Aspirin sensitivity

emunah

Hi,

I've read entire thread about aspirin, but I didn't find information about aspirin sensitivity. I'm allergic to all NSAID. After ingesting them I get hives on my chest and neck.
About 10 days ago, I tried to take Aspirin. I took one 375mg pill at the evening, and next day around 1pm I started to feel very weak, nauseous. I ended up vomiting. For next two-three days I had no appetite. And of course on third day I got hives.

I'm reading about benefits of aspirin, and I would love to take it, but I have an extremely busy schedule, and I don't want to risk another wasted afternoon. My overall health is rather good, I'm not overweight, I would say I'm rather slim.

My question:

1. Do you think it's really worth it in my case to go through desensitization? I guess, I took way too much at first given my sensitivity.
2. What causes this sensitivity?
3. Is it possible to get enough salicylic acid from food? (I took a pill with starch only)

tara

I don't know the details about aspirin sensitivity, but general thoughts about any potentially nourishing food we react badly to.
I don't think it counts as a vitamin - you can do without it if it doesn't serve you at the moment.
If it were me, I'd look for lower-hanging fruit before pushing this. And then maybe down the track some time try a much smaller amount (eg 50mg) and maybe try a variant, like dissolving with baking soda, or finding some magnesium salicylate, and making sure to have lots of gelatin or collagen or glycine, to see if that makes it easier to handle.
If you don't react badly to salicylic acid in fruits, then maybe there is a form that will work for you.