Aspirin & Vitamin D Production

J

j.

Using aspirin allows a person to stay longer in the sun without getting sunburned. Does aspirin affect vitamin D production? I.e., do we produce less, more, or about the same amount of vitamin D if we sunbathe after taking it as after not taking aspirin?

jyb

Do you have an idea of usage - in terms of both dosage and frequency? Eg, if I take a 325mg aspirin, then go in the sun 30 minutes later, how long will the aspirin benefit last?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good question.

Jenn

Aspirin is anti pufa. It's the PUFAs in the skin that cause burning. I don't think you can take an aspirin and have an immediate effect necessarily, but probably over time. For some people it might work, but I don't think you can force your body to use the aspirin where you want it to go. The body heals according to its own agenda.

Milklove

I used aspirin as a sunblocker several times in the last few days and it works for sure. I think the effect is instantaneous, but you have to take a pretty high dose. I spent the whole day in the sun and didn't get a sunburn, not even pink skin ;)

Aspirin, or other sunblockers are actually helpful if you want to improve your Vitamin D levels, since they allow you spend more time in the sun and thus increase your vitamin D production.

OP
J

j.

Milklove said:
Aspirin, or other sunblockers are actually helpful if you want to improve your Vitamin D levels, since they allow you spend more time in the sun and thus increase your vitamin D production.

I don't think I'm ready to take on faith, without studies, that aspirin doesn't interfere with the mechanism of vitamin D production, even while allowing the skin to receive more UVB.

OP
J

j.

Milklove, do you remember if you got a tan? UVA produces tanning. UVB sunburn. If you didn't get a tan, aspirin possibly reduces the damage of both UVA and UVB.

Milklove

Yes, I got a tan, BUT not as much as my father who spent the day with me. He did not use any sunscreen and got a sunburn on his head and neck though.

OP
J

j.

Milklove said:
Yes, I got a tan, BUT not as much as my father who spent the day with me. He did not use any sunscreen and got a sunburn on his head and neck though.

Thanks, that's useful information. As far as I understand things, what happened to you and your father are different phenomena. Your tanning was produced by UVA, and his sunburn was produced by UVB.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals