Aspirin reduces testosterone and sperm count

S

StayPositive

"ASA reduced sperm count and movement maybe due to a decrease in androgen level. In this study, serum testosterone was decreased. Epididymis is the main site of sperm maturation and is an organ that is completely androgen dependent. Obviously, in episodes of decreased testosterone, the function of epithelium of epididymis is altered, which may also be due to the toxic effects of aspirin on epithelial cells

In conclusion, results of the present study showed that administration of ASA over the 14 days in dose of 5.00 mg increases sperm DNA fragmentation index and therefore reduces DNA integrity and in doses of 0.50, 1.00, 5.00 mg reduces serum testosterone level without having effect on LH. Generally ASA has deleterious effects on the male reproductive indices even in low doses."

OP
S

StayPositive

Not a good news. I am taking aspirin at 1000mg per day. I will do a blood work in few weeks to check testosterone level

Ibuprofen has been shown to reduce testosterone level as well

haidut

Forum Supporter

"ASA reduced sperm count and movement maybe due to a decrease in androgen level. In this study, serum testosterone was decreased. Epididymis is the main site of sperm maturation and is an organ that is completely androgen dependent. Obviously, in episodes of decreased testosterone, the function of epithelium of epididymis is altered, which may also be due to the toxic effects of aspirin on epithelial cells

In conclusion, results of the present study showed that administration of ASA over the 14 days in dose of 5.00 mg increases sperm DNA fragmentation index and therefore reduces DNA integrity and in doses of 0.50, 1.00, 5.00 mg reduces serum testosterone level without having effect on LH. Generally ASA has deleterious effects on the male reproductive indices even in low doses."

Except that in humans, even higher doses of aspirin actually lowered cortisol and increased testosterone.
@ecstatichamster @Charger

OP
S

StayPositive

Except that in humans, even higher doses of aspirin actually lowered cortisol and increased testosterone.
@ecstatichamster @Charger
Thanks but that's only a 10 days study. I will do a blood work and tell you if my testosterone level has significantly changed

I take a gram or so a day often and my testosterone is high and my semen output is quite good. So for me aspirin has been a blessing.

OP
S

StayPositive

I take a gram or so a day often and my testosterone is high and my semen output is quite good. So for me aspirin has been a blessing.
Every body is different, but this study shown that aspirin highly reduces sperm count and sperm volume in humans :

"We did find a decrease in the percentage of motile sperm in group D with respect to the controls and group A (Table 1), characterized by a decrease in rapid spermatozoa and an increase in viable immotile gametes (data not shown). In agreement with our findings, the administration of 2,600 mg/day for 3 days of salicylic acid to healthy donors significantly decreased the sperm motility (50%) with respect to control values (1). It should be kept in mind that acetyl salicylic acid irreversibly inhibits cyclooxigenase (8) and that 73% of men from our study stated they take only aspirin.
In our study, we found a decrease of the viable spermatozoa population in group D when compared with the control group. This observation does not agree with that of other investigators (1), who reported that the same aspirin treatment that affected sperm motility did not alter the gamete viability. The long-term treatment of patients included in our study could explain a strongly enhanced deleterious effect".

This doesn't sound good to me

OP
S

StayPositive

It doesn't really surprise me, everything that works against hair loss / baldness mess up with testosterone and androgens, always. This is always like a trade between your hair or your balls

ArtIt

I take 2 grams of aspirin daily, for the last 3 months, and did not notice any physiological change.

OP
S

StayPositive

I take 2 grams of aspirin daily, for the last 3 months, and did not notice any physiological change.
I am noticing a huge drop in sexual interest since i started asprin. I take 1g per day.

I don't know if it's a "placebo side effect", but studies show it definitely has an effect on testosterone production and testicles

qwazy

Aspirin also increases intestinal permeability so it is not something that should be taken frequently.

ArtIt

I am noticing a huge drop in sexual interest since i started asprin. I take 1g per day.

I don't know if it's a "placebo side effect", but studies show it definitely has an effect on testosterone production and testicles
May be then I should take less... I will watch myself more closely.

Inaut

I've been nibbling on aspirin every few days. Approximately 1/4 of a tablet.

Gustav3Y

Many that take aspirin also take copious amounts of hormones and various other supplements or drugs, so I am not sure how relevant is aspirin on their Testosterone for those people. Something to think about.

Sperm is part of semen, so I am not sure how relevant is how much semen ejaculates and looks at, considering there are many otehr factors that thicken or thin semen, etc.

Prota

How much vitamin K (oral or topical; mk4 or mk7) do you take with a gram of aspirin?

GorillaHead

This makes a lot of sense. Asprin inhibits pgd2. Pgd2 is necessary for sperm production.

Back
Top Bottom