Aspirin Is An Anti-depressant As Effective As Pharma Drugs

haidut

Forum Supporter
According to this study, aspirin in human equivalent doses of 250mg-500mg (maybe even higher given the administration was intraperrinoteal) is as affective as pharmacological antidepressants.

Effects of aspirin on immobile behavior and endocrine and immune changes in the forced swimming test: comparison to fluoxetine and imipramine. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Aspirin (ASP) is the most commonly used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug in the world. Recent clinical and preclinical evidence suggests that ASP may also exert psychoactive effects. It remains unclear whether ASP has antidepressant-like activity, and any molecular mechanisms underlying such activity have yet to be elucidated. Using the forced swimming test (FST), a well-established animal model of depression widely used to screen potential antidepressants in rodents, we investigated the effects of subacute treatment with ASP (0, 6, 12, 25, and 50mg/kg, i.p.) on immobility in the FST, and on FST-induced changes in endocrine and immune parameters in rats, in comparison to the clinical antidepressants imipramine (IMI) and fluoxetine (FLU). Serum levels of corticosterone, pro-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) were determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. ASP dose-dependently decreased immobility in the FST, without altering the locomotor activity in the open-field test. The inhibitory effects of higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) of ASP on immobility were similar to that of FLU and IMI at a dose of 10mg/kg. In addition, the levels of corticosterone, IL-6, and TNF-α in peripheral blood were significantly increased after the FST exposure. IMI, but not FLU and ASP at any dose tested, significantly attenuated corticosterone responses in the FST. Both FLU and IMI treatment reduced the increase of IL-6 and TNF-α levels following the FST exposure. ASP dose-dependently decreased FST-induced increase of cytokine levels, as manifested by significantly stronger effects on IL-6 and TNF-α levels at higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) than the lowest dose of ASP (6 mg/kg). In all, these results indicate that ASP treatment dose-dependently decreased the immobility time and the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines in the FST, suggesting that the anti-inflammatory effects of ASP might be involved in the antidepressant-like effect."

In addition to the decrease in inflammation, the higher dose aspirin (HED 650mg - 800mg) also lowered cortisol. High cortisol is one of the main biomarkers of depression.
"...However, ASP had a moderate inhibitory effect on corticosteronelevels in the FST group at 50 mg/kg compared with 12 and 25 mg/kg (pb 0.05). In the present study, we investigated the dose–response effects of ASP on immobility behavior, endocrine, and immune responses in the FST, in comparison to the effects of the antidepressants FLU and IMI at 10 mg/kg. We found that ASP (0, 6, 12, 25, 50 mg/kg) dose-dependently decreased immobility durations in the FST to a similar degree as FLU and IMI treatment. Treatment with FLU, IMI, and ASP at higher doses significantly attenuated FST-induced increases in serum IL-6 and TNF-α levels. In addition, IMI treatment attenuated FST-induced increases in serum corticosterone levels."

Last edited:

Gl;itch.e

does it give a supposed method of action?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gl;itch.e said:

It does, the study says it is the aspirin's anti-inflammatory effects that make it an anti-depressant. Not sure if I buy this, given that we know aspirin does a lot more including lowering serotonin and estrogen.

Gl;itch.e

haidut said:
Gl;itch.e said:

It does, the study says it is the aspirin's anti-inflammatory effects that make it an anti-depressant. Not sure if I buy this, given that we know aspirin does a lot more including lowering serotonin and estrogen.
True. But wouldnt lowering serotonin and estrogen effectively also lower inflammation? Its probably the synergistic effects of both lower serotonin and inflammation.

dukez07

I've just recieved my 'AniMed, HorseCare Aspirin'. I won't be giving it to my horse, but how do I measure out 500mg without scales?

Would you say a tsp roughly translates to such an amount? Has anyone started out with such a dose and are there things to watch out for? Like, I know it is a blood thinner and higher doses at first might irritate the stomach? 'Decreased fertility' doesn't sound fun - I've come across this a few times now from some sites. Some studies I came across said that it increases steroid syntheis short term, but decreased it long term. I know RP says differently in his aspirin article, but i am wondering what the real world results are.

Hugh Johnson

haidut said:
According to this study, aspirin in human equivalent doses of 250mg-500mg (maybe even higher given the administration was intraperrinoteal) is as affective as pharmacological antidepressants.

Effects of aspirin on immobile behavior and endocrine and immune changes in the forced swimming test: comparison to fluoxetine and imipramine. - PubMed - NCBI

Are you sure you are reading it right? The abstract says:

ASP dose-dependently decreased immobility in the FST, without altering the locomotor activity in the open-field test. The inhibitory effects of higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) of ASP on immobility were similar to that of FLU and IMI at a dose of 10mg/kg.

Which kind of suggests that you need more like 1250-5000mg to have an effect comparable to fluoxetine.

Also, has anyone got access to the full article? I'd like to know if the research seems good and if the abstract represents the research accurately.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hugh Johnson said:
haidut said:

Are you sure you are reading it right? The abstract says:

ASP dose-dependently decreased immobility in the FST, without altering the locomotor activity in the open-field test. The inhibitory effects of higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) of ASP on immobility were similar to that of FLU and IMI at a dose of 10mg/kg.

Which kind of suggests that you need more like 1250-5000mg to have an effect comparable to fluoxetine.

Also, has anyone got access to the full article? I'd like to know if the research seems good and if the abstract represents the research accurately.

Yes, I think I am reading it right. A dose of 25mg-50mg per kg of bodyweight for a rat translates to roughly 250mg-500mg (total) for a human IF it was given orally. However, it was given via IP route, which is similar to oral except has between 1.5-2 fold higher bioavailability compared to oral. So, to achieve similar results a human would need to take about twice the oral dose. That's how I come up with a human dosage of about 1,000mg. Dosages for rat are not the same for human. I posted a study several months ago about the conversion ratios and that's what I using to get the human dose.

dukez07

Took 1/4 of a tsp today. First time I've ever tried it. Noticeable less 'body load'. Perhaps my body has been inflamed all this time? And there was me thinking that I am nowhere near as unhealthy as other people. Sure feels like aspirin is giving me a break. It makes me feel 'lighter'. So far, I'm impressed with it.

koganmj

I take an SSRI, desvenlafaxine, I am would be very interested in using aspirin as an anti-depressant. I'm still in the early stages of my journey along the Ray Peat philosphy and don't really know anything about aspirin. Would someone be able to list me with some resources I can study in order to get educated about how I could use aspirin therapeutically?

gretchen

Works for me.

I thought I read it was more like 1,000 mg. I think it was a schizophrenia study.

loess

I continue to discover more and more beneficial uses for aspirin, it's an incredible tool as long as you consume it in the proper context and support the metabolic processes while using it. I have been traveling lately and eating much more commercial strained yogurt than usual out of convenience and easy availability when I cannot find decent milk. Sometimes up to 6-8 cups per day. I'm pretty sure the histamines and lactic acid in the yogurt overloaded my system as I have become congested and fatigued over the past few days and have developed a cough and runny nose. A couple of nights ago my sinuses were at their worst, quite inflamed and headachey. I remembered that I had brought some aspirin powder with me so I dissolved about 1/2 teaspoon in hot water and took it. Within minutes I felt extensive relief from the inflammation and an overall calm that helped me get to sleep...truly amazing. Ten thumbs up for aspirin, and I am nixing the yogurt for now.

Yves

One of the first things I noticed about aspirin was it improved my mood and greatly lowered social anxiety (a couple grams can radically alter my personality from introvert to extrovert).

Bluebell

That's interesting Yves, do you take it every day on a long-term basis and still get that effect as your new normal? or does it only work like that if you haven't been taking it then take 2g all at once?

Yves

It does seem to wear off after a while, but if I take it every day It becomes a set-point of sorts, so when I slide backwards I immediately know how bad things are in comparison. This is why I think it's important to experiment with drugs (aspirin, thyroid, ondansetron, etc) because it gives you a feeling of how things should be when you feel healthy, otherwise you don't know what you're working towards. Recently I've found the side effects of aspirin (bruising, ear ringing, kidney soreness) are much lower for me if I take a 1-2 tabs every few hours instead of 1-2g at once. I still take 2-3g a day, but spread out like this is better. I am suspicious that for me the antimicrobial effects of aspirin may explain this, since antimicrobials tend to work best if at a constant exposure instead of one big blast.

narouz

Thanks, Yves.
I'll try that.
How many/much K's you take?

Do you like any of the other Peaty drugs
like lisuride, cyprohetadine, bromocriptine, tianeptine...?

Yves

I take Ondansetron (zofran). I used to take cabergoline, thyroid, and pregnenlone in the past, but feel like aspirin+zofran gives the best results with least side effects for me. I have days were I feel pretty good. Cyprohetadine and the co2 boosting drug never did much for me.

I don't measure the k2, but I take several liqud k2 drops almost every day and eat well cooked green vegetables like spinach, and a multivitamin, so I think I'm covered on the vitamin k1/k2.

smithhaller

where does the stomach bleeding claim of aspirin come from? Is it true? My father had been taking about ten to twelve 500mg Bayer aspirins/day (prescribed by his Doctor) to treat his arthritis. He did this for at least 10 years. He now gets constant ringing in his ears.

jyb

smithhaller said:
where does the stomach bleeding claim of aspirin come from? Is it true? My father had been taking about ten to twelve 500mg Bayer aspirins/day (prescribed by his Doctor) to treat his arthritis. He did this for at least 10 years. He now gets constant ringing in his ears.

Classic K2 deficiency created by aspirin. A few mg's of K2 might be enough to heal the ringing completely in a few hours.

Dopamine

[ moderator edit: threads merged, same study ]

Effects of aspirin on immobile behavior and endocrine and immune changes in the forced swimming test: comparison to fluoxetine and imipramine.

"Aspirin dose-dependently decreased immobility in the Forced Swim Test, without altering the locomotor activity in the open-field test. The inhibitory effects of higher doses (25 and 50mg/kg) of Aspirin on immobility were similar to that of Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Imipramine at a dose of 10mg/kg."

Aspirins anti-depressant activity is dose dependent. The human effective aspirin dosage in this study that had comparable effects to the clinical anti-depressants would be covered by a regular strength 325mg aspirin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals