Athletes - greater need for which nutrients?

ursidae

If you have a high thyroid you can get away with 1000calories one day. I upped my thyroid as I'm almost hyperthyroid now from lowering prolactin, increasing dopamine and taking T3 with cholesterol. My temps are 37.3 during the day and my pulse is 90-100 while being energetic and not stressed. Now i stay warm with less sugar and less calories,i can walk and run without having lactic acid. If I want to have high energy i do ,if i want to be relaxed i can. Everything feels like a post LSD trip.
And now i just can't feel the taste for fast food and starches,i can go away in a day with to Mexican cokes and i feel and sleep fine. When you feel like this about food you have good thyroid not when you need a lot of food and always hungry.
You need to be careful man

GreekDemiGod

I upped my thyroid as I'm almost hyperthyroid now from lowering prolactin, increasing dopamine and taking T3 with cholesterol. My temps are 37.3 during the day and my pulse is 90-100 while being energetic and not stressed. Now i stay warm with less sugar and less calories,i can walk and run without having lactic acid. If I want to have high energy i do ,if i want to be relaxed i can. Everything feels like a post LSD trip.
That's amazing.
On good days, I can briefly reach 37.0 daytime temps, but less on most days. Pulse is in the 70s on average.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I also have this frustratingly. Best methods you’ve found to improve tolerance to milk?
In general, you can try goat milk or goat cheese and start small and then work up. Try lactose free milk perhaps or use a lactase enzyme. Some people also have success with liposomal colostrum.

laleto12

If you have a high thyroid you can get away with 1000calories one day. I upped my thyroid as I'm almost hyperthyroid now from lowering prolactin, increasing dopamine and taking T3 with cholesterol. My temps are 37.3 during the day and my pulse is 90-100 while being energetic and not stressed. Now i stay warm with less sugar and less calories,i can walk and run without having lactic acid. If I want to have high energy i do ,if i want to be relaxed i can. Everything feels like a post LSD trip.
And now i just can't feel the taste for fast food and starches,i can go away in a day with to Mexican cokes and i feel and sleep fine. When you feel like this about food you have good thyroid not when you need a lot of food and always hungry.
How do you supplement thyroid?
whats your routine t3/t4, dosages , timing etc?

reality

All of them

but especially the Bs, magnesium, zinc and all the electrolytes imo

meatbag

Whey or/and Tyrosine
It depends on what your job is too.
whey concentrate
Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a slightly higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is rich in tryptophan.
Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging

reality

Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a slightly higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is rich in tryptophan.
Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging
I never understood this, because Ray recommends milk which obviously has both whey and casein.

and casein still has plenty of tryptophan

meatbag

I never understood this, because Ray recommends milk which obviously has both whey and casein.

RP: About 40 or 50 years ago, the dairies that were producing cheese would give their whey in a liquid state, fresh out of the cheese factory, to hog farmers. And in that fresh state, it was mixed with other foods for hog slop, and it produced very healthy pigs. And as a stimulant to growth, when mixed with a lot of fruits and vegetables and other waste foods, it was very good pig food, compared to the corn and soy beans that pigs are now getting fed. But when it’s sold (because pigs aren’t eating it anymore), they have to dispose of it someway. And the process of dehydrating it, turning it into a powder (since milk products are very high in the fragile amino acids, including tryptophan and cysteine) - the process of dehydrating it increases the oxidation of the protein, and not only lowers the protein value but increases its toxicity and allergenicity. So I don’t recommend any dehydrated food except in emergency, where they’re convenient for transportation and storage. But as a regular thing, dehydrated anything is a potential risk.

JR: In your article, you talked about albumin, in regards to whey protein.

RP: The casein that you get in the cheese (and you throw away largely the albumin fraction), the casein protein turns out to be anti-inflammatory and anti-stress, helps hold down the cortisol production. And you get the opposite effect from the whey fraction. So it has many direct nutritional problems – probably the worst one is that most of the calcium stays with the cheese. And so you have a protein which is easily degraded and lacks the anti-stress factors, and is deficient in calcium. One of the reasons a lot of people give, if they have overcomen the idea that milk forms mucus, or is a risk for various diseases, and so on, one of their arguments is that it makes them fat. But all the research on animals, and as far as it goes, the human research, shows that milk is probably the best reducing food there is. Mechanisms for that are now known – not only the anti-stress effect of the casein and the good balance of the saturated fats and so on - but the calcium alone is a very important metabolic regulator. It happens to inhibit the fat-forming enzymes – fatty acid synthase - and incidentally, that’s a characteristic enzyme that goes wild in cancer. But calcium and milk inhibit that fatty acid synthase, reducing the formation of fats, and at the same time it activates the uncoupling proteins in the mitochondria, which are associated with increased longevity. Because by increasing the metabolic rate, the uncoupling proteins burn calories faster, but they protect against free radical oxidation. They pull the fuel through the oxidation process so fast in effect, that none of it goes astray in random oxidation. Whereas if you inhibit your energy producing enzymes, you tend to get random stray oxidations that damage mitochondria. So the uncoupling proteins burn calories faster at the same time that you’re reducing fat synthesis. And milk is, as far as I know, the only food that does both of those things simultaneously.
Milk, Calcium And Hormones, East West Healing, 2011
-
Some amino acids directly stimulate insulin secretion, decreasing blood sugar and leading to the secretion of cortisol in reaction to the depression of blood glucose. The presence of lactose in milk, and of fat, to slow absorption of the amino acids, helps to minimize the secretion of cortisol. The main protein of milk, casein, seems to have some direct antistress effects (Biswas, et al., 2003).

Since milk's primary biological function is to support the growth of a young animal, some of its features make it inappropriate as a sole food for an adult. To support cell division and growth, the methionine and tryptophan content of milk is higher than would be optimal for an adult animal, and the phosphate might be slightly more than needed, in relation to the calcium. Since the fetus stores a large amount of iron during gestation, the iron content of milk is low, and when a young animal has used the stored iron, its continuing growth requires more iron than milk provides. However, for an adult, the low iron content of milk and cheese makes these foods useful for preventing the iron overload that often contributes to the degenerative diseases.
Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths
------------------------------------------------------------
I think he's highlighted that milk isn't literally perfect but it's attributes make it one of the best protein sources available and he's recommended that people consume gelatin as one of their protein sources because it is low in amino acids methionine and tryptophan​

OccamzRazer

For just all nutrients? Specific nutrients that they have to look at more than on others?
I used to be a pro athlete a long time ago, here's what worked for me:

Whey protein
Colostrum
MCT oil
Orange juice

^ I used to blend these 4 things in a shake. Felt very anabolic.

Also:

Cordyceps
Electrolytes
B12
Liver
Caffeine

And don't forget the carbs!!

Incidentally most of the stuff I stumbled on turned out to be pretty Peaty lol.

youngsinatra

I would check out The Vertical Diet by Stan Efferding. I think it is a good basic diet for athletes. The only thing I‘d say is to avoid some PUFA items.

OP
M

Motif

Super exhausted since I started skating again.
I really wonder why exactly. If it’s a nutrient loss thing through sweat or some kind of overtraining

Sapien

I don't either; I was surprised ray peat would drink a lot of milk with his statements on tryptophan, methionine and cystine

and yes after looking at the amino acid profiles of casein and whey casein is not any better than whey in this regard, or even muscle meat for that matter

I just made a post about this the other fay