy regardless of plasma increases for exercise performance Dose Response of Acute ATP Supplementation on Strength Training Performance

Any quinone can usually boost ATP, but ATP levels are almost perfectly correlated with and depend on NAD. So, the most effective and possible safest way to boost ATP would be by taking niacinamide, riboflavin, and maybe even some thiamine to keep PDH running.
& maybe malate too Magnesium Malate "When Energy Fails"

"malate has been suggested to increase the rate of ATP production by mitigating lactate production during states of high flux; and by doing so allowing for continued pyruvate and energy production "

increased swim time performance in mice by 26.1 % and 28.5 %, respectively, in the 0.210 g/kg and 0.630 g/kg groups [~1g - 3g human dose] http://biomed.cas.cz/physiolres/pdf/2007/56_213.pdf 9 (but lowered creatine kinase so good to supplement creatine with it)

in chickens malic acid reduced bacteria in their version of the lower colon in the first week. (but bounced back for some reason). didn't affect their intestinal bacteria tho
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8300160/
After five days of treatment, for the partridge chicken the Campylobacter carriage detected in the cloaca of the control group was 3.53 log10 CFU/g, which was similar to the data before the experiment. However, in the malic acid-treated group, the Campylobacter carriage was significantly decreased to 1.98 log10 CFU/g and a 1.55 log reduction was found when compared to the control group

Last edited:

cs3000

"malate has been suggested to increase the rate of ATP production by mitigating lactate production during states of high flux; and by doing so allowing for continued pyruvate and energy production "

increased swim time performance in mice by 26.1 % and 28.5 %, respectively, in the 0.210 g/kg and 0.630 g/kg groups [~1g - 3g human dose] http://biomed.cas.cz/physiolres/pdf/2007/56_213.pdf 9 (but lowered creatine kinase so good to supplement creatine with it)

correction on that , creatine kinase in this study is just a marker of muscle damage so no need for creatine. its just showing muscles were more resistant to damage in the malate groups

malate.png

reduced lactic acid & increased activity of MDH enzyme

"Malate dehydrogenase (MDH) is one of the key enzymes in the citric acid cycle, facilitating both the conversion of malate to oxaloacetate and replenishing levels of oxalacetate by reductive carboxylation of pyruvate [1]. There are several isoforms of MDH, differing in their subcellular localization and their specificity for the cofactor NAD or NADP [2]. "
https://www.ebi.ac.uk/interpro/entry/InterPro/IPR011274/

"If oxaloacetate is removed from the cycle for glucose synthesis, it must be replaced, since if there is not enough oxaloacetate available to form citrate, the rate of acetyl CoA metabolism, and hence the rate of formation of ATP, will slow down" "The metabolic fate of pyruvate, oxidative decarboxylation to yield acetyl CoA or carboxylation to yield oxaloacetate"

"Carboxylation of pyruvate produces oxaloacetate (OAA). This is an energy-requiring reaction that uses adenosine triphosphate (ATP)."

"Malic Acid: Malic acid, in the form of malate, is an important component of the Kreb’s cycle. In aerobic conditions, malate is converted to oxaloacetate, generating the fourth of four reducing agents produced by the Kreb’s cycle. Once generated, these reducing agents are used in the ETS to generate ATP. Malate is also an integral component of the malate-aspartate shuttle, which shuttles reducing equivalents produced in the cytosol into the mitochondria for use in energy production.

Although there are many steps in the Kreb’s cycle, studies have shown that of all the Kreb’s cycle intermediates, only malic acid seems prone to depletion upon extreme physical exertion. Supplemental malic acid has been shown in research studies to increase the amount of malate in mitochondria, and thus increase the energy production capacity of the cell."

Malic acid acts as a catalyst in the Krebs’ cycle to increase energy production from the burning of pyruvic acid. Malic acid also aids in exercise recovery by counteracting the buildup of lactic acid. Supplementation of malic acid has been reported to be beneficial in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by reducing symptoms of persistent fatigue, muscular myalgia and arthritic-like pains.

Oxaloacetate Treatment For Mental And Physical Fatigue In Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Long-COVID fatigue patients: a non-randomized controlled clinical trial - Journal of Translational Medicine ocaloacetate improved long COVID / ME fatigue (but no placebo group)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals