Associations Between Coffee Consumption And Inflammatory Markers In Healthy Persons

Associations between coffee consumption and inflammatory markers in healthy persons: the ATTICA study | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic

Background:
The effect of coffee consumption on the cardiovascular system is conflicting. Inflammation is important to the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD), and several dietary factors are thought to exert significant effects on inflammation and thus on the risk of CVD.

Objective: We aimed to investigate the associations between coffee consumption and inflammatory markers.
Results: Compared with coffee nondrinkers, men who consumed >200 mL coffee/d had 50% higher interleukin 6 (IL-6), 30% higher C-reactive protein (CRP), 12% higher serum amyloid-A (SAA), and 28% higher tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α) concentrations and 3% higher white blood cell (WBC) counts (all: P < 0.05). Women who consumed >200 mL coffee/d had 54% higher IL-6, 38% higher CRP, 28% higher SAA, and 28% higher TNF-α concentrations and 4% higher WBC counts (all: P < 0.05) than did coffee nondrinkers. The findings were significant even after control for the interactions between coffee consumption and age, sex, smoking, body mass index, physical activity status, and other covariates.

Conclusions: A relation exists between moderate-to-high coffee consumption and increased inflammation process. This relation could explain, in part, the effect of increased coffee intake on the cardiovascular system.

edit: added link

Last edited:

Wagner83

We'd need to know how much and these people eat, it's possible that a lot of people use it for the stress energy it gives them.

OP
General Orange
We'd need to know how much and these people eat, it's possible that a lot of people use it for the stress energy it gives them.

"Consumption of non-refined cereals and products, vegetables, legumes, fruit, olive oil, dairy products, fish, nuts, potatoes, eggs, sweets, poultry, red meat and meat products, coffee, and alcohol was measured as an average per week during the past year. Frequency of consumption was quantified in terms of the number of times a month a food was consumed."

OP
General Orange
The influence of chronic IL-6 exposure, in vivo, on rat Achilles tendon extracellular matrix.
The influence of chronic IL-6 exposure, in vivo, on rat Achilles tendon extracellular matrix. - PubMed - NCBI

I need someone to interpret this study, because I am looking for a relationship between chronic il-6 exposure and inhibited tendon healing.
Which could means that chronic caffeine use is contributing to inhibited tendon healing.

I am recovering from tendon injury (with chronic inflammation for over 4 years) and every time I drink a cup of coffee including decaf the pain increased. So I quit coffee and caffeine for 6 weeks and the issue was gone.

Last edited: