Aspirin Lowers Serum Ferritin Levels

haidut

Forum Supporter
It has long been known that people taking aspirin have lower serum iron levels, but I think this is one of the few studies that shows an effect of aspirin on ferritin as well. So, taking aspirin could be an alternative to giving blood. Unfortunately, this was an observation study so no information on effective dose can be deduced.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11470724

"...CONCLUSIONS: Aspirin use is associated with lower SF. We suggest this effect results from possible increased occult blood loss and a cytokine-mediated effect on SF in subjects with inflammation, infection, or liver disease. The relations between aspirin, inflammation, and SF may confound epidemiologic associations between elevated SF, as an indicator of iron stores, and heart disease risk."

Ledo

From the 2001 study conclusion:

"We suggest that one possible way to eliminate potential confounding by aspirin use in epidemiologic studies of SF and chronic disease is to include only those subjects with an undetectable CRP as determined by an ultrasensitive CRP assay. To our knowledge, this has not been done in any of the prospective studies examining the association between elevated SF concentrations and risk of MI"

So is iron being lowered by aspirin use or just SF reflective of inflammation AND do both or just one ( iron or inflammation) matter as they pertain to chronic disease?

messtafarian

This is problematic with my low iron. I've been taking it to manage inflammation but maybe it's not a good idea if that's true.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ledo said:
post 104328 From the 2001 study conclusion:

"We suggest that one possible way to eliminate potential confounding by aspirin use in epidemiologic studies of SF and chronic disease is to include only those subjects with an undetectable CRP as determined by an ultrasensitive CRP assay. To our knowledge, this has not been done in any of the prospective studies examining the association between elevated SF concentrations and risk of MI"

So is iron being lowered by aspirin use or just SF reflective of inflammation AND do both or just one ( iron or inflammation) matter as they pertain to chronic disease?

Low ferritin means low iron stores. Whether that means lower inflammation is not always clear but testing CRP and ESR would tell you that. In general, the lower the ferritin the lower inflammation since iron plays such a prominent role in inflammatory reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Douglas Ek

It has long been known that people taking aspirin have lower serum iron levels, but I think this is one of the few studies that shows an effect of aspirin on ferritin as well. So, taking aspirin could be an alternative to giving blood. Unfortunately, this was an observation study so no information on effective dose can be deduced.

Aspirin intake and the use of serum ferritin as a measure of iron status. - PubMed - NCBI

"...CONCLUSIONS: Aspirin use is associated with lower SF. We suggest this effect results from possible increased occult blood loss and a cytokine-mediated effect on SF in subjects with inflammation, infection, or liver disease. The relations between aspirin, inflammation, and SF may confound epidemiologic associations between elevated SF, as an indicator of iron stores, and heart disease risk."

Hi!
I used to have low Iron and ferritin and experienced a lot of fatigue. Now my ferritin is between 100-150 and i feel fine. But everytime I take even a single dose of say 300mg aspirin after half a day or next day i get the same fatigue symptoms as when I had low iron. Its more like a mental tiredness than fatigue in the body. Could this be the reason and could aspirin some how even disrupt iron metabolism that quickly? Id like to take aspirin now and then just for the health benefits but i really cant without it causing the fatigue. And if I supplement iron same day as the aspirin the fatigue doesnt occur. Wondering if im just really sensitive or have a big need for iron. Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Ps also notice if i take bigger doses aspirin before bed i wake up with lots of coagulated blood in my nose. If I dont take aspirin and supplement vitamin K2 i never get this. Could a vitamin K deficiency cause anemia?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi!
I used to have low Iron and ferritin and experienced a lot of fatigue. Now my ferritin is between 100-150 and i feel fine. But everytime I take even a single dose of say 300mg aspirin after half a day or next day i get the same fatigue symptoms as when I had low iron. Its more like a mental tiredness than fatigue in the body. Could this be the reason and could aspirin some how even disrupt iron metabolism that quickly? Id like to take aspirin now and then just for the health benefits but i really cant without it causing the fatigue. And if I supplement iron same day as the aspirin the fatigue doesnt occur. Wondering if im just really sensitive or have a big need for iron. Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Ps also notice if i take bigger doses aspirin before bed i wake up with lots of coagulated blood in my nose. If I dont take aspirin and supplement vitamin K2 i never get this. Could a vitamin K deficiency cause anemia?

I doubt just 300mg aspirin would cause iron depletion to the point of causing fatigue. More likely, if aspirin lowers FFA and you don't have much glycogen stored in the liver then that could cause fatigue as the body will not have much fuel to go on. The blood in the nose is a sign of too much aspirin and a need for vitamin K. I would switch to aspirin maybe 2-3 times a week and taken with vitamin K. I don't know if vitamin K can cause anemia but I know of human case studies where vitamin K raised RBC and hemoglobin values.

Douglas Ek

I doubt just 300mg aspirin would cause iron depletion to the point of causing fatigue. More likely, if aspirin lowers FFA and you don't have much glycogen stored in the liver then that could cause fatigue as the body will not have much fuel to go on. The blood in the nose is a sign of too much aspirin and a need for vitamin K. I would switch to aspirin maybe 2-3 times a week and taken with vitamin K. I don't know if vitamin K can cause anemia but I know of human case studies where vitamin K raised RBC and hemoglobin values.

Ok thanks for your reply!

Kray

Does your comment about vitamin K mean than too much could cause or contribute to iron overload?

Kray

Does your comment about vitamin K mean that it can cause iron levels to rise?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does your comment about vitamin K mean than too much could cause or contribute to iron overload?

Not aware of any such effects of vitamin K. Just because it opposes aspirin's effects on coagulation does not mean it will oppose its effects on ferritin too.

Douglas Ek

Ok, thanks.

If it can oppose coagulation it could obviously lead to increased iron retention. More bleeding equalls bigger loss of blood which contains iron. It could probably help retain blood and increase hemoglobin.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If it can oppose coagulation it could obviously lead to increased iron retention. More bleeding equalls bigger loss of blood which contains iron. It could probably help retain blood and increase hemoglobin.

True, but aspirin's iron lowering effect goes beyond bleeding. It can directly chelate it. I don't think vitamin K opposes that effect.
Aspirin Chelates Iron

Kray

If it can oppose coagulation it could obviously lead to increased iron retention. More bleeding equalls bigger loss of blood which contains iron. It could probably help retain blood and increase hemoglobin.[/QUOT
True, but aspirin's iron lowering effect goes beyond bleeding. It can directly chelate it. I don't think vitamin K opposes that effect.
Aspirin Chelates Iron

Aha- that gets to the point I was questioning. If one is considering aspirin for its iron-chelating benefits, vitamin K won't counteract that function.

LucH

Aspirin, salicine from white willow bark, and curcumine may also lower platelet agregation (and hemoglobin level), even when your ferritin level is high (> 200).

lvysaur

I have noticed a very specific red meat craving when I take aspirin. Usually I just crave meat regardless of type, and sometimes even find red meat to be too "heavy".

maillol

Dose-wise I found this:

Iron is a demonstrated carcinogen in numerous animal studies, and can be a considered a ferrotoxic disease.[3] In humans, excess iron is a risk factor for cancer, and lowering iron levels can reduce the risk of cancer.[4]

Long-term aspirin use lowers body iron stores.[5] Serum ferritin values in regular aspirin users have been found to be from 20 to 50% lower than in non-users.

The molar mass of aspirin is 180 g/mol, while that of iron is 55. One molecule of aspirin produces one of salicylate, which then reacts on a one to one basis with an atom of iron. It can be seen that the ingestion of 75 mg of aspirin daily has the theoretical potential to eliminate ~25 mg of iron, a large amount exceeding the estimated daily intake of approximately 20 mg a day for both men and women in the U.S. Therefore long-term aspirin use could result in a large decrease in body iron stores.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals