Aspirin Is An Anti-depressant As Effective As Pharma Drugs

Parsifal

Great find! I wonder if it could be the lysine in aspirin (aspirin in my country comes in the form of DL-Lysine acetylsalicylate) which depletes tryptophan?

aguilaroja

Effects of aspirin on immobile behavior and endocrine and immune changes in the forced swimming test: comparison to fluoxetine and imipramine. - PubMed - NCBI
"Aspirin dose-dependently decreased immobility in the Forced Swim Test, ...
Aspirin's anti-depressant activity is dose dependent....

The same study was also discussed in this thread:
Aspirin is an anti-depressant as effective as pharma drugs

This abstract shows further antidepressant findings and may be of interest:

Role of Aspirin and Dexamethasone against Experimentally Induced Depression in Rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Role of Aspirin and Dexamethasone against Experimentally Induced Depression in Rats.
Bhatt S, Shukla P, Raval J, Goswami S.
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2015 Dec 8. doi: 10.1111/bcpt.12539.
"Tests performed towards the end of the study included Sucrose preference test, behavioural tests like forced swim test, elevated plus maze, light dark box, locomotor activity, and biochemical estimations like serum cortisol and brain neurotransmitters. Disease control group (CMS-treated) produced significant depressive behaviour in rats. The animals treated with aspirin showed increased sucrose preference, decreased immobility time in forced swim test, decreased serum cortisol and increased brain serotonin levels signifying antidepressant action. In contrast, there was aggravation of depressive behaviour in rats treated with dexamethasone."

I have not seen the full study to know their method estimating brain serotonin. Other studies suggest aspirin reduces the serotonin load, such as:

Aspirin attenuates pulmonary arterial hypertension in rats by reducing plasma 5-hydroxytryptamine levels. - PubMed - NCBI
Aspirin attenuates pulmonary arterial hypertension in rats by reducing plasma 5-hydroxytryptamine levels.
Shen L, Shen J, Pu J, He B.
Cell Biochem Biophys. 2011 Sep;61(1):23-31. doi: 10.1007/s12013-011-9156-x.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@Giraffe, could you please merge the threads somehow given that this is a duplicate study?
Thanks in advance.

scarlettsmum

Can't wait to get back on it, was told to wait a month after a surgery, two weeks to go. I too can confirm the calming effects of aspirin. It's like a warm hug.:)

Peata

What do you guys do if you get tinnitus from it? K2, glycine?

P.G.Marjorie

I dont know,if its just me or what, but Aspirin makes me depressed and cant fall asleep. It should be the opposite,right? Once it induced my period. Now Im trying to induce again,because i feel my ovary cyst grown again: ,but I got same symptoms of depression, difficult sleep and sore breasts . I usually take 2tablets a day (600mg a day). Also it seems to lower my body temperature a bit. Do you know whats happening ?

Constatine

I dont know,if its just me or what, but Aspirin makes me depressed and cant fall asleep. It should be the opposite,right? Once it induced my period. Now Im trying to induce again,because i feel my ovary cyst grown again: ,but I got same symptoms of depression, difficult sleep and sore breasts . I usually take 2tablets a day (600mg a day). Also it seems to lower my body temperature a bit. Do you know whats happening ?
Perhaps you are not eating enough on it. If you artificially raise the metabolism higher than your caloric input would allow then you will crash. How many calories do you eat? I find I need to eat around 4000 calories a day when on supplements that raise my metabolism. Its worth mentioning that I get the same symptoms as you if I don't eat enough while on aspirin.

X3CyO

probably should be in another thread but @haidut, do you think that using antidepressents or antianxiety drugs is more beneficial for a person to adapt versus just pushing through the negative?

cdg

According to this study, aspirin in human equivalent doses of 250mg-500mg (maybe even higher given the administration was intraperrinoteal) is as affective as pharmacological antidepressants.

Effects of aspirin on immobile behavior and endocrine and immune changes in the forced swimming test: comparison to fluoxetine and imipramine. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Aspirin (ASP) is the most commonly used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug in the world. Recent clinical and preclinical evidence suggests that ASP may also exert psychoactive effects. It remains unclear whether ASP has antidepressant-like activity, and any molecular mechanisms underlying such activity have yet to be elucidated. Using the forced swimming test (FST), a well-established animal model of depression widely used to screen potential antidepressants in rodents, we investigated the effects of subacute treatment with ASP (0, 6, 12, 25, and 50mg/kg, i.p.) on immobility in the FST, and on FST-induced changes in endocrine and immune parameters in rats, in comparison to the clinical antidepressants imipramine (IMI) and fluoxetine (FLU). Serum levels of corticosterone, pro-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) were determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. ASP dose-dependently decreased immobility in the FST, without altering the locomotor activity in the open-field test. The inhibitory effects of higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) of ASP on immobility were similar to that of FLU and IMI at a dose of 10mg/kg. In addition, the levels of corticosterone, IL-6, and TNF-α in peripheral blood were significantly increased after the FST exposure. IMI, but not FLU and ASP at any dose tested, significantly attenuated corticosterone responses in the FST. Both FLU and IMI treatment reduced the increase of IL-6 and TNF-α levels following the FST exposure. ASP dose-dependently decreased FST-induced increase of cytokine levels, as manifested by significantly stronger effects on IL-6 and TNF-α levels at higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) than the lowest dose of ASP (6 mg/kg). In all, these results indicate that ASP treatment dose-dependently decreased the immobility time and the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines in the FST, suggesting that the anti-inflammatory effects of ASP might be involved in the antidepressant-like effect."

In addition to the decrease in inflammation, the higher dose aspirin (HED 650mg - 800mg) also lowered cortisol. High cortisol is one of the main biomarkers of depression.
"...However, ASP had a moderate inhibitory effect on corticosteronelevels in the FST group at 50 mg/kg compared with 12 and 25 mg/kg (pb 0.05). In the present study, we investigated the dose–response effects of ASP on immobility behavior, endocrine, and immune responses in the FST, in comparison to the effects of the antidepressants FLU and IMI at 10 mg/kg. We found that ASP (0, 6, 12, 25, 50 mg/kg) dose-dependently decreased immobility durations in the FST to a similar degree as FLU and IMI treatment. Treatment with FLU, IMI, and ASP at higher doses significantly attenuated FST-induced increases in serum IL-6 and TNF-α levels. In addition, IMI treatment attenuated FST-induced increases in serum corticosterone levels."

What do you make of https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/article-abstract/2732929?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=content-shareicons&utm_content=article_engagement&utm_medium=social&utm_term=112119&fbclid=IwAR22g3vAeTx8ETsUYsmypWXxWj7BkVrMkczDoZ4ImGS7y8_U36Xs4rMQanQ#.XdaK569VM2o.facebook ?