Asthma Can Be Caused By Endotoxin (LPS). From Air Filters

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not a clickbait title but the actual (and fascinating) findings of several studies. I think the biggest find here is that endotoxin (LPS) can directly cause asthma and exacerbate already existing asthma. To my knowledge, while mainstream medicine does admit that asthma is an inflammatory condition, it continues to insist that the direct cause is unknown. Nothing surprising here, according to mainstream medicine most chronic conditions are of "unknown" origin and if any cause is ever discussed it is usually genetic. Be that as it may, the other interesting finding is that air purifiers are capable of disrupting/rupturing the wall of bacteria present in air and as such release their endotoxin (LPS), which then starts to accumulate in the filters of the air purifiers. So, the longer an air purifier has been in use the bigger the endotoxin (LPS) load in its filter and the more of that endotoxin gets discharged into the ambient air. Apparently, the amount of endotoxin those air purifiers release is enough to cause/exacerbate asthma. While the article does not mention it, in general most modern air conditioning systems have air filters with fine-enough mesh to cause endotoxin release from aerial bacteria (e.g. HEPA filters) and then accumulate it. So, the epidemic of asthma we have been seeing over the last 20-30 years may very well be due to the proliferation of air conditioning units and other air purification devices in virtually every office/home building . If that was not already bad enough, the article below cites evidence that endotoxin is also present in "sterile" water solutions used for injections in hospitals. If the amount of endotoxin in those water solutions is as high as the one in air capable of causing/exacerbating asthma, I would not be surprised if a significant percentage of people who deteriorate (and/or die) after hospital admission do so as a result of getting a treatment with endotoxin-contaminated solution(s). Oh, and of course, if would not be a true Haidut post if I did not mention that estrogen is also causally involved in asthma while androgens and progesterone are protective, and estrogen and endotoxin promote each others' release/effects.

Error - Cookies Turned Off
Association of Protein and Endotoxin in Outdoor Air with Emergency Department Visits for Children and Adults with Asthma in Fukuoka, Japan
Indoor air filtration could lead to increased airborne endotoxin levels - ScienceDirect
Are air purifiers contributing to asthma?

"...Chinese researchers have undertaken an assessment of stand-alone portable air purifiers. These types of devices are being used on a wider basis to address dust inside homes and especially in areas where outdoor pollution levels are high. While there are different views about the effectivness of such devices, the use of fixed or portable units has become a popular means of controlling individual inhalation exposure. Many such devices use high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) fiters. However, there are concerns in general about exposure to bacterial endotoxins and the role these cellular fragments play in relation to respiratory inhalation health (triggering conditions such as asthma, especially as endotoxin exacerbates asthma). For example, a Japanese study published in 2020 found that endotoxin in outdoor air is significantly associated with an increased risk of asthma exacerbation in children. Of concern to the researchers from Beihang University, Beijing, is the impact of indoor air purifiers. The researchers looked at changes in endotoxin levels in indoor air before and after purification by a portable air purifying devices. The results showed an increase in endotoxins after a previously used air purifier was turned on in order to clean indoor air. This led the researchers to conlude that the use of air purifier devices could lead to increased endotoxin deposition in airways when used in the home. The particular physioogical area of concern was the alveolar region. In terms of why this should be the case, the scientists demonstrated that endotoxin concentrations on the HEPA filters were strongly correlated with the free DNA concentrations on the HEPA filters. This correlation indicates that bacteria disrupted by the HEPA filter (which is designed to capture bacteria and pollutants like pollen) led to the release of free bacterial DNA and endotoxins. Hence, HEPA filters are a source of indoor airborne endotoxins and could have an association with different respiratory diseases. The research has been published in the journal Environment International. The research paper is titled "Indoor air filtration could lead to increased airborne endotoxin levels."

schultz

Interesting. I knew about air humidifiers releasing endotoxin into the air, but wasn't aware that air purifiers (so-called, I suppose) could do the same thing, albeit in a different way.

It looks like a negative ion generator might be the way to go if one wants to "purify" the air in their home.

LeeLemonoil

Don’t know about the Ion-generators. Wouldn’t they disrupt airborne bacteria to create LPS?

Anyway, with Covid everybody and his dog is installing air-purifiers in offices now when not already in place

Tarmander

Just on face value, this is hard to believe, although maybe it is true.

Having done extensive research into air filters, people's experiences with them are generally positive and some people get a new lease on life using them.

Could this be a case where the good outweighs the bad? There are LOTS, and I mean LOTS of mold sufferers and other disease states who get relief from air purifiers.

LeeLemonoil

Hopefully. I’m also a proponent of diffusing essential oils into air to combat pathogens. Would come with a similar health risk of LPS as purifiers

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Having done extensive research into air filters, people's experiences with them are generally positive and some people get a new lease on life using them.

Could this be a case where the good outweighs the bad? There are LOTS, and I mean LOTS of mold sufferers and other disease states who get relief from air purifiers.

All good points. I posted the study more as a warning that endotoxin is all around us and it does not take much to cause "mysterious" issues that baffle doctors. And now, with the newly installed COVID-optimized air filters, this issue becomes VERY relevant even if the previous filtration systems were not fine-grained enough to disintegrate the bacteria and leak its endotoxin. The new filters will be able to disintegrate even viral particles, which are much smaller than bacteria.

Recoen

Many are doing mold remediation, sounds like they should be looking into endotoxin.

schultz

Don’t know about the Ion-generators. Wouldn’t they disrupt airborne bacteria to create LPS?

I'm not sure, but Ray seems to like them. That, at least, makes me curious about them.

Hopefully. I didn't read the study myself, but I wonder what size air filter could block endotoxin? Less than 1 micron? Paper filter, or is there such a thing as a charcoal filter for an air purifier? (I don't know if that's a stupid question as I don't know anything about air purifiers)

Mauritio

Can you recommend a good air filter for mold problems ?

Tarmander

Can you recommend a good air filter for mold problems ?
depends on your budget but IQ Air and Air Oasis are very popular in the mold scene. Air Doctor and Austin Air are also mentioned.

Sometimes just getting cheaper HEPA filters works too. I bought 3 ~$100 filters and run them in different rooms and I notice a difference in breathing ability

Mauritio

depends on your budget but IQ Air and Air Oasis are very popular in the mold scene. Air Doctor and Austin Air are also mentioned.

Sometimes just getting cheaper HEPA filters works too. I bought 3 ~$100 filters and run them in different rooms and I notice a difference in breathing ability
Thanks ,ill check those out .

southcesar

would the best alternative then be air sterilizers (which the air passes through a hot ceramic plate and kills fungus, bacteria etc)?

rayban

Im on a bedroom with poor ventilation, the window leads to a laundry so I have an HEPA air purifier next to me and now im not sure what to do. If this is an issue then how come everyone uses HEPA filters as a safe way to filter stuff?

rayban

What do I do with my air purifier? put it into the trash? I need the purifier in this bedroom. Can't I just run it at lowest speed? geez

Texon

Also Alen based in Austin TX

DNM

Anyway, with Covid everybody and his dog is installing air-purifiers in offices now when not already in place
Don't know. But some of them work by statically charging the particulate in the air, causing it to clump together and precipitate down to the floor. Careful vacuuming or sweeping can then remove them from the environment.

Net negative ions in the air is also a plus.

GorillaHead

Been on doxy for almost a week. My asthma finally stopped. Thats literally the only new thing i have done. Is asthma bacteria induced then.