Aspirin: Testimonials, And Questions Answered

stevensmith

This topic is for people who want to note their positive and negative effects of taking aspirin. Does it cause intestinal bleeding? Excess bruising? I think this is a topic that is very misunderstood, and I've noticed that in the ray peat fans page on FB, some of the top questions asked are about aspirin. I am interested in the replies...

I guess a great place to start for answers is here: http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aspir ... ncer.shtml

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
After I take a high dose of aspirin(2 grams) I feel really great for a short period. However, my nose started bleeding a lot in the morning. And I felt that something just wasn't right. So I have decided to stop the aspirin. If I ever do decide to take it again, it will be very small doses. I was also taking Vitamin K along with it.

OP
S

stevensmith

good idea to use the k with it. Yeah, I rarely ever take more than 325mg, but once in a while when I do, I get nosebleeds. Same thing happens with lots of vitamin e. I probably never get enough vitamin k, because I dont eat vegetables, but sometimes I'll make a kale broth.

Meighen

I, too, have had a problem with nosebleeds the past few weeks (having taken aspirin for probably four months or more, usually one 325g/day, and 500mg Vit. K per week). I saw my doctor about it today and it was her opinion that the aspirin could be contributing to it. She recommended that I switch to the 81mg/day tablets, or preferably stop taking any. So I'll stop, see if that helps.

My Question to Peat:
"Is there any difference between the crystal and the powder form of acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), particulary with regard to stability and Absorption?

What would be a reasonable dose of ASA if you are healthy (no cancer etc.) and have a good diet but only have some problems with falling into sleep and getting up in the morning?

Do you think its an good idea to take some ASA every day, in generell e.g. to prevent cancer?"

My Answer from Peat:

"I think a little aspirin, regularly if not daily, is good prevention, if you are sure to get enough vitamin K, to prevent excess bleeding. The amount depends on how you react to it, and can change as your metabolism adjusts. Taking some at bedtime can be very helpful for sleeping; sometimes I take about 500 mg at night, but other times just a little. I think the crystals are more stable, but I keep the big container (a multi-year supply) in the freezer, and keep out enough for a couple of months. The powdered forms developed an acetic acid smell with time, the crystals don't."

I have found a pharmacy in germany that can sold me ASA in crystal form and I will do it like peat and keep it in the freezer ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Interesting. If you do not feel like posting it publicly, can you PM me a link to the place you are going to get it from? I would definitely like to get some in the future.

hoppimike

Not to worry anyone, but speaking freely - taking aspirin daily was the biggest mistake I ever made. I took 300mg daily for 3 months and got awful bouts of nausea and bad stomach reactions. Dropped the aspirin and 5 months later I'm still not healed. I dunno if it was because I took it on an empty stomach relatively often or not but BE CAREFUL!!!!!

I have some supps and stuff in mind to try to heal the damage though so I'll probs be ok :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dang dude! That's a bit worrisome. Hope you get better!

I am definitely going to be treading a lot more carefully with aspirin from here on out. Maybe only take it a couple days a week and at very very small doses. Also going to work on getting pure crystals.

hoppimike

Charlie said:
Dang dude! That's a bit worrisome. Hope you get better!

I am definitely going to be treading a lot more carefully with aspirin from here on out. Maybe only take it a couple days a week and at very very small doses. Also going to work on getting pure crystals.

yeah, plenty of ways of being healthy without that stuff IMO.

Honestly, it's the worst mistake I ever made. But maybe that was because of how I took it (on an empty stomach too much or something), I don't know.

But yeah do be careful, feeling nauseous regularly is not pleasant I can assure you.

Hopefully the gelatine and stuff will sort me out! :)

@ hoppimike

Even Low Doses of ASA (75-325mg/d) can lead to problems like stomach bleeding, so its important to get enough vitamin K with it.

Did u eat kale or liver once a month or supplemented vitamin K?

Did u have nose bleeding?

hoppimike

Close to Nature said:
@ hoppimike

Even Low Doses of ASA (75-325mg/d) can lead to problems like stomach bleeding, so its important to get enough vitamin K with it.

Did u eat kale or liver once a month or supplemented vitamin K?

Did u have nose bleeding?

hm, I don't think I understood the vitamin K thing at the time... darn. iiiiidiot! heh

Ah well, live n learn!

And no, no nose bleeding.

I was told that if I stop NSAIDs and take gelatine I should be able to heal up ok? All I care about at the moment is healing it...

milushq

Hi, guys!
I take low dose aspirin for almost three months now and also vit.K2 when I don't forget to take it(usually 15 drops). I split a 325 mg. tablet of aspirin to 4 pieces and take it everyday. I was concerned of taking it, because I'm trying to get pregnant, but then Rob from FPS found some studies for me, which were using low dose aspirin on women are going through IVF treatment with great success and I was convinced. I have a frend who is doing IVF at this moment and she is also using low dose aspirin along with the treatment. I don't have any adverse reactions on aspirin, but I do take it only with meals and in very low doses. Even in those low doses it still should help with low grade inflammation prosseses due to slow release of PUFAs from the tissues. Aspirin inhibits the production of inflammatory and stress promoting prostaglandins made from the unsaturated fats.
"So many of aspirin effects oppose those of estrogen, it would be tempting to suggest that it's "basic action" is the suppression of estrogen. But I think it's more likely that both estrogen and aspirin are acting on some basic prosseses, in approximately opposite ways." Ray Peat, PhD
Studies on use of aspirin during IVF:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7844233/
The benefits of low-dose aspirin therapy in women with impaired uterine perfusion during assisted conception.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10 ... 33/related
Low-dose aspirin treatment improves ovarian responsiveness, uterine and ovarian blood flow velocity, implantation, and pregnancy rates in patients undergoing in vitro fertilization: a prospective, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled assay.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/91 ... 33/related
Aspirin improves uterine blood flow in the peri-implantation period.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
millushq, welcome to the forum! :wave:

That's some great info about aspirin, thank you.

milushq

I can't understand why someone who doesn't have cancer would want to take such a big doses, like 500 mg. a day.
And also I'd like to emphasize, that it's really important to use a very clean product, like the one, that only has Acetilcalicilic acid and starch in it or better else pure Acetilcalicilic acid. There are a lot of problems associated with enteric coating of the tablets.
"The half-life of fats in human adipose tissue is about 600 days, meaning that significant amounts of previously consumed oils will still be present up to four years after they have been removed from the diet."
"But many very useful drugs that already existed, including cortisol and aspirin, were found to achieve some of their most important effects by inhibiting the formation of the prostaglandins. It was the body's load of polyunsaturated fats which made it very susceptible to inflammation, stress, trauma, infection, radiation, hormone imbalance, and other fundamental problems, and drugs like aspirin and cortisone, which limit the activation of the stored “essential fatty acids,” gain their remarkable range of beneficial effects partly by the restraint they impose on those stored toxins."
"People with a significant amount of fat in their body, who have in the past eaten foods containing vegetable oils,are likely to draw unsaturated fats out of storage, with toxic effect unless vit.E, thyroid and coconut oil are used protectively untill tissue stores of unsaturated fats are depleted. Typically, body stores of fat take four years to completely reflect the change to a different type of dietary fat."
Ray Peat, PhD

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Milushq, where do you get your aspirin from?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That one just has starch and aspirin I am assuming?

milushq

Yes. I tried to find pure aspirin powder, but only find one for horses :D , so I've decided to buy with starch.

hoppimike

milushq said:
Yes. I tried to find pure aspirin powder, but only find one for horses :D , so I've decided to buy with starch.

lol, yeah I doubt that tiny bit of starch will be problematic!

Always be careful with aspirin as it's powerful stuff.

I don't think I can trust myself with that kind of power lol, I'll just hurt myself again like last time!! :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Soon as I get a line on some pure aspirin crystals I will pass on the info. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And Hoppi be careful when you get your thyroid! Don't do what I did and take too much at first!!!! :help :error