Aspirin, niacinamide and eye bags

Scenes

All the FAO inhibitors (aspirin, niacinamide, pyrucet) give me dark circles and eye bags under my eyes. I've stopped and started many times and they always have the same effect. Pyrucet was by far the worst, probably because it's the strongest. Defibron has a similar effect with more puffiness under the eyes.

Obvious thinking is I need more sugar/carbs to replace the fatty acids I was likely running off, but I can only fit in so much food, I eat to appetite and a bit beyond when need be. I eat plenty of eggs, oysters, oj and milk so I assume I'm getting my major nutrients.

Any suggestions as to the cause and solution?

Mauritio

For me it has to do with gut ,allergies and kidneys.
Spending 3 weeks in high altitude in Nepal this year reduced them by a lot ,temporarily.
Still dont know how to completely get rid of them.

Hans

Forum Supporter
All the FAO inhibitors (aspirin, niacinamide, pyrucet) give me dark circles and eye bags under my eyes. I've stopped and started many times and they always have the same effect. Pyrucet was by far the worst, probably because it's the strongest. Defibron has a similar effect with more puffiness under the eyes.

Obvious thinking is I need more sugar/carbs to replace the fatty acids I was likely running off, but I can only fit in so much food, I eat to appetite and a bit beyond when need be. I eat plenty of eggs, oysters, oj and milk so I assume I'm getting my major nutrients.

Are you having carbs together with those supplements?
What doses are you taking of those supplements?

OP
S

Scenes

Are you having carbs together with those supplements?
What doses are you taking of those supplements?
Yep carbs all day and taking supps with a meal. Just woke up and checked - super puffy eye bags as expected from aspirin and niacinamide yesterday. It comes on from only a day or two of use. Tried multiple brands, this time it's topical solban rubbed in to navel. 5 sprays which is a standard dose.

Can confidently say it's not from a lack of carbs, but I have had the low blood sugar feeling and faintness in the past from niacinamide when I dose 500mg and don't keep carbs handy. I drink about 3 coffees per day as well, always with sugar and milk.

Surely there is a logical cause/solution here. I emailed peat, he said try thyroid and vitamin d.

mostlylurking

The bags under my eyes were the worst when I had leaky gut and was almost universally reactive to almost all foods and chemicals. I was really sick. Hypothyroidism can cause that; your body doesn't have the energy to heal itself. Thiamine deficiency can cause it too. The two together are pretty awful. You can't absorb thiamine and other nutrients very well if you have a damaged gut, and you need thiamine and magnesium to help heal the gut.

Carrot salad, cooked mushrooms, thyroid medication, thiamine and magnesium have proven helpful for me.

mostlylurking

Yep carbs all day and taking supps with a meal. Just woke up and checked - super puffy eye bags as expected from aspirin and niacinamide yesterday. It comes on from only a day or two of use. Tried multiple brands, this time it's topical solban rubbed in to navel. 5 sprays which is a standard dose.

Can confidently say it's not from a lack of carbs, but I have had the low blood sugar feeling and faintness in the past from niacinamide when I dose 500mg and don't keep carbs handy. I drink about 3 coffees per day as well, always with sugar and milk.

Surely there is a logical cause/solution here. I emailed peat, he said try thyroid and vitamin d.
If you have a thiamine deficiency the coffee and sugar and carbs will make it worse.

Mauritio

On chinese medicine eye bags are associated with kidney health .

Mossy

I get this as well when I take aspirin or vitamin E, so I’m going to guess it’s the blood thinning affect. Just a guess. I took aspirin last night (white willow bark), but I added vitamin C, magnesium, and vitamin K (topically). I would say the dark circles and any puffiness is reduced. This is purely anecdotal and not scientific — because that’s how I roll.

Vinny

If you have a thiamine deficiency the coffee and sugar and carbs will make it worse.
Why?
And, how do you check for thiamine deficiency?
Also, is thiamine deficiency causing leaky gut or it`s opposite?
I`ve got dark circles and eye bags for long time. I`m not hypothyroid.

mostlylurking

Coffee has something that blocks thiamine: Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency
"Finally, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, and tannic acid in coffee, tea, and energy drinks, oxidize the thiazole ring of the thiamine molecule, impairing its absorption, while the added sugars, flavors and other substances to enhance taste, increase thiamine demand. Sixty-two percent of Americans consume an average of three cups of coffee per day [163], suggesting this popular food item may contribute more to TD than acknowledged."

Thiamine is required to convert sugars (=carbs) into energy. The body's store a thiamine can get used up from an over abundance of sugars.

"Metabolically, high carbohydrate diets, especially those composed of highly processed, high sugar-added foods [128], are associated with hyperglycemia [129], along with up to 80% of the comorbid cardiovascular disease [130], a good percentage of neurocognitive disorders [131], and the general metabolic ill-health that plagues western countries [132]. Hyperglycemia, in turn, is frequently associated with nutrient deficiency and metabolic dysfunction affecting not just glucose handling, but fatty acid and amino acid handling as well. With hyperglycemia, the metabolism of excess sugars, those that cannot enter OXPHOS or the PPP, are diverted through the polyol/sorbitol, hexosamine, diacylglycerol/PKC, AGE pathways [67], leading to both decrements in ATP production and macro- and microvascular cell damage [69,133]. This is in addition to poor BCAA catabolism [134] with increased branched chain keto acids [80], and poor fatty acid metabolism with increased phytanic acid and disrupted sphingolipid homeostasis [81,82]. In the heart, ATP production shifts from preferred fatty acid oxidation pathway towards anaerobic glycolysis, a tale tell marker of metabolic inflexibility associated with heart failure [135], but also, wet beriberi [136]. In the brain, this pattern of metabolic dysfunction has been linked Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [137] and the symptoms of dry beriberi and WE, depending upon chronicity and severity. Each of these patterns, and the symptoms that manifest, is modulated by thiamine status relative to carbohydrate intake [136]."

Or, you could simply try taking some, which is what I did. Within 45 minutes, all my inflammation (lactic acidosis) disappeared and my body temperature went up a full degree to normal (98.6).

Yes. Both are correct.
I had the dark circles and eye bags when I had leaky gut. Leaky gut causes food sensitivities/allergies from the partially digested food molecules floating around in the blood stream (ick). See allergy shiners: allergy shiners at DuckDuckGo Endotoxin in the blood is also increased which causes inflammation etc.

and

and

Smelly5

Why?
I'm convinced that the darkness and indented lines from below my eyes was due to a mineral defficiency.
It went away when I stepped up my milk, oranges and coconut water and lowered coffee.

If I drink lots of coffee to the point where even my blood sugar tanks, I usually notice the lines and darkness eventually come back. I don't have 'circles' as such though, so could be different.

I also know that stress and state of my metabolism dictates how well I hold the minerals.
Then, to add lots of coffee ontop of that would be furthering the mineral depletion.

I always thought I was doing enough OJ, milk, oysters etc but it wasn't enough. Without having utopian level thyroid status, its really easy to get depleted.

Last edited:

Vinny

Coffee has something that blocks thiamine: Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency
"Finally, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, and tannic acid in coffee, tea, and energy drinks, oxidize the thiazole ring of the thiamine molecule, impairing its absorption, while the added sugars, flavors and other substances to enhance taste, increase thiamine demand. Sixty-two percent of Americans consume an average of three cups of coffee per day [163], suggesting this popular food item may contribute more to TD than acknowledged."

Thiamine is required to convert sugars (=carbs) into energy. The body's store a thiamine can get used up from an over abundance of sugars.

"Metabolically, high carbohydrate diets, especially those composed of highly processed, high sugar-added foods [128], are associated with hyperglycemia [129], along with up to 80% of the comorbid cardiovascular disease [130], a good percentage of neurocognitive disorders [131], and the general metabolic ill-health that plagues western countries [132]. Hyperglycemia, in turn, is frequently associated with nutrient deficiency and metabolic dysfunction affecting not just glucose handling, but fatty acid and amino acid handling as well. With hyperglycemia, the metabolism of excess sugars, those that cannot enter OXPHOS or the PPP, are diverted through the polyol/sorbitol, hexosamine, diacylglycerol/PKC, AGE pathways [67], leading to both decrements in ATP production and macro- and microvascular cell damage [69,133]. This is in addition to poor BCAA catabolism [134] with increased branched chain keto acids [80], and poor fatty acid metabolism with increased phytanic acid and disrupted sphingolipid homeostasis [81,82]. In the heart, ATP production shifts from preferred fatty acid oxidation pathway towards anaerobic glycolysis, a tale tell marker of metabolic inflexibility associated with heart failure [135], but also, wet beriberi [136]. In the brain, this pattern of metabolic dysfunction has been linked Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [137] and the symptoms of dry beriberi and WE, depending upon chronicity and severity. Each of these patterns, and the symptoms that manifest, is modulated by thiamine status relative to carbohydrate intake [136]."

Or, you could simply try taking some, which is what I did. Within 45 minutes, all my inflammation (lactic acidosis) disappeared and my body temperature went up a full degree to normal (98.6).

Yes. Both are correct.

I had the dark circles and eye bags when I had leaky gut. Leaky gut causes food sensitivities/allergies from the partially digested food molecules floating around in the blood stream (ick). See allergy shiners: allergy shiners at DuckDuckGo Endotoxin in the blood is also increased which causes inflammation etc.

and

and

Wow! Thank you very much for such detailed answer. If I knew it would be like this, I`d have asked more (joke). I appreciate!
:hattip

Vinny

I'm convinced that the darkness and indented lines from below my eyes was due to a mineral defficiency.
It went away when I stepped up my milk, oranges and coconut water and lowered coffee.

If I drink lots of coffee to the point where even my blood sugar tanks, I usually notice the lines and darkness eventually come back. I don't have 'circles' as such though, so could be different.

I also know that stress and state of my metabolism dictates how well I hold the minerals.
Then, to add lots of coffee ontop of that would be furthering the mineral depletion.

I always thought I was doing enough OJ, milk, oysters etc but it wasn't enough. Without having utopian level thyroid status, its really easy to get depleted.
Thank you very much for giving me another clue. I notice sometimes, that after my coffee I get sleepy, fatigued. It should be the opposite, right? So, I`ll skip the coffee routine for a week or two and we`ll see....