Athletes - greater need for which nutrients?

Motif

For just all nutrients? Specific nutrients that they have to look at more than on others?

youngsinatra

Due to excretion of minerals via sweat you lose significant amounts of sodium, iodine, selenium and copper. You also lose calcium, magnesium, potassium, chromium, but in less significant amounts.

Depending on whether you think that EFAs are essential or not, bodybuilders or athletes may require more EFAs due to micro-injured muscle tissue, which requires arachidonic acid, EPA and DHA for prostaglandin and resolvants.

Hans

For just all nutrients? Specific nutrients that they have to look at more than on others?
It depends on what sport you do. If you sweat a lot, then you just need more minerals in general, not just electrolytes. If you lift weights, eating nutrient-dense foods, such as milk, oysters, eggs, organ meat, etc,. will take care of all the micro requirements.
There's not really many specific special micro, but just focus on a nutrient-dense diet in general.

Motif

Lifting weights!
Thanks!

Zinc reduced my dermatitis a lot now, but my seborrhiuc eczema in the face doesn’t change from it. Any idea what this could be caused by? @Hans

Hans

Lifting weights!
Thanks!

Zinc reduced my dermatitis a lot now, but my seborrhiuc eczema in the face doesn’t change from it. Any idea what this could be caused by? @Hans
What foods are in your diet? Some of them might cause it. Milk is a common cause for skin issues on the face.

James b

What foods are in your diet? Some of them might cause it. Milk is a common cause for skin issues on the face.
I also have this frustratingly. Best methods you’ve found to improve tolerance to milk?

Motif

I tried all kinds of diets and I get this from almost anything unfortunately.
I was doing heavy elimination diets.
really almost everything caused it.

I’ll get new bloodwork tomorrow.

zinc copper ceruloplasmin usually low.
I got vitamin a done too and potassium

Last edited:

gaze

macro nutrients are more important than micros. they need a lot of calories

youngsinatra

macro nutrients are more important than micros. they need a lot of calories

Agree especially glucose. I find it hard to refill muscle glycogen with fructose alone.
White rice or well-cooked potatoes are great and probably also the reason why bodybuilders used it for decades.

And of course eating more animal protein to stimulate MPS. (20-40g per meal)

Hans

Agree especially glucose. I find it hard to refill muscle glycogen with fructose alone
Interested to know how you tried to replenish glycogen stores...with fruit or a pure fructose supplement?
If it's not a supplement, then you're almost always getting a glucose fructose ratio of 1:1 which is actually better at replenishing glycogen stores. Sugar can speed up the metabolic rate of some people so they simply need to consume more of it.
I've been doing zero starch for many months now and never feel low glycogen. My hypertrophy and strength gains are also very good and I don't feel like it suffered at all since removing starches. Additionally, I feel more energized and lighter without starches.
A lot of my clients can attest to this as well.

gaze

Interested to know how you tried to replenish glycogen stores...with fruit or a pure fructose supplement?
If it's not a supplement, then you're almost always getting a glucose fructose ratio of 1:1 which is actually better at replenishing glycogen stores. Sugar can speed up the metabolic rate of some people so they simply need to consume more of it.
I've been doing zero starch for many months now and never feel low glycogen. My hypertrophy and strength gains are also very good and I don't feel like it suffered at all since removing starches. Additionally, I feel more energized and lighter without starches.
A lot of my clients can attest to this as well.
i feel like the insulin from starch is unique with relation to muscle glycogen, at least for low thyroid people. do you supplement thyroid ?

Hans

i feel like the insulin from starch is unique with relation to muscle glycogen, at least for low thyroid people. do you supplement thyroid ?
I don't use thyroid. Do you feel the same from dried or fresh fruit or fruit juice?

Razvan

If you have a high thyroid you can get away with 1000calories one day. I upped my thyroid as I'm almost hyperthyroid now from lowering prolactin, increasing dopamine and taking T3 with cholesterol. My temps are 37.3 during the day and my pulse is 90-100 while being energetic and not stressed. Now i stay warm with less sugar and less calories,i can walk and run without having lactic acid. If I want to have high energy i do ,if i want to be relaxed i can. Everything feels like a post LSD trip.
And now i just can't feel the taste for fast food and starches,i can go away in a day with to Mexican cokes and i feel and sleep fine. When you feel like this about food you have good thyroid not when you need a lot of food and always hungry.

youngsinatra

If you have a high thyroid you can get away with 1000calories one day. I upped my thyroid as I'm almost hyperthyroid now from lowering prolactin, increasing dopamine and taking T3 with cholesterol. My temps are 37.3 during the day and my pulse is 90-100 while being energetic and not stressed. Now i stay warm with less sugar and less calories,i can walk and run without having lactic acid. If I want to have high energy i do ,if i want to be relaxed i can. Everything feels like a post LSD trip.
And now i just can't feel the taste for fast food and starches,i can go away in a day with to Mexican cokes and i feel and sleep fine. When you feel like this about food you have good thyroid not when you need a lot of food and always hungry.

sounds like you reached peatarians nirvana brother! happy for you *_*