Ate Some Sourdough Bread = Brain Fog So Bad I Fell Asleep

johnwester130

I have never reacted so badly to a food in all my life.

I could not concentrate longer than 10 seconds, could hardly think. I felt like I was poisoned.

Emotionally I felt dead, like I was nothing.

There is absolutely a connection between bacteria, lactic acid in the gut and the brain,

I definitely have SIBO and all kinds of bacteria growth in my stomach. I am thinking of using Camphosal by haidut to kill off everything in my gut.

I found this interesting.

"...Probiotic use can result in a significant accumulation of bacteria in the small intestine that can result in disorienting brain fogginess as well as rapid, significant belly bloating, investigators report. In a published study of 38 patients, the 30 who reported problems like confusion and difficulty concentrating, in addition to their gas and bloating, were all taking probiotics, some several varieties. When investigators looked further, they found large colonies of bacteria breeding in the patients’ small intestines, and high levels of D-lactic acid being produced by the bacteria lactobacillus’ fermentation of sugars in their food, says Dr. Satish S.C. Rao, director of neurogastroenterology/motility and the Digestive Health Clinical Research Center at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University. D-lactic acid is known to be temporarily toxic to brain cells, interfering with cognition, thinking and sense of time. They found some patients had two to three times the normal amount of D-lactic acid in their blood. Some said their brain fogginess – which lasted from a half hour to many hours after eating – was so severe that they had to quit their jobs."

Peater Piper

Good sourdough shouldn't contribute to bacteria in the small intestine since it's been sterilized through baking and the allergenic proteins should have been broken down during the fermentation process, allowing for easy digestion. Do you have trouble with other foods containing lactic acid? I'd also look to see what additives are in the bread.

Runenight201

Had you eaten a lot of starch or meat before this event? If your digestion is compromised any starch will be very hard to digest. I wouldn’t blame the sourdough but more so improper meal timing. Any starch without fat as well is a recipe for trouble in my book.

While you could go through all sorts of various maneuvers to “clean the gut”, a short fast of only very ripe fruits and water should have your body dying for some starch by the end of it. This is when the starch theoretically should be most readily absorbed, and you could try experimenting with all sorts of different recipes, such as egg fried rice, mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, tomato spaghetti, etc... until you find one that seems to work the best.

akgrrrl

"also look to see what additives are in the bread" ...from previous post of Peater Piper

Firstly, American wheat has been purposely genetically modified for decades, and that is not just for bigger seedhead for yields, or drought resistance, or insect resistant. When ripened wheat is defoliated by planes spraying Monsanto chemicals, (to save millions without machinery cutting, fuel, maintenance, man hours-insurance- taxes) it lays in the field. The dew provides moisture for mold and mildew to grow profusely.(remember when wheat was stacked in bundles to dry in the sun to enhance milling?) Bleach or other solvent to clean the mold, results in gloppy mess not fit for human consumption, thus the FDA requires "enriched" wheat...another list of ingredients to source...
Wonder why America is fat and puffy? Why so many claim gluten intolerance which we never heard pre 1970s, and why America pre 1970s was normal weight? Why endotoxin prevails?
2 answers. Toxic wheat, and toxic processed grain oils.
You dont need a study to know what is common knowledge, apparent by comparison, observation, and history.

Regina

I won't claim that this sourdough pasta is healthy, but I feel fine after having it.

There are just some dishes I love. Linguine alla vongole, homemade meatballs, pasta con colatura, etc....., when I'm gonna eat some pasta.

akgrrrl

Ooh they all sound fab! Probably some good semolina from Italy, eh? Appreciated the pic.

Regina

Ooh they all sound fab! Probably some good semolina from Italy, eh? Appreciated the pic.
The spaghetti is extra long and has so much chew and depth and twirl. I had some coupon code to buy 3 packages.
I'm not even through one of the packages because you don't need much to make a shrimp scampi or clam pasta rewarding.

Unless I'm having Pho, it's no fun to substitute pasta with limp tasteless "pasta" that falls apart and can't even twirl....

ALS

Wonder why America is fat and puffy? Why so many claim gluten intolerance which we never heard pre 1970s, and why America pre 1970s was normal weight?
Could also be radiation. All that desert test fallout from the 40's-50's blew eastward.

akgrrrl

Could also be radiation. All that desert test fallout from the 40's-50's blew eastward.
Maybe eastward that is an influence. I have a unique opinion/perspective today, of having traveled 8,000miles in the western states just before covid in 2019. (Washington, Oregon, Cali, Nevada, Arizona, NewMex, Montana). What I saw everywhere:
Young puffy faces, watermelon bellies, stiff moving, obese bodies struggling to walk in the grocery store...carts brimming with cereal boxes, mac and cheese, rice a roni, bread and more bread, muffins, chips, crackers, and frozen pizza, pizza pockets, oreo cookies, soda and gallons of orange drink. Old people still buying margarine, blue dyed "sports" drinks, pop tarts and Tang.
Doesnt anybody know what time it is?

akgrrrl

We've had Chernobyl since then. And Fukushima.
Eastward USA as the prev poster indicated from 1940s, 50s, but yes the West coast is reporting increased cancer rates for a few years inconclusive of cause. We had hoped Fukashima would be slow to affect deep/cold water fisheries here, but the seasonal subsistance dipnetting of 4yrs ago offered examples of salmon with festering skin burns and others with mushy bodies instead of firm red flesh. We mused at the time that soon we would be packing geiger counters with our fishing gear...

ALS

Eastward USA as the prev poster indicated from 1940s, 50s, but yes the West coast is reporting increased cancer rates for a few years inconclusive of cause. We had hoped Fukashima would be slow to affect deep/cold water fisheries here, but the seasonal subsistance dipnetting of 4yrs ago offered examples of salmon with festering skin burns and others with mushy bodies instead of firm red flesh. We mused at the time that soon we would be packing geiger counters with our fishing gear...
Did that happen with other types of cold water fish as well (cod, halibut, etc.)?

akgrrrl

Did that happen with other types of cold water fish as well (cod, halibut, etc.)?
I would have to ask the folks at Fish and Game if they had data on that. I saw the salmon with my own eyes and in my hands when it came time to clean them. Dipnetting is wild and strenuous, waistdeep in salt/glacial river confluence. Untangle a slimy flopping 15lbs of fish on a kamikaze mission, its all you can do to get it in a cooler and drag that up the beach to vehicle. Tossed the mushy or blistered ones to the eagles and terns and didnt know what it was until comments on a local talk radio show.