Aspirin Topically To Spare The Gut?

nostalgic

I've been having severe IBS issues lately so I don't take any aspirin atm, but I do miss it. Would applying it topically be gentle for my stomach? Would it still be effective ? Thanks.

YourUniverse

I've been having severe IBS issues lately so I don't take any aspirin atm, but I do miss it. Would applying it topically be gentle for my stomach? Would it still be effective ? Thanks.
Hey, sorry to hear youre having some trouble. This is some of what Ray had to say on the topic:

"Aspirin rapidly breaks down into acetic acid and salicylic acid (which is found in many fruits), and salicylic acid is protective to the stomach and intestine, and other organs."

"Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants."

"Although the animal studies that showed stomach damage from aspirin often used single doses equivalent to 10 or 100 aspirin tablets, the slight irritation produced by a normal dose of aspirin can be minimized by dissolving the aspirin in water. The stomach develops a tolerance for aspirin over a period of a few days, allowing the dose to be increased if necessary. And both aspirin and salicylic acid can be absorbed through the skin, so rheumatic problems have been treated by adding the drug to bath water."

Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Hope that helps!

michael94

Yes it works topically... trying using very warm water and applying to liver area. It is not the same as oral ingestion so you will have to just try it.

OP
N

nostalgic

Hey, sorry to hear youre having some trouble. This is some of what Ray had to say on the topic:

"Aspirin rapidly breaks down into acetic acid and salicylic acid (which is found in many fruits), and salicylic acid is protective to the stomach and intestine, and other organs."

"Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants."

"Although the animal studies that showed stomach damage from aspirin often used single doses equivalent to 10 or 100 aspirin tablets, the slight irritation produced by a normal dose of aspirin can be minimized by dissolving the aspirin in water. The stomach develops a tolerance for aspirin over a period of a few days, allowing the dose to be increased if necessary. And both aspirin and salicylic acid can be absorbed through the skin, so rheumatic problems have been treated by adding the drug to bath water."

Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info. So it will have roughly the same effect when applied topically? I've read on other sites that Aspirin is bad for the stomach but I have no idea how reliable those sources are. I'll check out your link. Cheers.

OP
N

nostalgic

Yes it works topically... trying using very warm water and applying to liver area. It is not the same as oral ingestion so you will have to just try it.
Do you find it to be much less efficient when applied topically?

YourUniverse

Thanks for the info. So it will have roughly the same effect when applied topically? I've read on other sites that Aspirin is bad for the stomach but I have no idea how reliable those sources are. I'll check out your link. Cheers.
Yeah, personally Id trust Ray's opinion above just about any random website!

Constatine

You can just try the herb meadowsweet. It has salicylic acid in it and shouldn't cause any stomach issues. It's actually used for digestive issues quite often.

schultz

I've read on other sites that Aspirin is bad for the stomach but I have no idea how reliable those sources are.

Yeah, personally Id trust Ray's opinion above just about any random website!

+1

Usually my only 2 sources for information are Ray and pubmed, and pubmed requires a great deal of criticism. There are likely studies designed to portray aspirin in a negative light considering it's such a miraculous drug that costs almost nothing. It seems the campaign against aspirin has worked for the most part since people seem to be very scared of it. I ran across a bodybuilding forum and they were discussing how stupid and dangerous it is to take aspirin. Once the bodybuilders won't take it you know something has happened.

Aspirin actually strengthens the stomach if taken repeatedly. Aspirin Conditioning Protects The Stomach From All Irritants

You can ingest it with baking soda and/or glycine. Both of these help prevent any initial irritating effect.

Effect of sodium bicarbonate on aspirin-induced damage and potential difference changes in human gastric mucosa. - PubMed - NCBI
"These findings indicate that sodium bicarbonate in amounts equivalent to one-third of a teaspoonful of baking soda protects the gastric mucosa against aspirin-induced damage and prevents the usual fall in potential difference after aspirin."

[The effect of glycine on the gastroduodenal tolerability of acetylsalicylic acid. An endoscopic, controlled double-blind study in healthy subjects]. - PubMed - NCBI
"In contrast to plain ASA, where 9 of 10 volunteers reported gastrointestinal side effects, all subjects receiving ASA in combination with glycine did not complain from any dyspeptic symptoms, i.e. epigastric pain etc. The reasons for the apparent better tolerability of ASA in combination with glycine are discussed."

Elize

Mix the asprin with coconut oil. I have a powder. Crush the tablet. Worked for me

L

lollipop

I take my aspirin with 6 oz milk and have never experienced any problems.

artlange

I've been taking 2 ea 2X/day and have had no issues. I do take extra Glycene 1.5 tsp to help protect hearing and 20mg K1 for clotting and avoid cub-cutaneous bleeding. I use Gericare brand 325mg aspirin which dissolve very rapidly when dropped into a glass of water. I usually have a few oz water to help swallow the aspirin tabs.

sladerunner69

You can use it topically but it will probably only have about 1/10th the potency if you just apply it as aspirin+water. Have you tried dissolving the aspirin in warm water and mixing it with a touch of baking soda? This solves aspirin irritation for me.

artlange

I've been taking 2 ea 2X/day and have had no issues. I do take extra Glycene 1.5 tsp to help protect hearing and 20mg K1 for clotting and avoid cub-cutaneous bleeding. I use Gericare brand 325mg aspirin which dissolve very rapidly when dropped into a glass of water. I usually have a few oz water to help swallow the aspirin tabs.

Update March 15, 2018
I have been measuring my bladder capacity and in the last few months it increased by about 25% since I started 2ea 2X/day aspirin. I've backed off to 1ea 2x/day since lately it seems that my ears are ringing a little more than I remember. The increased bladder capacity may be caused by a shrinkage of the prostate. It is hard to do this experiment with any certainty that the aspirin was the causative factor.