Aspirin+sodium Bicarbonate

Experienced

Been taking a lot of aspirin during the last week. I've had some sideffects, I think it might have caused some internal bleeding even with plenty of k2,
Isn't internal bleeding causing to death? Or how does it feel like.

postman

Isn't internal bleeding causing to death? Or how does it feel like.
It was nothing serious, just a couple of small red bruises on random places on my skin. It stopped happening after a while, like the other sideffects.

OceanSpray

I bought some pure aspirin powder, but have trouble dissolving it in water, hot or cold.
Adding hot water+sodium bicarbonate dissolves it, but is it still effective then?

Is it better not to dissolve first and swallow the crystals?

Why go into all that trouble with a powder, when you can take a pill. The tiny amount of corn starch or cellulose that it contains is negligible in the great scheme of things, you probably inhale a far more of far worse stuff throughout the day just by breathing.

Sativa

Why go into all that trouble with a powder, when you can take a pill.
Because it's significantly more strategic & desirable to take aspirin (aka acetyl-salicylic acid) or salicylic acid (a more preferable form), in powder form, since this enhances absorption & significantly reduces/minimises stomach lining & GI tract irritation etc.

Even better, making the sodium salt of salicylic acid results in a fully water soluble substance. This is BASIC chemistry - Salicylic.acid + Sodium.Bicarbonate = Sodium Salicylate.

I make this in large 100g quantities, and then oven dry the result.
Haidut explains:
Ray sent someone an email telling them that if the stomach does not get irritated by the magnesium, then other aspirin salts like magnesium and sodium salicylates would be very good to take
Full thread: Magnesium Salicylate And Sodium Salicylate

Last edited:

OceanSpray

Because it's significantly more strategic & desirable to take aspirin (aka acetyl-salicylic acid) or salicylic acid (a more preferable form), in powder form, since this enhances absorption & significantly reduces/minimises stomach lining & GI tract irritation etc

I don’t get this. I’ve never heard of aspirin absorption being an issue, ever. It gets absorbed the same whether you take a pill or a powder. As far as irritation goes - how can it be any lower from a powder vs a dissolved pill? What would the mechanism be? I can’t quite picture it.

Sativa

You could just read Haiduts posts about it I guess, to answer your questions.

Powdering the acidic pill before eating it, so it won't be hanging around anywhere for too long is a strategic move (ie time taken for it to dissolve, sat on stomach/GI Iining etc etc)

Anyway, the Sodium form is pretty neat, plus fully water soluble. I just made the calcium form using egg shell Calcium Carbonate + salicylic acid.

I'd say the fully soluble salt forms outperform the acid forms.

Aspirin gets degraded to Salicylic Acid if it comes in contact with Carbonates iirc.