Astaxanthin Is More Potent Than Saw Palmeto In Reducing 5AR?

MitchMitchell

Would make sense. It’s a potent antioxidant after all. I can see 5ar going up as a solution to excess oxidation.

Ras

I'm always leery of studies like this. How likely is it that taking the supplement by mouth on an intermittent basis will produce the same or even close to the same results as incubating those particular cells in a test tube with a high amount of that supplement for hours or days?

Let's say you took astaxanthin, and let's say that the amount you took orally achieved the same concentration as was used in the referenced study. How long is that high concentration going to be saturating and affecting those cells?

Took it Years ago, can't remember, think it gave my skin and eyesight improvement. Years ago it was very, very expensive, one of the reasons I stopped.
Lycopene probably has similar effects at a much lower cost :):

If you Google Reddit astaxanthin the picture seems 'mixed'.

Last edited:
@Max.

As a PFS sufferer. Cognitive decline and nut pain after taking it. Dropped it very soon. I'm very sensitive to excess antioxidants and 5-AR inhibitors especially however.

I took astaxanthin years ago and it caused really bad depression. I can notice a difference in my mood after only a single dose. I wonder if 5AR inhibition is to blame?

I take krill oil now as a supplement (which contains astaxanthin) but I don't get any negative side effects.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I took astaxanthin years ago and it caused really bad depression. I can notice a difference in my mood after only a single dose. I wonder if 5AR inhibition is to blame?

I take krill oil now as a supplement (which contains astaxanthin) but I don't get any negative side effects.

This may be the reason:

The antidepressant-like effect of trans-astaxanthin involves the serotonergic system

Perry Staltic

Comparison of quenching activities of various antioxidants against singlet oxygen (pdf). Astaxanthin and the carotenes are pretty high.