Aspirin+sodium Bicarbonate

Jeek

I bought some pure aspirin powder, but have trouble dissolving it in water, hot or cold.
Adding hot water+sodium bicarbonate dissolves it, but is it still effective then?

Is it better not to dissolve first and swallow the crystals?

I bought some pure aspirin powder, but have trouble dissolving it in water, hot or cold.
Adding hot water+sodium bicarbonate dissolves it, but is it still effective then?

Is it better not to dissolve first and swallow the crystals?
Dissolving it before swallowing is very important. Ingesting the crystals will likely cause gut irritation.

Haidut has posted many years ago that sodium salycilate, which is the result of sodium bicarbonate+ acetylsalycilic acid may be even more beneficial, since sodium in itself is quite the anti-stress substance.

jacob

Is there a recommended amount or ratio of sodium bicarbonate to use?

Sativa

Haidut has posted many years ago that sodium salycilate, which is the result of sodium bicarbonate+ acetylsalycilic acid may be even more beneficial,

just a minor correction here -

Sodium bicarbonate + acetyl-salicylic acid (aka aspirin) forms Sodium acetyl-salicylate.

Personally, i use S.Bicarbonate and Salicylic acid, to make Sodium salicylate.

for more info see haiduts thread

just a minor correction here -

Sodium bicarbonate + acetyl-salicylic acid (aka aspirin) forms Sodium acetyl-salicylate.

Personally, i use S.Bicarbonate and Salicylic acid, to make Sodium salicylate.

for more info see haiduts thread
Thanks for the correction. I just read that sodium acetyl-salycilate is also called sodium aspirinate, which makes sense.

Have you noticed any difference in terms of effect between sodium salicylate and sodium acetyl-salicylate?

postman

It's actually preferable to use both of them together, as sodium bicarbonate reduces the risk of bleeding from aspirin.
Do you have any papers to back this claim up? Chris Masterjohn says to take aspirin with sodium bicarbonate because it makes you excrete the salicylate quicker. But maybe that is exactly why it reduces the risk of stomach bleeding?

Sativa

Have you noticed any difference in terms of effect between sodium salicylate and sodium acetyl-salicylate?

I have only ever used sodium/magnesium salicylate (soon I'll make Ca Salicylate).

I'd save myself any potential digestive hassle of using straight acid forms by first converting to a salt form.

I don't see any point using the acetyl-salicylate form since salicylic acid is what I want. Using salicylic acid bypasses the step of removal of the 'acetyl-' group too, perhaps implying faster metabolism of salicylic acid (= less potential for GI irritation?; and no acetic acid build-up... which would probably neutralise more endogenous bicarbonate)

Last edited:

Sativa

Do you have any papers to back this claim up? Chris Masterjohn says to take aspirin with sodium bicarbonate because it makes you excrete the salicylate quicker.

Probably read haiduts multiple insights on why he recommends Sodium Salicylate...

Can be found here (post #1, I also quoted another of his posts in my later response):
Magnesium Salicylate And Sodium Salicylate

also:
[The various salt forms of salicylic acid] all metabolize into salicylic acid and likely have the same side effects as aspirin.
Combining aspirin with baking soda to form sodium acetyl-salicylate seems to prevent its effects on GI system and some of its ototoxicity.

There are studies on the forum showing that combining aspirin with glycine or baking soda basically eliminates its negative effects on GI tract

I feel in general, we can prioritise haiduts insight over that from 'Chris Masterjohn'.

I feel that using salicylic acid, instead of acetyl-salicylic acid, might mitigate some of the side effects from aspirin (due to no acetyl- group).

I see no point in using the aspirin form, unless salicylic acid isn't available. I purchased 500g Salicylic acid legally here in the UK. (now i can have fun performing basic acid/base reaction chemistry in my room)

Last edited:

postman

Probably read haiduts multiple insights on why he recommends Sodium Salicylate...

Can be found here (post #1, I also quoted another of his posts in my later response):

also:

I feel in general, we can prioritise haiduts insight over that from 'Chris Masterjohn'.

I feel that using salicylic acid, instead of acetyl-salicylic acid, might mitigate some of the side effects from aspirin (due to no acetyl- group).

I see no point in using the aspirin form, unless salicylic acid isn't available. I purchased 500g Salicylic acid legally here in the UK. (now i can have fun performing basic acid/base reaction chemistry in my room)
Interesting. I guess I'll try taking it with bicarbonate. None of the other tips of have worked for me. If the aspirin + sodium bicarbonate mix doesn't work then I don't think aspirin is for me.

I have only ever used sodium/magnesium salicylate (soon I'll make Ca Salicylate).

I'd save myself any potential digestive hassle of using straight acid forms by first converting to a salt form.

I don't see any point using the acetyl-salicylate form since salicylic acid is what I want. Using salicylic acid bypasses the step of removal of the 'acetyl-' group too, perhaps implying faster metabolism of salicylic acid (= less potential for GI irritation?; and no acetic acid build-up... which would probably neutralise more endogenous bicarbonate)
I see, thanks. I feel the same about the acetic acid, if I can avoid it, then I might as well, since, in the past, vinegar would give me gut pain.

Sativa

If the aspirin + sodium bicarbonate mix doesn't work then I don't think aspirin is for me

Aspirin isn't a fair example of salicylic acid - they're different molecules. Probably worth trying the natural source of salicylate - White Willow bark (an age old traditional remedy).

I've never used aspirin and I never will!

postman

Aspirin isn't a fair example of salicylic acid - they're different molecules. Probably worth trying the natural source of salicylate - White Willow bark (an age old traditional remedy).

I've never used aspirin and I never will!
I think I've actually tried a white willow bark supplement many years ago - and I didn't really feel anything, nothing positive, nothing negative. But it might have been a bad formulation.

Sativa

I think I've actually tried a white willow bark supplement many years ago - and I didn't really feel anything, nothing positive, nothing negative. But it might have been a bad formulation.

i'd rate pure Salicylic acid over w.w.bark for practicality reasons. my 500g bag of SA will last a while!

postman

also:

Interesting. I guess I'll try taking it with bicarbonate. None of the other tips of have worked for me. If the aspirin + sodium bicarbonate mix doesn't work then I don't think aspirin is for me.
Ok so I tried it and the sodium bicarbonate actually helped quite a lot unlike all the other things I've tried. Still not perfect but maybe 80% symptoms reduction. I still get some heavy breathing from aspirin too.

Sativa

how did you do it?
crushed powdered aspirin + sodium bicarbonate mixed in some water?

When I make sodium salicylate i stir the SA+bicarb solution every few hours, seems finished & ready to consume in about 8h, (ie when no more water-insoluble salicylic acid powder is visible).

This time i made a larger batch; using filtered water. I'm planning to evaporate the water for pure Sodium salicylate crystals.
Next time i might practice some chemistry by doing a recrystallization, from a warm supersaturated solution of NaSali...

postman

how did you do it?
crushed powdered aspirin + sodium bicarbonate mixed in some water?

When I make sodium salicylate i stir the SA+bicarb solution every few hours, seems finished & ready to consume in about 8h, (ie when no more water-insoluble salicylic acid powder is visible).

This time i made a larger batch; using filtered water. I'm planning to evaporate the water for pure Sodium salicylate crystals.
Next time i might practice some chemistry by doing a recrystallization, from a warm supersaturated solution of NaSali...
Aspirin mixed in water, filtered through chemex coffee filter, then I added sod bicarb to it.

Anyways, weird turn of events, I started craving aspirin. Been taking some more now, with plenty off tallow which seems to lessen the negative effects. I should probably go buy some vitamin k2, do i need mk4 or mk7? It feels a bit like the aspirin is doing something good in my stomach now, despite it causing discomfort and some pain. Maybe it's killing off some pathogen or something? Or maybe it's just hurting me. I had some energy drinks that usually cause pain but I seemed to tolerate them better now, but maybe that's just because of the tallow.

postman

Aspirin mixed in water, filtered through chemex coffee filter, then I added sod bicarb to it.

Anyways, weird turn of events, I started craving aspirin. Been taking some more now, with plenty off tallow which seems to lessen the negative effects. I should probably go buy some vitamin k2, do i need mk4 or mk7? It feels a bit like the aspirin is doing something good in my stomach now, despite it causing discomfort and some pain. Maybe it's killing off some pathogen or something? Or maybe it's just hurting me. I had some energy drinks that usually cause pain but I seemed to tolerate them better now, but maybe that's just because of the tallow.
Been taking a lot of aspirin during the last week. I've had some sideffects, I think it might have caused some internal bleeding even with plenty of k2, I don't think I should be taking more than 1 gram of aspirin per day. Anyways it seems to have improved my digestive function somewhat, especially when it comes to the ability to handle sour/acidic foods, and also cooked proteins. It could also have been some other dietary changes that helped me but I'm becoming more and more certain it's actually the aspirin.