Association Between Push-up Exercise Capacity And Future Cardiovascular Events Among Active Adult Me

Mito

Results A total of 1562 participants underwent baseline examination, and 1104 with available push-up data were included in the final analyses. Mean (SD) age of the cohort at baseline was 39.6 (9.2) years, and mean (SD) BMI was 28.7 (4.3). During the 10-year follow up, 37 CVD-related outcomes (8601 person-years) were reported in participants with available push-up data. Significant negative associations were found between increasing push-up capacity and CVD events. Participants able to complete more than 40 push-ups were associated with a significantly lower risk of incident CVD event risk compared with those completing fewer than 10 push-ups (IRR, 0.04; 95% CI, 0.01-0.36).

Conclusions and Relevance The findings suggest that higher baseline push-up capacity is associated with a lower incidence of CVD events. Although larger studies in more diverse cohorts are needed, push-up capacity may be a simple, no-cost measure to estimate functional status.

Push-up Exercise Capacity and Future Cardiovascular Events in Active Adult Men

Zigzag

Yes, physical activity is quite good actually... what's suprising about that?

Kingpinguin

Well the study only says that people who could do more push ups more easily was healthier?
Strength does not only come from exercise. 18 year old are kid stronger even if they dont ever work out than what an 80+ year old would likely ever be. Probably even if the 80 year old did work out. Only time the 80 year old would win would be if he worked out and was in exceptional health. That means taking care of yourself into old age. Exercise or not. Exercise can be very positive or very damaging to the body. It all depends on the underlying body before exercise.
Good metabolism, dopamine levels, low serotonin, low cortisol would help tremendously.
Serotonin rises during exercise to make you feel weak and fatigue. Dopamine does the opposite. It makes you feel stronger and able to perform better. So thats an important measure. We know serotonin is bad for CVD and dopamine is actually an antioxidant protecting against CVD. So I would assume one of the main factors for the study above is just a physical demonstration of high and low serotonin levels and what they can do to a creature.
Exercise by itself is not a determining factor although it will help tremendously if used properly and under the right circumstances.

Central nervous system fatigue - Wikipedia

Depression and Whole Blood Serotonin in Patients With Coronary Heart Disease From the Heart and Soul Study

Serotonin Mechanisms in Heart Valve Disease I: Serotonin-Induced Up-Regulation of Transforming Growth Factor-β1 via G-Protein Signal Transduction in Aortic Valve Interstitial Cells

This only shows association, no causation. Of course, healthy people will do better at physical exertion, but that doesn't mean that by getting really good at doing push- ups, you'll become healthy. It may be that what's causing people to be able to do the push ups is the same thing that's making them healthier.

Kingpinguin

This only shows association, no causation. Of course, healthy people will do better at physical exertion, but that doesn't mean that by getting really good at doing push- ups, you'll become healthy. It may be that what's causing people to be able to do the push ups is the same thing that's making them healthier.

exactly I would link that to low serotonin high dopamine makes people stronger and healthier

exactly I would link that to low serotonin high dopamine makes people stronger and healthier
I agree. Low serotonin is great for muscle function as well as good digestion( which is essential for absorbing nutrients from food), in my experience.

Jib

I've been leaning towards high-rep bodyweight exercises like this.

Bodyweight full ROM squats, calf raises, pushups, pullups/chinups, inverted rows, front lever/back lever, handstand pushups.

Nothing against weight training. I just find movements like these easier to do on the fly, and consistently/randomly, also spontaneously according to desire. Pushups/squats can be done anywhere. Pullups/gym rings require a special setup, but if you have such a setup at home, it's easy to do on the fly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals