Association of Ultraprocessed Food Consumption With Risk of Dementia

David PS

As a general rule, I avoid ultra-processed foods (UPF). I thought the main issue was the lack of micronutrients. How little did I know.

Abstract​

Background There has been a growing body of evidence associating consumption of ultra-processed foods (UPF) with adverse health outcomes including depression, cardiovascular disease, all-cause mortality. However, whether UPF are associated with dementia is unknown. The authors investigated the associations between UPF and dementia incidence in UK biobank.
Methods We included 72,083 participants (55 years or older) who were free from dementia at baseline and provided at least two times 24-h dietary assessments from the UK Biobank study. Follow-up occurred through March 2021. UPF were defined according to the NOVA classification. Incident all-cause dementia comprising Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia was ascertained through electronic linkages to hospital and mortality records. Cox proportional hazards were used to estimate the association between the proportion (%) of UPF in the diet and the subsequent risk of dementia. In addition, substitution analysis was used to estimate the risk of dementia when substituting UPF with an equivalent proportion of unprocessed or minimally processed foods.
Results During a total of 717,333 person-years of follow-up (median 10.0 years), 518 participants developed dementia, of which 287 developed Alzheimer’s disease and 119 developed vascular dementia. In the fully adjusted model, consumption of UPF was associated with higher risk of dementia (hazard ratio (HR) for 10% increase in UPF: 1.25; 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.14, 1.37), Alzheimer’s disease (HR: 1.14; 95% CI: 1.00, 1.30) and vascular dementia (HR: 1.28; 95% CI: 1.06, 1.55), respectively. In addition, replacing 10% of UPF weight in diet with an equivalent proportion of unprocessed or minimally processed foods was estimated to be associated with a 19% lower risk of dementia (HR: 0.81; 95% CI: 0.74, 0.89).
Conclusions In this prospective cohort study, higher consumption of UPF was associated with higher risk of dementia, while substituting unprocessed or minimally processed foods for UPF was associated lower risk of dementia.

1660478695567.png
source

Last edited:

animalcule

Ice cream: despite being a favorite of peat-ers, I feel like this falls into the category of ultra processed, no? Pasteurized, homogenized milk/cream and processed sugar.

Perry Staltic

Ice cream: despite being a favorite of peat-ers, I feel like this falls into the category of ultra processed, no? Pasteurized, homogenized milk/cream and processed sugar.

Also, virtually all store-bought ice cream has propylene glycol added

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Yes but it all a matter of degree of processing. If you can make it (ice cream) at home it does not seem to be too unhealthy. Perhaps it is just as unhealthy/ultraprocessed as you wish to be.

I agree with you and I do not eat ice cream.

OP
David PS

David PS

I have been thinking about ultraprocessed foods after seeing some of the images in the Observations from using a continuous glucose monitor thread. Dementia is an Umbrella term and it includes Alzheimers which is considered by some as being type III diabetes.
1660492589929.png

Lollipop2

Also, virtually all store-bought ice cream has propylene glycol added
Not true in health stores, maybe regular grocery stores. I can buy Jeni’s ice cream without any propylene glycol. In fact ice cream free of all additives has been discussed many times on the forum. Depending on where you live there are different brands: Three Twins, Strauss, Jeni’s, Moloka, etc.

OP
David PS

David PS

Here is another study published in 2022 based on US research.

Methods​

This cross-sectional study assessed 3632 participants aged 60+ years from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2011–14. Cognitive performance was assessed using the Consortium to Establish a Registry for Alzheimer’s Disease (CERAD), Word Learning test, Animal Fluency test, and the Digit Symbol Substitution test (DSST). Dietary intake was assessed using two 24-h diet recalls. Food items were classified according to the NOVA system, a classification based on the nature, extent, and purpose of industrial food processing. Linear regression models were used to evaluate the association of dietary share of UPF (% of daily energy intake) (categorized as tertiles) and cognitive test scores, adjusting for socio-demographic variables, physical activity, smoking status, and chronic diseases (cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and depression). Models excluding participants with pre-existing diseases were carried out to address potential reverse causality.

Results​

On average, UPF accounted for 53% of total energy intake, ranging from 33 to 70% across extreme tertiles. Inverted U-shape association between UPF consumption and Animal fluency and DSST was observed. No significant associations were observed between the UPF intake tertiles and the cognitive test results. Nonetheless, UPF consumption was significantly associated with worse performance in Animal Fluency in older adults without pre-existing diseases (P < 0.05).

Conclusion​

UPF consumption was associated with worse performance in Animal Fluency among older people without pre-existing diseases. Decreasing UPF consumption may be a way to improve impaired cognition among older adults.

Perry Staltic

Not true in health stores, maybe regular grocery stores. I can buy Jeni’s ice cream without any propylene glycol. In fact ice cream free of all additives has been discussed many times on the forum. Depending on where you live there are different brands: Three Twins, Strauss, Jeni’s, Moloka, etc.

Oh OK. I figured if Ben & Jerry's had it (which it does), most would.

Lollipop2

Didn't know. I figured they were like Tom's toothpaste. Maybe they're bad too
I am not sure about Tom’s anymore. I think these companies start out okay, then they are bought out by pharmaceutical companies trying to get into the natural supplement/food market and then cheapen them. This happened to the Organic milk company Horizon Organics. Now they are a horrible product. So sad really.

OP
David PS

David PS

I am thinking that the linked thread is related to this one.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

joaquin

no, it's fine.

homogenation of milk fats happen in the gut anyhow.
Homogenation in the gut? Does it also displace the artery damaging enzyme xanthanase the way that commercial homogenizing does?

OP
David PS

David PS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals