Association Between Aspirin Use and Biliary Tract Cancer Survival

Jam

Chalk up another win for aspirin. Cholangiocarcinoma is a rare form of cancer, but it is especially relevant to me as it is taking my father's life. While these studies are specific to cholangiocarcinoma, these benefits of aspirin can probably be applied to all forms of cancer.

Association Between Aspirin Use and Biliary Tract Cancer Survival

We observed a reduced risk of death for postdiagnosis aspirin users across all BTC types. Platelet activation protects tumor cells from elimination, enhances metastatic cell growth, and enables cancerous cells to spread via the bloodstream.4,6 Aspirin may slow the metastatic spread of cancer cells through inhibition of platelet aggregation, improving BTC survival.1 A limitation of our analysis is the lack of data on cancer stage and chemotherapy regimens received (if any). However, most BTCs are diagnosed at late stage2 with less than 10% of patients presenting with resectable tumors and 50% of tumors metastasizing to the lymph nodes.1 The survival benefit of aspirin observed in our study is on par with the current standard of care.2

Aspirin inhibits cholangiocarcinoma cell proliferation via cell cycle arrest in vitro and in vivo

Aspirin inhibits tumor proliferation in vivo​

Based on the results obtained from in vitro studies, the effect of aspirin in an in vivo model of CCA was assessed. Nude mice were injected subcutaneously with HuCCT-1 cells followed by intraperitoneal injection of aspirin. The present results revealed that tumor growth was significantly inhibited in mice treated with aspirin compared to untreated mice (P<0.05) (Fig. 8A). No mice succumbed during the observation period. Expression levels of miR-340-5p in tumor tissue were not significantly different, although the RQ was slightly increased in the two aspirin-treated groups (Fig. 8B). H&E-stained images of the xenografted tumor tissues revealed no significant histo-pathological differences between the aspirin-treated and control mice. Immunohistochemical staining of cyclin D1 indicated that cyclin D1-positive cells in the aspirin-treated groups were reduced in number compared with the control group (Fig. 8C).

Aspirin lower as many forms of cancer. It is far more effective than anything else, any chemotherapy agent. As for colorectal cancer, for example, it reduces risk 2/3 with regular use.

Jon2547

Is White Willow Bark preferable to regular aspirin?

OP
Jam

Jam

Summer

Jam, is your father currently using aspirin, and if so would you mind letting me know the which kind and the dosage? There have been a few cancer scares in my family and I would be grateful for the info. The feeling of helplessness from such a diagnosis is almost unbearable.

Nemo

Jam, is your father currently using aspirin, and if so would you mind letting me know the which kind and the dosage? There have been a few cancer scares in my family and I would be grateful for the info. The feeling of helplessness from such a diagnosis is almost unbearable.

I got better from cancer using aspirin. I did have surgery to remove the tumor, because by the time I got a correct diagnosis it was debilitating and it was encroaching on my eye (it was in my frontal lobe and sinuses). But I never had chemo or radiation despite excited warnings from my doctors that my chance of recurrence by this point without one or the other would be high (over 70%).

You don't automatically get over cancer metabolism just by treating the tumor or getting it removed. I started using a dosage of three adult aspirin six times a day to fight that metabolism. I used that for the first few months after getting home from the surgery. I never used the opiate my doctors prescribed for pain. Only aspirin.

Then I began replacing some of the aspirin doses with Pyrucet or niacinamide doses. I also used progesterone from my first day back home, including some drops over the area of the tumor, plus low-dose thyroid and a Peat diet.

You can feel cancer metabolism apart from whatever the tumor is doing to you. For example, you get terrible shortness of breath. I still had that when I got home from the hospital, but I had kicked it within a few months on this program.

For bile duct cancer, I imagine endotoxins would be extremely important as well.

I got better from cancer using aspirin. I did have surgery to remove the tumor, because by the time I got a correct diagnosis it was debilitating and it was encroaching on my eye (it was in my frontal lobe and sinuses). But I never had chemo or radiation despite excited warnings from my doctors that my chance of recurrence by this point without one or the other would be high (over 70%).

You don't automatically get over cancer metabolism just by treating the tumor or getting it removed. I started using a dosage of three adult aspirin six times a day to fight that metabolism. I used that for the first few months after getting home from the surgery. I never used the opiate my doctors prescribed for pain. Only aspirin.

Then I began replacing some of the aspirin doses with Pyrucet or niacinamide doses. I also used progesterone from my first day back home, including some drops over the area of the tumor, plus low-dose thyroid and a Peat diet.

You can feel cancer metabolism apart from whatever the tumor is doing to you. For example, you get terrible shortness of breath. I still had that when I got home from the hospital, but I had kicked it within a few months on this program.

For bile duct cancer, I imagine endotoxins would be extremely important as well.

Fantastic result and thank you so much for an incredible post. :thankyou

S-VV

Nice. We really should be archiving these case reports in snsystematic way.

Summer

Thanks for sharing. I’m glad aspirin has been effective for you!

OP
Jam

Jam

My father has been in the hospital now for close to 2 months with a drug-resistant Klebsiella infection that started around the stent in his bile duct. It then spread to parts of his liver, gall bladder and lungs. It has been improving a bit, recently, seemingly from the Lapodin and Vitamin D that I instructed my mom to give him. Unfortunately, he's on another continent and I'm doing my best to work with the doctors. but it's not easy. I've been wanting to get him on aspirin for a while now but his doctors have been against it. Additionally, he's been having serious blood coagulation issues lately, so I instructed them to give him vitamin K and luckily they agreed. I checked his labs yesterday and it's working, so hopefully I can get him on aspirin ASAP. I wanted to put him on methylene blue + SSKI + red light for the infection but they have been giving him occasional morphine for the pain, so MB is a no-go for the time being (potential serotonin syndrome risk).

OP
Jam

Jam

Wouldn't high doses of Asprin cause bleeding issues?
Yes, which is why we're waiting for any such issues to be resolved first

Summer

My father has been in the hospital now for close to 2 months with a drug-resistant Klebsiella infection that started around the stent in his bile duct. It then spread to parts of his liver, gall bladder and lungs. It has been improving a bit, recently, seemingly from the Lapodin and Vitamin D that I instructed my mom to give him. Unfortunately, he's on another continent and I'm doing my best to work with the doctors. but it's not easy. I've been wanting to get him on aspirin for a while now but his doctors have been against it. Additionally, he's been having serious blood coagulation issues lately, so I instructed them to give him vitamin K and luckily they agreed. I checked his labs yesterday and it's working, so hopefully I can get him on aspirin ASAP. I wanted to put him on methylene blue + SSKI + red light for the infection but they have been giving him occasional morphine for the pain, so MB is a no-go for the time being (potential serotonin syndrome risk).
I’m sorry to hear about your father’s condition. I’m glad the doctors took your advice on the vitamin K. Hopefully he can begin taking aspirin soon.

Nemo

Yes, which is why we're waiting for any such issues to be resolved first

Jam, Haidut has published posts on studies showing that aspirin reduces bleeding risk:

Here's another of interest:

You might do a search at his site on "bleeding".

My personal experience with this is I was in a lot of pain before and after my brain cancer surgery and decided to take aspirin rather than the opiates my doctor prescribed because when I researched the issue, I found studies debunking the idea that aspirin increased bleeding from surgery. I wanted to avoid opiates because of what Ray Peat said here:

The recognized anti-metastatic effect of aspirin, and its ability to inhibit the development of new blood vessels that would support the tumor’s growth, make it an appropriate drug to use for pain control, even if it doesn’t shrink the tumor. In studies of many kinds of tumor, though, it does cause regression, or at least slows tumor growth. And it protects against many of the systemic consequences of cancer, including wasting (cachexia), immunosuppression, and strokes.

Opiates are the standard medical prescription for pain control in cancer, but they are usually prescribed in inadequate quantities, 'to prevent addiction.' Biologically, they are the most inappropriate means of pain control, since they increase the release of histamine, which synergizes with the tumor-derived factors to suppress immunity and stimulate tumor growth.

I didn't have any problem starting high-dose aspirin a week after my surgery. And I took it until the night before the surgery and came through it without anyone telling me I'd had extra bleeding.

But I also realize it's much harder to give something unorthodox to someone you love than to take it yourself. I know you have to be extra cautious. Just something to keep in mind. I've got your dad in my heart.

RealNeat

Jam, Haidut has published posts on studies showing that aspirin reduces bleeding risk:

My personal experience with this is I was in a lot of pain before and after my brain cancer surgery and decided to take aspirin rather than the opiates my doctor prescribed because when I researched the issue, I found studies debunking the idea that aspirin increased bleeding from surgery. I wanted to avoid opiates because of what Ray Peat said here:

I didn't have any problem starting high-dose aspirin a week after my surgery. And I took it until the night before the surgery and came through it without anyone telling me I'd had extra bleeding.

But I also realize it's much harder to give something unorthodox to someone you love than to take it yourself. I know you have to be extra cautious. Just something to keep in mind. I've got your dad in my heart.
How did you take the aspirin? Dissolved in water? Any baking soda or glycine with it? Glad you are well.

OP
Jam

Jam

Thank you so much Nemo, really appreciate it.

Nemo

How did you take the aspirin? Dissolved in water? Any baking soda or glycine with it? Glad you are well.

RealNeat, I just swallowed the pills. I eat gelatin daily, but wasn't necessarily eating it at the same time as the aspirin.

The only problem I had was the aspirin definitely impacted my hearing. It was like I was hearing through cotton stuck in my ears.

My hearing returned when I lowered the dose.

S.Seneff

ioi50180t5.png