At Rest What Percentage Of Our Energy We Use Come From Fat?

Such_Umami

Assuming a liver full of glycogen. How much fat are we burning when we've digested the sugars from our last meal?

Hans

Forum Supporter
The RQ, which indicates the ratio of carb and fats we're burning, rarely goes up to 1 after a carb meal. And even if it did, it would only stay there for about 30 minutes before dropping back off. Depending on the amount of carbs eaten and the total percentage of carbs in the diet, we should be burning mostly fat after about 3 hours after a carb meal.

lampofred

The RQ, which indicates the ratio of carb and fats we're burning, rarely goes up to 1 after a carb meal. And even if it did, it would only stay there for about 30 minutes before dropping back off. Depending on the amount of carbs eaten and the total percentage of carbs in the diet, we should be burning mostly fat after about 3 hours after a carb meal.

What? I thought Dr. Peat said primarily burning fat for energy is not normal and is actually a sign of stress.

redsun

What? I thought Dr. Peat said primarily burning fat for energy is not normal and is actually a sign of stress.

Having glycogen available to fuel muscles, blood cells, and the brain(may some other things too I can't recall) is how its supposed to work. Some cells use glucose while others preferentially burn fat. The muscles burn fat at rest and the heart also burns fat at rest preferentially. You cannot get away from burning fat constantly for certain organs man, we were designed that way. Completely natural.