Astigmatism

dfspcc20

I mentioned before about my daughter and strabismus:
Strabismus

We took her to a different OD, who gave a completely different diagnosis- lazy eye caused by astigmatism.
(I hope this highlights to importance of not taking any "expert's" diagnosis too seriously, especially when surgery might be involved)

Anyway they're trying some Vision Therapy-type stuff to see if that addresses it.

From the Peat perspective, has anything been mentioned of astigmatism? I did a search and some stuff about riboflavin came up, but not sure what to make of that in my daughter's context.

Beastmode

Strabismus

We took her to a different OD, who gave a completely different diagnosis- lazy eye caused by astigmatism.
(I hope this highlights to importance of not taking any "expert's" diagnosis too seriously, especially when surgery might be involved)

Anyway they're trying some Vision Therapy-type stuff to see if that addresses it.

From the Peat perspective, has anything been mentioned of astigmatism? I did a search and some stuff about riboflavin came up, but not sure what to make of that in my daughter's context.

GorillaHead

I want to add I truly believe astigmatism is caused eye muscles specifically the ciliary. My left eye has bad astigmatism and what’s also interesting is the eye lid in that eye also seems to be weaker.

I tested the strength of my eyes by moving them and putting my finger above the eye on the eyelid while moving them and I discovered the one with a very bad astigmatism had very weak and non explosive response.

so if I am correct and I believe there is anecdotes to back this up then the solution is somehow strengthening the muscle

Apple

Strabismus

I want to add I truly believe astigmatism is caused eye muscles specifically the ciliary. My left eye has bad astigmatism and what’s also interesting is the eye lid in that eye also seems to be weaker.

I tested the strength of my eyes by moving them and putting my finger above the eye on the eyelid while moving them and I discovered the one with a very bad astigmatism had very weak and non explosive response.

so if I am correct and I believe there is anecdotes to back this up then the solution is somehow strengthening the muscle
my eye doctor also told me - astigmatism.
I noticed when I provoke tears my eyes accomodate faster and I get crystal clear vision... but it doesn't happen from eyedrops
I still suspect astigmatism can be related to dry eyes.
Strengthening muscle is not enough...I do some eye exercises but not regularly (like looking far ... close, blinking and others ) . Staying at the computer for long time cancels all the positive effect from exercises.

I guess the only way to emprove vision is to quit job and move to mountains :), away from computers and smartphones
I also suspect coffee is no good for eyes . Just anecdotal evidence , I know some people with very thick eyeglasses who are also avid coffee drinkers.

Last edited:
K

Kayaker

I thought astigmatism was from lengthened eyeballs from darkness. My vision got worse after I was really sick for a few months and couldn't tolerate light, and I was said to have mild astigmatism the appointment after. My near vision is good, but far vision got worse.

Apple

I thought astigmatism was from lengthened eyeballs from darkness. My vision got worse after I was really sick for a few months and couldn't tolerate light, and I was said to have mild astigmatism the appointment after. My near vision is good, but far vision got worse.
I'm wondering if progestrone can help...Acording to Ray Peat it shrinks many things and brings it to normal state.

GorillaHead

Ive read that it was also not weak muscles rather tense muscle and blinking was the best thing for your eyes.

I am gonna run an experiment where i look into red light for 5 mins a day and blink a lot. And see if my left eye improves or not

K

Kayaker

I'm wondering if progestrone can help...Acording to Ray Peat it shrinks many things and brings it to normal state.
Getting vitamin E in your eye is a bad idea. It's pretty unpleasant.

Apple

Getting vitamin E in your eye is a bad idea. It's pretty unpleasant.
I mean oral progesterone. Dropping fatty substances into eyes is bad idea.
I also do cold compresses (on closed eyes) ... it's pretty refreshing
Ive read that it was also not weak muscles rather tense muscle and blinking was the best thing for your eyes.

I am gonna run an experiment where i look into red light for 5 mins a day and blink a lot. And see if my left eye improves or not
Totally agree about blinking .
Looking forward to your update on this experiment... :)

Apple

Any luck with the experiment ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals